Does Everybody Hate Ubisoft?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Does Everybody Hate Ubisoft?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2021, 8:04 pm

I knew that company had burned some bridges but damn.

They posted something about making the first new Splinter Cell game in a decade, and the result has just been a deluge of hate tweets in their direction.

Ubisoft might be more hated than EA at this point.

Robotrek

Re: Does Everybody Hate Ubisoft?

Postby Robotrek » October 19th, 2021, 8:57 pm

I can understand the criticisms of their games being a bit half baked. I personally enjoyed the first Watch_Dogs, but I guess a LOT of people had crazy high expectations for it. I noticed more hate for them around that time period. At the time, I was just a random 41 year old Marylander who bought the game because it looked semi-neat, and I was relatively easy to please. But that seems to be when most people began to hate them. I have played quite a few of their games since and they always seem........half baked? Like, the visuals are usually very pretty and there's a lot of neat gameplay elements, but nothing ever sticks together right.

Shame, as the Splinter Cell and Rayman series are among my favorites of all time.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 20th, 2021, 1:37 am

...people hate Ubisoft??

Voor

Postby Voor » October 20th, 2021, 8:54 am

“Hating” on a company that makes video games sounds like seriously nerdy.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 20th, 2021, 9:33 am

It's more to do with abusing the employees.

The accusations range from the usual abuse you'd expect from AAA studios all the way up to choking and sexual assault. And it's not just isolated accusations, either.

The company has admitted to wrong doing, and promised to do better, but it's widely regarded as a PR move more than an actual effort to improve. Many of the accusations have been known for a long time, and instead of doing anything about potential predators, their management was apparently too busy arguing that women in Assassin's Creed would ruin the marketability of the franchise.

Note: this wasn't diversity being pushed on the game developers. It was completely the other way around.

And while it was doing all this behind the scenes, it was advertising itself as being a place where creative people from all walks of life could pursue their passion in gaming...it's that difference between public mask and actual reality that's upset a lot of people.

At least with Activision and EA, you know what you're getting into.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 10th, 2021, 7:18 am

I think the last Ubisoft game I actually bought was Rayman Origins, which thankfully didn't have the online shenanigans that seem to plague some of their other series.

Other than Rayman, there haven't been many games Ubisoft has put out that I care about, post GBA era. They have a few games here and there, but I've never been a big fan of their Tom Clancy series, haven't cared for the Assassin's Creed series, and I have trouble remembering even the odd game I enjoyed on the GBC/GBA/PSX that Ubisoft published but did not develop that I enjoyed.

I have more irritation with EA, though my main irritation comes from the existence of a PSP game, EA Replay. They have such a HUGE back catalog of classics that they have the rights to, and they don't release classic compilations in the modern era???

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I have more irritation with EA, though my main irritation comes from the existence of a PSP game, EA Replay. They have such a HUGE back catalog of classics that they have the rights to, and they don't release classic compilations in the modern era???

They don’t. Because, when they do, they mess it up.

EA Replay featured the three original Road Rash games - minus all of the original music. Had something to do with not being able to secure the rights from Rob Hubbard, et al.

Yep, Road Rash without the iconic soundtrack. What’s the point??

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Matchstick wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:I have more irritation with EA, though my main irritation comes from the existence of a PSP game, EA Replay. They have such a HUGE back catalog of classics that they have the rights to, and they don't release classic compilations in the modern era???

They don’t. Because, when they do, they mess it up.

EA Replay featured the three original Road Rash games - minus all of the original music. Had something to do with not being able to secure the rights from Rob Hubbard, et al.

Yep, Road Rash without the iconic soundtrack. What’s the point??

Same could be said with Crazy Taxi, to be honest.
Never cared for licensed music in games, mainly for the above reason

Return to “Modern Gaming”