Anyone else excited for "Cruis'n Blast" (Switch)?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
astrodomekid

Anyone else excited for "Cruis'n Blast" (Switch)?

Postby astrodomekid » September 9th, 2021, 9:18 pm

When the VGC reviewed the original Cruis'n trilogy on the N64 a while back, his impressions were... mixed. I'll admit the Cruis'n games on the N64 do vary in quality, even though I enjoy them just fine. But the REAL way to experience these games was in the arcades. I have a lot of fond memories of playing Cruis'n World and especially Cruis'n Exotica at different restaurants in my area, and words could not express how amazed I was seeing the latter for the first time. I remember the graphics being mind-blowing at the time and that kick-@$$ theme song still brings out the best in me. And naturally, I became excited when I eventually found out that an N64 version existed. I enjoyed playing that version when I got it, but it could have been better. The downgraded graphics is understandable, but the cars in this version ranged from generic to butt-ugly, and you couldn't even change the paint jobs. It's a minor complaint, but being able to drive a Corvette or a Prowler in the arcade version was such a huge part of the appeal for me.

So... as you can imagine, I have a TON of hype for the upcoming Switch port of the series' reboot Cruis'n Blast. When I first saw the E3 Trailer, I immediately became excited. I already pre-ordered the game, and it now sits in my Switch library, awaiting the moment of it's calling. Only a few days remain 'til it's released, and I seriously cannot wait to go Cruis'n again just like my six-year-old self did 20 years ago! :D

Anyone else as excited for this game as I am?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else excited for "Cruis'n Blast" (Switch)?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 9th, 2021, 10:04 pm

Heck I will buy just about ANY arcade-style game! I hear this one has 4P split-screen! Let me know when it's available.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 10th, 2021, 4:46 pm

I looked i’m game stops website and it says next week and it’s $40.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » September 14th, 2021, 1:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Heck I will buy just about ANY arcade-style game! I hear this one has 4P split-screen! Let me know when it's available.

Just came out! I already played this game for over an hour, and I've got plenty more left in me! I'd say it's worth checking out.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 15th, 2021, 2:02 am

Fascinating. I had heard that this game was an upcoming release, but I had no idea it would be ready so soon. As others have stated, it's already hit the streets, with the physical copy running around $50.

It's a little hard to find info about the game, currently, but from what I've seen, it does offer 4-player co-op (nice) has no online modes to speak of (whoaaaa) and features gameplay that leans heavily on drifting to earn speed boosts (hmmmm). Also seems to have lots of courses and cars to unlock.

Hands-on impressions have said that it's a true arcade experience - makes a great first impression, and fun to play with friends, but may be a little shallow in the long run. Twenty five years ago, this is the type of game I would look forward to renting once or twice, but would not plan to buy. Gives me a bit of a Hydro Thunder or Rush 2049 vibe from the screenshots. Then again, I did wind up buying both of those titles for the Dreamcast...

This is also the type of game that rarely gets a physical release anymore, and the fact that it's a legit new entry in the Cruis'n series is enough to get my attention. I'm adding it to my Black Friday wishlist :D

Thanks for the heads-up, Astrodomekid!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » September 15th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Check out the Gameplay and Talk YT channel, yesterday he streamed playing this game for over 4 hours. My thoughts having never played the arcade version:

- smooth 60fps and bold colors and animation
- gameplay is not too deep or complex, very arcade styled with crazy races and shortcuts, reminds me of Hydro Thunder but on land.
- the devs included tons of unlockable vehicles, aircraft, and beasts to race with. With unlockable graphical effects you can apply to each.
- if I had a Switch, I'd be buying it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2021, 9:49 pm

I stopped over my local Target tonight but they were out of this.

Cruis'n Blast is definitely my kind of game. Fast and fun arcade games flourished on the Dreamcast. Then after the PS2 came out a law was passed saying every game had to be long, realistic, and boring.

I'm really hoping this game triggers a resurgence and we get more arcade racers like Hydro Thunder and the original Ridge Racer.

It's funny, a few years ago I was in a hotel arcade and played some kind of Fast and Furious racer. I was thinking to myself "why in the heck can't they make games like this for consoles anymore?"

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 16th, 2021, 3:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I stopped over my local Target tonight but they were out of this.

Cruis'n Blast is definitely my kind of game. Fast and fun arcade games flourished on the Dreamcast. Then after the PS2 came out a law was passed saying every game had to be long, realistic, and boring.

I'm really hoping this game triggers a resurgence and we get more arcade racers like Hydro Thunder and the original Ridge Racer.

It's funny, a few years ago I was in a hotel arcade and played some kind of Fast and Furious racer. I was thinking to myself "why in the heck can't they make games like this for consoles anymore?"

"Then after the PS2 came out a law was passed saying every game had to be long, realistic, and boring."

totally agree and same with movies too!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 16th, 2021, 7:03 pm

Waiting for the physical version to be in stock...

thunderjohn

Postby thunderjohn » September 17th, 2021, 11:31 am

Tried the arcade version and found it quite impressive. The difference in graphics is not substantial. The home version is seriously lacking.

Return to “Modern Gaming”