Ace Attorney?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Ace Attorney?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 11th, 2020, 11:23 pm

I just remember that an HD collection of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games was released a while ago, and now I kind of want to try it. Has anyone played them? What are your thoughts on those games?

ActRaiser

Re: Ace Attorney?

Postby ActRaiser » October 12th, 2020, 9:52 am

I picked up the HD version of it for the Switch when it was on sale a few months ago. I've only played through a few chapters but I liked what it was trying to do. It actually seems to have quite a bit of content. There are three full games on it. Some of it is a bit goofy but if you go with the flow on it you'll have a good time.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 13th, 2020, 12:15 pm

I played the original on the DS back in the day. I remember it being an adventure game, played using the stylus to conduct investigations, talk to people, courtroom scenes, etc. As someone with an interest in the legal system and story-driven games, I thought it would appeal to me. I remember it being ok, but not enough to completely hook me. I finished the game, but had no interest in continuing the series after that. That was the only one I've played.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 14th, 2020, 1:40 am

I tried the original DS version for the first time recently and can only really echo the same. I've only played the first 'case' which serves more as a tutorial than anything, which didn't feel like it fully represented the challenge of the rest of the game (I hope it didn't anyway). It is essentially a puzzle game in a very well designed elaborate coat, and it did feel rewarding to figure out holes in the testimony.

I haven't returned to the game yet. It is very goofy at times, even by anime standards. If you're looking for a full on Attorney-sim it feels like it misses the mark - if that's not an issue and you want something overly dramatised (defendants/witnesses will constantly say stupidly irrelevant incriminating things, for example) it may not be an issue.

Either way I wanna give the rest of the game a chance. It's not hooked me like I thought it would, but there's no other game out there like it as far as I'm aware, so it's definitely a unique experience.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 14th, 2020, 5:30 pm

I've played through the first (tutorial) case and up to the second day of the trial in the second case. So far I'm enjoying it. Deducing which clues and evidence to bring up at the right time makes me feel smart! There are times the game feels like it's on autopilot, especially when the characters are having conversations that you have no control over, but since this is essentially a visual novel I guess that's to ge expected. My primary concern is that once you beat the game once, there won't be any replay value since you'll already know the plot twists and which choices to make. Maybe the story is good enough to play through again simply for it's own sake, but I feel like it'll lose something when you already know what's going to happen.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 15th, 2020, 7:36 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:My primary concern is that once you beat the game once, there won't be any replay value since you'll already know the plot twists and which choices to make. Maybe the story is good enough to play through again simply for it's own sake, but I feel like it'll lose something when you already know what's going to happen.

Yep, I can agree with that. But, I'm also 100% A-Okay with that as well.

My desire for a decent replayability factor has gone down incredibly the older I get. There are so many games available these days, at reasonable prices. It's not like back when we were kids and you'd get one game every 3 months if you were lucky or the major holidays. Now, there sales for games online that can get you games for literally pennies.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 17th, 2020, 5:48 pm

I just beat the second trial (after the tutorial) and I have to say, I wasn't impressed.
WARNING: I'M GOING TO SPOIL THE ENTIRE LAST PART OF THIS CASE.
It went great at first, doing investigations, piecing together clues, ans dissecting witness' alibis. But then the final stretch of the trial got...weird. First I had to press the suspect for details on everything he said, realize that I couldn't find any holes in his story, and give up. Giving the player a puzzle they can't solve is NEVER a good thing to do in a puzzle game like this, especially without even giving them a hint as to what's going on. You can still present evidence during this part, and since nothing will work you'll end up getting penalties for everything, meaning that even though you can't win, YOU CAN STILL LOSE.
Then it gets worse. Once you figure out that you have to give up, ghosts appear. Ghosts. In a courtroom simulation. And then the ghosts LITERALLY HAND YOU THE LAST CLUE YOU NEED. You win, of course, but it doesn't feel earned. Like I said, the earlier parts of this case were excellent at making you feel smart by letting you piece the clues together yourself. When the game literally wins itself, it takes away the only sense of accomplishment a puzzle game like this can give you.
I'll reserve my final opinion for now. If the rest of the cases stay logical and actually let ME solve the mysteries instead of doing it itself, I'll be happy.

Return to “Modern Gaming”