Which is the better game? Castlevania 4 or Bloodlines?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
wunderkid

Postby wunderkid » December 5th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I recently received Bloodlines and loved it, but to say which one is better is kind of hard. I'de probably give a slight edge to CV4 for control and overall length.
What do you think?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 5th, 2011, 9:37 pm

It's been years since I played them, but I remember Bloodlines being very difficult for me. I remember Super Castlevania IV having a much more reasonable difficulty level that made it the superior of the two games.

a1

Postby a1 » December 5th, 2011, 11:10 pm

4. Bloodlines is good, but for some reason you have a limited number of continues, so I haven't beaten it.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 6th, 2011, 1:50 am

I thought they were both pretty hard, but not too frustrating. Bloodlines seemed a bit easier using Eric Lecarde. I think Castlevania IV is way better, no comparison really. It's my 2nd favorite game of the series, right behind SOTN. The music was incredible, some of the best stuff to be pumped out of the SNES. The graphics were also better, with some nifty Mode-7 effects integrated into the levels.

Part 4 is a bonafide SNES classic. You can't say that about Bloodlines on Genesis, although it is a great game in its own right. I read somewhere that Castlevania IV was made by some members of Treasure, before they branched off on their own. The quality shows.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » December 6th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I'm the resident Castlevania nerd on the forum, and I'd have to say Super CV IV wins hands down.  It's not a blow out, but it's not particularly close, either.  Of the four 16 bit games, I think you're missing the best one: Rondo of Blood.  Of the three mentioned games, I also think that Bloodlines has aged the worst.  That's not to say it doesn't hold up today; it's actually very playable.  It's just that both Rondo and SCV IV hold up extremely well and today (20 years later) I think it's pretty safe to say that they always will.  Konami still hasn't made an announcement about what the 25th CV Anniversary project will be, but I'm hoping for an official 2D console game:  "Castlevania V."  Mario, Rayman, and Sonic still work in 2D on consoles, why not Castlevania?

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]I'm the resident Castlevania nerd on the forum, and I'd have to say Super CV IV wins hands down.  It's not a blow out, but it's not particularly close, either.  Of the four 16 bit games, I think you're missing the best one: Rondo of Blood.  Of the three mentioned games, I also think that Bloodlines has aged the worst.  That's not to say it doesn't hold up today; it's actually very playable.  It's just that both Rondo and SCV IV hold up extremely well and today (20 years later) I think it's pretty safe to say that they always will.  Konami still hasn't made an announcement about what the 25th CV Anniversary project will be, but I'm hoping for an official 2D console game:  "Castlevania V."  Mario, Rayman, and Sonic still work in 2D on consoles, why not Castlevania?[/QUOTE]
Isn't Rondo of Blood technically an 8-bit game? Most of us in America never got a chance to play that game anyways, until the PSP Castlevania. We only got the sub-par SNES port.

wunderkid

Postby wunderkid » December 6th, 2011, 11:00 pm

I didn't include Rondo because I was more comparing the Genny and Snes versions of the famous konami franchises. Has anyone ever played Sega's Master of Darkness? It's the clone of all clones, just awesome.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » January 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm

EASILY bloodlines. It has a better feel, and better music. I thought the SNES castlevainias stage design was boring and complicated. While CV4 was a good game in its own the right, the Bloodlines just blew me away. It seems when it comes to games made by konami, the genesis always gets the better game!

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » January 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm

[QUOTE=Stephen] It seems when it comes to games made by konami, the genesis always gets the better game![/QUOTE]

Haven't played Zombies Ate My Neighbors, eh?

Super Castlevania IV for the win. Bloodlines isn't bad though. You can download Rondo of Blood on the Virtual Console if you don't have a PC Engine/TG-16.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » January 19th, 2012, 10:46 pm

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Stephen
It seems when it comes to games made by konami, the genesis always gets the better game![/QUOTE]

*facepalm*

Okay, I appreciate that you love the Genesis more than the Super Nintendo, but no.  Just, No.  Bloodlines has the better music?  No.  Contra Hard Corps better than Contra III?  No.  The aforementioned ZAMN better on the Genesis?  No.

The music (as in the compositions) may be better on Bloodlines, depending on your taste.  But if you think the music (what came out of your TV in 1994, i.e. audio quality) was better on the Genesis than the SNES, please see an Audiologist.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”