VGC, what is the best console ever made?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 19th, 2010, 1:56 am

Albeit lacking in colors, many GB games actually boast impressive, detailed graphics. Games like Dragon's Lair, Gargoyle's Quest, Tiny Toons... The list
goes on.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » June 22nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

If there's one game that's going to get Dave to play GB my vote goes for the sci-fi remake of Bionic Commando. Best control in the series, little blurring as was common in GB games, and I still play it to this day.

Best console ever...Super Nintendo.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 3rd, 2010, 3:45 pm

1. PS2
2. NES
3. Genesis
4. Xbox 360
5. Dreamcast

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » July 3rd, 2010, 6:56 pm

The Commodore 64 with a fully-functional 1541 disk drive!!!!  No, not really but it is a new month and I feel the need to give the C-64 it's rightful shout-out on this bad-ass site.

"Greatest" is always subjective but in terms of longevity & durability there are only two without a doubt:

Atari 2600
Sega Genesis

I believe a lot of you twenty-somethings are going to be greatly disappointed when these CD-based games don't work when you are in your late 30's (as I am). Scuffs, nicks and hand-slime...... Cartridge-based systems are just better & stand the test of time.

On a side note, I am amazed still to this day that most of my 5 1/4 floppy disks still work perfectly for the C-64.  I always did take special care of them.  Every successful boot-up of Lode-Runner, Montezuma's Revenge or Bruce Lee makes me smile. 

While many games did differ between systems I would love the VGC to have a section dedicated to his Atari computer system.  There is a TRUE GAP on this website where allegedly a lot of us "old" people stopped playing Atari, Colecovison and Intellivision.  The assumption is that we just waited for the NES to come out.  WRONG!!!   Most of us avid gamers upgraded to the home computers of the day.  The well-chronicled "Great Video Game Crash of 1983" had a lot to do with many of us ditching the garbage offered by third-party companies (and Atari) and upgrading to a superior home computer.  I assure you that many fans of this site were playing video games in '84 and '85 before the NES came out.  What were we playing?????  A Commodore or Atari.

I know that that the the VGC (as well as Paul C.) is close to me in age (38).  I also suspect Alienblue and Pixelcade are slightly older than us but truly offer a historical perspective that should be listened to.  I got my Atari VCS in August 1981 - that's where I started.

Happy July 4th weekend to all.......cherish the fact that we are still Americans.  It still feels pretty freakin' good even with all the turmoil going on!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 4th, 2010, 1:02 am

The Atari 2600 has always been my favorite. If I had to pick just one, the VCS is easier at the top on my favorites list.

The Super Nintendo has to be my second favorite.

That's about as far as I could put my consoles in any particular order. These two stand above the rest and I'd have difficulty ranking any others.

Return to “Classic Gaming”