Donkey Kong Country overrated?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 3rd, 2010, 9:13 am

for the life of me, i can't understand why some of you find the DKC series to be so overrated. but hey, i'm sure there are those who find the super mario and zelda series putrid, so i guess it all boils down to what you like.

i've always loved the first two DKC on the SNES. the graphics, the gameplay, the music, it all worked for me. and i'm really stoked about the Wii version coming out in november.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » July 11th, 2010, 7:32 am

It's just a mediocre plattformer with "good" graphics. The game falls into the same category as those other boring "control an animal, collect some stuff, jump on enemies"-Plattformers, like Aero the Acro-Bat, Zool, Bubsy, James Pond and so on. It was the same boring gameplay, no innovation, boring level design with little interesting points and not even the secret caves and levels were that good and riding other animals was far from creative. Super Mario did it, even Golden Axe did it and a lot of other games too.

I don't even think that the graphic is that good. It looks like plastic, it's sometimes hard to tell what is background and what is not. I like good 2D Graphic like in the Sonic Games or SMW more and SMW 2 had a beautiful art design.

DKC 2 was a huge improvement (still not an awesome game) and i also think that the third game had some nice and interesting levels and tried to be a bit more creative. But the first one is just a boring, mediocre mess.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 11th, 2010, 5:24 pm

You guys are doing this on purpose in order to make me re-review all three aren't you? 

I'm on it...

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » July 11th, 2010, 6:45 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]You guys are doing this on purpose in order to make me re-review all three aren't you? 

I'm on it...

[/QUOTE]

Please do not change it if you do not want to. 

Is it me or am I seeing more reader opinions being a part of re-review more than what you think yourself?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 12th, 2010, 7:39 am

Over-rated is an understatment.  The games suck entirely, and SNES fans consider it the "the SNES beats the Genesis" series.  Super Mario World is 10,000 times the game this is, so I don't know why SNES owners, who got SMW as a pack-in, were blown away by this junk.  DKC < Bubsy. 

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » July 12th, 2010, 12:17 pm

DKC is far from mediocre.  It is a solid platform title.  The one area where it doesn't compare to Sonic and Mario, is that aside from its cutting edge graphics, the game has little innovation.  But honestly, does the game really need to be innovative to be fun if its taking all of the things that work?

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 12th, 2010, 10:33 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]

Over-rated is an understatment.  The games suck entirely, and SNES fans consider it the "the SNES beats the Genesis" series.  Super Mario World is 10,000 times the game this is, so I don't know why SNES owners, who got SMW as a pack-in, were blown away by this junk.  DKC < Bubsy. 

[/QUOTE]

atarifever, would you mind elaborating? and by the way, i think DKC is 875,342,789,321,130 times better than busby . and there was not much innovation to the 2D Super Mario for the Wii; the multi player mode was not innovative at all. but it was fun to play, and that's the bottom line. it's almost like slagging on DKC is the hip thing to do now.

steerforth

Postby steerforth » July 13th, 2010, 7:59 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben][QUOTE=Atarifever]

[/QUOTE]

atarifever, would you mind elaborating? and by the way, i think DKC is 875,342,789,321,130 times better than busby . and there was not much innovation to the 2D Super Mario for the Wii; the multi player mode was not innovative at all. but it was fun to play, and that's the bottom line. it's almost like slagging on DKC is the hip thing to do now.
[/QUOTE]

What irks me about this is NSMBWii is so much better than DKC on all respects.

Level design, by miles and miles, control is way better, everything is. Also designing an entire game for 4 player simu play is innovative, and having platforms that can be moved while you are controllingcthe game character concurrently is innovative. The game also had various other wrinkles. NSMBWii broke more ground than it gets credit for. I cannot imagine why you would even compare the 2?

I say DKC is still very revered, like the overrated SNES in general, and only a select few slag on it, and I have been slagging on it for a long time. 

It will be interesting to see how good DKCReturns is - I say better than the Rare game but no where near mainline Mario or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which was made by the same studio who made Mario Galaxy, and it shows. Cream rises to the top!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » July 13th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I never said it sucked. All I said was it wasn't the goody goody joy game everyone seems to call it around here. I'll admit I liked controlling Diddy Kong and the level designs of the first two and the great soundtrack.

But it's still flawed [some which I mentioned earlier] to the point that I can't give them a better grade than I would New Super Mario Bros. or Tomb Raider Legend.

I'm sorry I honestly enjoyed the works of SEGA and Blue Sky Software over the almighty Big N/Rare combo SHEESH! I'm sorry traveling through futuristic worlds as a green robot is more appealing than climbing through jungles as an ape.

DKC < Vectorman

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 14th, 2010, 7:07 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]
it's almost like slagging on DKC is the hip thing to do now.
[/QUOTE]

1) The platforming is too stiff
2) The level design is boring and repetititive
3) The swimming is (like it ALL Rare games, ever) terrible and frustrating in the series.
4) I have never done anything to be hip (except be incredibly square).

Return to “Classic Gaming”