Favorite version of Doom?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » December 30th, 2011, 7:59 pm

I'm with Leo. Try the XBox version.

BigTym

Postby BigTym » December 31st, 2011, 4:15 am

I like the Jaguar version the best. It was the best console version before the PSX version came out;in my opinion.

micky1

Postby micky1 » January 2nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

The 32x version was the first version i played and it will always be my favourite port (obviously the PC is better) i find all the ports apart from the Snes and Saturn fun and playable although I find the dark mood of the Playstation comes across a bit drab.

One thing i don't get is how everyone seems to think the 32X version has 14 levels when it has 17, but you have to play from beginning to end with no cheats in order to play them.

Danthor

Postby Danthor » January 5th, 2012, 9:22 am

Fave version of Doom? If we're just talking port of the PC original, PS1 takes this one easily. Now if we're talking version  of Doom meaning, any version of the classic game, I gotta give this one to Doom 64. It gives me the white-knuckle, everything-hates-you-even-the-levels-themselves action of classic Doom, with a new horror/atmospheric edge, with sharper, totally redesigned graphics (still within the original engine, so it plays the same!), and better use of the new sound design introduced in the PS1 port, on top of completely new levels, new .."story", and a new weapon. Lots of secrets and awesome level design to be had, this one commanded the most gameplay from  me outside of Doom/Doom 2. If only by virtue of being refreshingly different while remaining the same.

gilly

Postby gilly » January 5th, 2012, 1:17 pm

My fave is the Jaguar version. I love not having music on.
The best version is the XBLA version, which trumps even the pc one. However, most people cannot play it since it's only available if you bought it before it was pulled.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 5th, 2012, 1:42 pm

But Doom 64 is Doom just as much as Doom II and Doom III.

This about the original and only the original,which I still prefer the Jaguar over anything else,other than PC.

I agree that Doom 64 is a fairly decent in its own right though.

andrew

Postby andrew » January 5th, 2012, 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=gilly]My fave is the Jaguar version. I love not having music on.
The best version is the XBLA version, which trumps even the pc one. However, most people cannot play it since it's only available if you bought it before it was pulled.

[/QUOTE]

ZDoom source port on PC easily trumps the XBLA version. All you need is the .wad files you get when you buy the game (say off Steam). ZDoom allows Doom to run natively in Windows (so full speed and no screen tearing at higher resolutions). It also adds modern keyboard and mouse support as well as the ability to jump. Modern keyboard + mouse controls will always beat using a controller for a first person shooter. ZDoom supports online multiplayer as well.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 5th, 2012, 6:37 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]
The Xbox and Xbox 360 have better versions of Doom than the Jaguar.
[/QUOTE]

The Xbox version has a pretty terrible bug meaning that the skybox is completely wrong in Episodes 2-4.

While I agree the 360 technically is the best, it's also not available to buy anymore and they seem to be being extremely slow to bring it back to the network.  I prefer the Jaguar version though because the MIDI soundtrack spoiled a lot of the horror for me, the absense of that in the Jaguar version ups the atmosphere considerably.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 5th, 2012, 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=DrCruse]
Except by the Playstation.

The best console port is the Playstation version without a doubt. John Romero (Creator of Doom) called it the "Best DOOM Yet" when it came out. It has a full CD quality soundtrack instead of just MIDI like the PC version. It has dynamic lighting effects, and even a few exclusive levels. Plus it has both Ultimate Doom and Doom II on one disc.
[/QUOTE]

I'd argue the PS1 version is different enough to the original to be considered a remake rather than a port.  The graphical style is heavily altered and the music is a completely different (better in my opinion ambience).  I adore the PS1 version but for pure ports I agree with N64Dude that nothing tops the Jaguar version pre-XBLA.  I can't remember did the PS1 version have networking?

gamezilla345

Postby gamezilla345 » January 10th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Nothing can beat the PC. Dead Simple. The controls are spot on and there is practically infinate maps due to a large modding community.

Console, I'd say Xbox. Dual Anolog All The Way for consoles. And live. At least you can play on line (If you find someone who has it before it was pulled )

I'd also say the IOS port is great to, simaly because it is on the iphone, (or ipod touch) has basically dual analog controls- if you set it that way, and it costs 1 DOLLAR! I think that port gets overlooked alot.

Return to “Classic Gaming”