If OST's made or broke games..........

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 21st, 2010, 2:11 pm

What would your 5 favorites be? And would your top 10 choices still be on the top 10?

My personal favorites would be

5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Incredibly memorable from the Goron theme,to the windmills,even the Korkiri {or however it's supposed to be spelled} Forest)

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (The orchestarted approach from Galaxy was great and made a whole lot better with a lot more vairety. Galaxys themes sounded mostly soft than loud and focused too much on the whole orchestra and not enough solos. Galaxy 2 added even more variety and the audio was better as well. A shame the gameplay isn't quite up to par)

3. Tomb Raider (Great themes very scary,intense,much like the game itself. Too bad it's mostly quiet and the themes only come on when you see a monster or unlock something)

2.Yoshi's Island (The great introduction,the catchy levels,frantic boss battles,and heartbraking credits,the OST transcends the gameplay by a longshot)

1.Super Mario 64 (When I reviewed this game I clearly said that I could've given the game an A+ on the OST alone.Maybe it's nostalgia but I just can't help but let out a small tear when I hear that Final Battle with Bowser. The staff roll is incredible and I still sometimes find myself whistling the Bomb-Omb Battlefield theme. Strangely enough it's only game from my top 10 still on the list)

Honorable mentions to Super Smash Bros. Brawl,Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart 64, Tomb Raider II,and BioShock

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » June 21st, 2010, 3:20 pm

I cannot ever, ever imagine the music of a game determining it's worth, but if an 8-bit entry on any console had an irritating or scratchy loop, I will instantly shut the thing off.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2010, 5:00 pm

What the hell is an OST?  I hate when people use acronyms.

Marching Band

Postby Marching Band » June 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]What the hell is an OST?  I hate when people use acronyms.

[/QUOTE]

Seconded.  I looked up OST on Google, which came up with multiple unrelated results.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 21st, 2010, 5:33 pm

I think it stands for "original soundtrack," (in-game music) to differentiate it from an "arranged soundtrack" (out-of-game music, such as Final Fantasy VI's "Grand Finale," which has FFVI's music played by a live orchestra).

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 21st, 2010, 6:54 pm

So let me gets this straight. No one here has ever had a moment where they've enjoyed the themes more than the gameplay or really enjoyed the gameplay but felt the themes destroyed everything.

What I was trying to get was that gameplay is the most important part,but if that didn't matter and the music itself did what would your favorite games be.

If OST stands for Original Soundtrack,I'll rephrase that to if Soundtracks {in game or out-of-game} made or broke games.After all, I did mention Super Mario Galaxies 1 and 2 which use live orchestras.

I hope this clarifies things up a bit.

andrew

Postby andrew » June 21st, 2010, 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=Marching Band][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]What the hell is an OST?  I hate when people use acronyms.

[/QUOTE]

Seconded.  I looked up OST on Google, which came up with multiple unrelated results.
[/QUOTE]

Oh the irony of that comment given the posters username.
I hate acronyms too but this one is fairly common. Most online sites use that word over soundtrack in the title of an item.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » June 21st, 2010, 8:45 pm

There are a lot of OST's you just have to import them.

I like in no order:

FF3 American
Ninja Gaiden
Metroid
Castlevania
Zelda

Finger dripping ink

Postby Finger dripping ink » June 22nd, 2010, 12:30 pm

The OST for Chrono Trigger is one of the best of all time. I imported it at a cost of $49.99 in 1996...no small change when you consider how much a game would run you. When the PSX version came out on Final Fantasy Chronicles, they released a new one-disc version. Do yourself a favor and get the original three-disc. Bad game music can suck the life out of you, but I think the worst of all is when a company licenses songs from band and you have to listen to them over and over. Tony Hawk 1 was an exception (I think) but following that most games over did it...I'm looking at you, EA!

Return to “Classic Gaming”