The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 19th, 2011, 3:30 pm

The Gamecube is underrated, but calling it the most underrated system ever is ridiculous. I like the Gamecube, and I think Super Mario Sunshine is very underrated. It's an A+ in my opinion. And there are some other really good games. But it is not a well balanced console, it only caters to kids, and offers very little variety. You want to know the real most underrated system ever. It's the Jaguar. No one even talks about it on forums, and it's as if it doesn't even exist. Yet there are around 20 really good games on it crossing several genres. And of course, my all time favorite, the Neo Geo, which if it wasn't expensive would've been more popular than the Snes and Genesis. It's the only system to bring arcade quality graphics and gameplay to the home. And that earns it a special place in gaming history. But of course no one cares, they'd rather play Nintendo Sega and Sony and pretend like it never existed.

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » June 19th, 2011, 4:59 pm

I think a case for the Turbograx-16, Saturn, and Dreamcast can also be made for most underrated but I think the Gamecube could be touted as one of the most disrespected consoles though. It did not get support except from EA and Ubisoft. It was made fun of for its design and not having DVD playback. It was the "kiddie" console and considered a failure even though the Xbox was considered a success considering it only sold a few million units more and Microsoft lost money on the Xbox. It is a console that does not have a vocal following like the Dreamcast, Saturn, Turbografx and Neo Geo have, at least in my opinion. It does have good first party games and there are some gems like Ikaruga, killer7, Beach Spikers, the Resident Evil series, ect.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » June 19th, 2011, 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]And of course, my all time favorite, the Neo Geo, which if it wasn't expensive would've been more popular than the Snes and Genesis. It's the only system to bring arcade quality graphics and gameplay to the home. And that earns it a special place in gaming history. But of course no one cares, they'd rather play Nintendo Sega and Sony and pretend like it never existed.[/QUOTE]

The Neo Geo is far from underrated.  The fact that SNK still sells its core franchises on modern consoles is proof of that.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » June 21st, 2011, 5:10 am

I've only played on a Gamecube a couple of times and didn't/don't really see the appeal beyond the xbox/ps2 unless you are a diehard Nintendo fan. From my brief play I didn't enjoy F-Zero as much as the N64 game (same with Mario Kart). Most of the other Gamecube specific games were eventually ported to other systems - Super Monkey Ball, killer7, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe. There is Ikaruga, which was already a Dreamcast game, and a few other Dreamcast/Naomi shmup ports. I think there are two GC-exclusive games which slightly interest me - Odama and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, but thats it.

I was also never a fan of the triggers - why did they have the click at the end? 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 21st, 2011, 10:24 am

Going off topic just a bit but there are two really awesome games available on the GameCube that aren't available anywhere else and at least in my book are must plays.

Eternal Darkness - super cool game that evokes the best of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II - long name, awesome game.  Imagine X-Wing with better graphics and more simplified flight management with just as much fun.

gilly

Postby gilly » June 21st, 2011, 11:27 am

[QUOTE=Blueguy93][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Hate to rain on the parade, but what did the GameCube have that Xbox didn't? 

I'm sure someone will throw out a few exclusive titles, but I think those can be offset by the Xbox exclusives.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, okay, okay, the Xbox was also underrated too. You got me, critic
[/QUOTE]

Can we all agree the Cube and Xbox did not sell as well as they should because the PS2 was OVER-RATED?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » June 21st, 2011, 6:15 pm

You know, before I started posting on this site and before I started keeping up with video game news and whatnot, I thought the Gamecube was a really popular system. I'm honestly pretty surprised to hear that it is considered underrated.

gilly

Postby gilly » June 22nd, 2011, 9:55 am

I just realized this is under the "classic gaming" forum.
Shouldn't the Cube be considered modern?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » June 22nd, 2011, 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=gilly]I just realized this is under the "classic gaming" forum.

[/QUOTE]

The "Legacy of the PS2" thread is also under classic gaming. I think they both should be under modern.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » June 22nd, 2011, 7:22 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan]

[QUOTE=gilly]I just realized this is under the "classic gaming" forum.

[/QUOTE]

The "Legacy of the PS2" thread is also under classic gaming. I think they both should be under modern.

[/QUOTE]
I disagree. Classic doesn't necessarily have anything to do with old, and is completely subjective.

Return to “Classic Gaming”