Ready for $70 games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Ready for $70 games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2021, 7:29 pm

I totally forgot about the bump in prices when it came to Nintendo 64 titles. I remember that Shadow of the Empire game was $80 or something like that. I think that's the main reason I held off on getting one. I was a Playstation guy and the games for that system were rarely over $50.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 10th, 2021, 10:07 pm

I wish Phantasy Star IV and Virtua Racing had been only $70.

As for digital games never going down in price? Since when? I almost never pay full price for my Switch games. And because Nintendo insists on giving me free credit whenever I make a digital purchase, some of those games were cheaper than free.

With that said, the point about unfinished games is a good one.

Still, it's not a new problem. Pitfighter (SNES) and Final Fantasy (NES) were both shipped in an unfinished state. And customers were still charged full price for them.

At least today, they'd hopefully be patched.

But man, it's going to be rough being a collector once those servers are shut down.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 11th, 2021, 6:01 am

Good timing. I got an email yesterday about Nintendo dropping some prices on digital versions of some of their first party games in celebrating of MAR10 Day.

So there you go.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 13th, 2021, 12:20 pm

What's MAR10 Day?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 13th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Atariboy wrote:What's MAR10 Day?

March 10th.

Same idea as May 4th being a Star Wars holiday.

Are there any other fan holidays like these?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 13th, 2021, 7:38 pm

October 5th is James Bond Day. Dr. No was released on that day in 1962.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 15th, 2021, 12:55 am

I gathered that it was named that way because of the date and the resemblance to the name of Nintendo's mascot. I was just inquiring if there was any significance behind the date.
Last edited by Atariboy on March 16th, 2021, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djc

Postby djc » March 16th, 2021, 12:04 am

My gripe with digital games is you don't get the benefit of previous iterations. I like sports games but I would rather pick up Madden 20 used for $19 than Madden 21 for $60. With an online model, Madden 20 is $60 until the day Madden 21 releases and then it vanishes and my only option is Madden 21 for $60.

This irks me.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 21st, 2021, 5:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I totally forgot about the bump in prices when it came to Nintendo 64 titles. I remember that Shadow of the Empire game was $80 or something like that. I think that's the main reason I held off on getting one. I was a Playstation guy and the games for that system were rarely over $50.

My Dad and I bought our N64 used, out of the classified ads in our local paper. Remember those days?? I had saved up enough money to buy the console, but didn't have enough to buy a game to go with it. By getting the system used ($180, I believe, in early 1997) I still had $70 on-hand to get a game. As long as it was no more than $50 or $60, plus tax, I was home free!

We went to Bigg's (the grocery / department store chain where you had to put a quarter into the shopping carts to "unlock" them) and Dad told me I could pick out any game I wanted. Turok had just come out... and was $79.95. And I would need a Controller Pak to save my game. So that was a "no." I really, really wanted Shadows of the Empire, and I knew from reading Nintendo Power that it saved data to the cartridge. It was $84.99, plus tax. I was crushed. My Dad, knowing what it meant to me, offered to pay the difference, but even he couldn't believe how much the game cost.

I did glance over at the Saturn and PlayStation games while we were shopping. Yep, nothing over $50. And there was a Mega Man 8? How did I miss that?? I was already questioning whether I had made the right call getting the N64 over the other two consoles, and, well, the price difference of the games wasn't helping put my mind to ease. At all.

Thankfully, playing SOTE with my Dad that first night, after not having owned a 3D console up to that point, is a memory I'll never forget. We basically went from StarFox on the Super NES to being right in the middle of the Battle of Hoth. Still my biggest "whoa" moment from any video game, from a technology standpoint. I don't think any leap in tech or graphics will ever top that moment for me.

Back on topic, I've seen a few sites and other message boards where people are complaining that Metroid Dread, the upcoming 2D-style game, is retailing for $60. Complaints range from the game's length to the style of the game, itself... but yeah. I'm pretty sure I paid about that same amount for Super Metroid back in the day, and I'd say it was worth the clams 8-)

It is funny to see people complain about Metroid being $60 for a "short" game, then reading that the newest Ratchet & Clank title, with a reported 5-6 hours of gameplay, has already sold a million at its $70 price point. Mmmm hmmm...

Return to “Modern Gaming”