Sega Master System Vs. NES

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2012, 3:55 pm

I've been playing a lot of my Sega Master System as of late and I'm starting to think the master system was slightly more powerful than the NES in the graphics department.  It seems the detail in the scenery is richer, and there's less break-up when a lot of objects are on the screen.

On the other hand, the Master system controller really stinks.  It doesn't seem as responsive as the NES controller, and it seems to favor diagonals over the basic four directions.  This makes the characters seem more "slippery" than the should.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm

While both systems are awesome, the Master System is definitely more powerful. It actually has a Street Fighter 2 port released late in its life cycle (in Brazil), and the game doesn't look half bad! Of course, it can't compare with the 16 bit ports, but this is still impressive. 
The standard controller isn't perfect, but you can use a Genesis controller instead, a Speedking, an "Arcade Power Stick"... There are lots of options.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Can you really use a regular Genesis controller instead?  What do the buttons map to?  Sounds like a good idea.

Samael

Postby Samael » February 26th, 2012, 6:14 pm

The Master System crushes the NES in ram and visual ram. Plus 16 color sprites vs. 3 colors and a transparency per sprite on the NES? Some NES games just gave up on pants, while the Master System did its best to pass for 16 bit.

Too bad it's sound chip sounded like a medieval Japanese car alarm. There are very few games I can play without people complaining about the soundtracks.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 26th, 2012, 8:03 pm

If you weren't aware, the Japanese Master System has a sound enhancer system designed for it. It comes as an add-on to the original "Sega Mark III"  console, and is built into the later "Sega Master System" console. Worth looking into if you're up for importing (though note that Japanese and western Master System games/consoles are incompatible).

wunderkid

Postby wunderkid » February 26th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Critic, There are so many good games on the SMS that suffer from what I call "5200 syndrome". The 5200 had great games that were simply deterred by their controls. I know it's not "pure" to play the SMS with Genny controller but it will totally change your perception of Master System games.
Although some games like Wonderboy in Monster Land and Alien Syndrome won't work with a Genesis contoller.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » February 26th, 2012, 9:56 pm

[QUOTE=Samael]The Master System crushes the NES in ram and visual ram.

[/QUOTE]

That's not really much of an advantage since NES carts could carry additional ram as needed.  Also, with regards to late master system games attempting to "pass for 16 bit," there's a very good reason.  The gamegear was a miniaturized SMS with an enhanced color pallete.  Many of the late master system games were made with the intention of porting them to the gamegear, and had to look like believable little brothers to their Genesis counterparts.  NES programers had no such motivations.

Guy

Postby Guy » February 26th, 2012, 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I've been playing a lot of my Sega Master System as of late and I'm starting to think the master system was slightly more powerful than the NES in the graphics department.  It seems the detail in the scenery is richer, and there's less break-up when a lot of objects are on the screen.

On the other hand, the Master system controller really stinks.  It doesn't seem as responsive as the NES controller, and it seems to favor diagonals over the basic four directions.  This makes the characters seem more "slippery" than the should.

Thoughts?  Comments?

[/QUOTE]

The games do look better on the Master System, but like you said the controller isn't very good.

Does the Master System have better games? My vote is no!

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » February 27th, 2012, 12:19 am

[QUOTE=oldschoolgamer][QUOTE=Samael]The Master System crushes the NES in ram and visual ram.<br><br>[/QUOTE]<br><br>That's not really much of an advantage since NES carts could carry additional ram as needed.  Also, with regards to late master system games attempting to "pass for 16 bit," there's a very good reason.  The gamegear was a miniaturized SMS with an enhanced color pallete.  Many of the late master system games were made with the intention of porting them to the gamegear, and had to look like believable little brothers to their Genesis counterparts.  NES programers had no such motivations.<br>[/QUOTE]I don't agree, and that doesn't make sense. Why would they make a home system game, with the intention of porting it to a portable, when the portable is capable of playing the original home system game(with an adaptor)? Sega had no real intentions to support the SMS, after Game Gear was released. Beacause the Game Gear basically was a portable SMS. They easily could've easily released the Game Gear like the Turboexpress, backwards-compatible. I wonder why thay didn't? There's many greedy reasons for that, plus the back-SMS catalog just wasn't that impressive or popular enough to promote in that way.

Game Gear and Master System were both capable of 32-colors on-screen. Twice as many as the NES. Maybe someone should post the actual specs on these systems, or a link at least, instead of a quick wiki peak? SMS(Z-80) was clearly technically superior to the NES. But without the games and support for the system, most didn't care, including Tonka and Sega.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 27th, 2012, 2:05 am

[QUOTE=Adamant]If you weren't aware, the Japanese Master System has a sound enhancer system designed for it. It comes as an add-on to the original "Sega Mark III"  console, and is built into the later "Sega Master System" console. Worth looking into if you're up for importing (though note that Japanese and western Master System games/consoles are incompatible).[/

I own a Japanese Master System. Some games don't use the FM sound capability, but, quite a few games do, and those sound as good as Genesis
games. I also purchased a TOTOTEK adaptor so I could use my western carts
as well, it's amazing how they kept the FM sound compatibility when our Master System consoles didn't come equipped with it. Games like Rastan made good use of the regular PSG sound, but the enhanced music and sounds are just amazing.
As for the Genesis controller, you'll find the buttons map just fine, though you'll still have to use the Master System built in pause button, "start" being useless.

Return to “Classic Gaming”