Buggy Halo Infinite

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Buggy Halo Infinite

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I was reading this article about the new Halo Infinite and surprised how buggy it is considering how much time and money has been invested in it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/ ... n-tatters/

Then it occurred to me why modern games are so prone to bugs. It's the internet. With pre-internet consoles, the development environment was fixed. You could test every edge case.

With online play the possibilities are endless. Not only that, but you're trying to hit a moving target as the operating systems are continually updated and patched. It's a lot harder to write reliable software.

Even if a game has a solo campaign, most of the game's resources will be diverted to the money-making online modes, so everything suffers. Thoughts?

TheEagleXIII

Re: Buggy Halo Infinite

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 7th, 2021, 8:32 am

I usually (read: always) respond to these with the mindset that this is how online focus has ruined modern gaming for me. I still think that, but I'm gonna take a different perspective this time.

Is it perhaps not so much a case of 'online gaming has made developers lazy', because they can rush release and catch up with downloadable patches later... and more a case of gamers don't hold the developers/publishers accountable any more? Are modern gamers just too used to this being normal that they've allowed the industry to move the goalposts?

I don't begrudge gamers enjoying the online aspect of gaming. I've accepted it's just not for me - and it's not just me being an old fart, cos there's plenty of people I know the same age as me that still love modern gaming, and embrace the online and social aspects. But there's a generation out there who's first console was the PS3 and the PS4, maybe the end of the PS2.

Is it possible they don't know any different, so to them this is just normal? They don't know they should have higher expectations, that games should be immediately playable, that DLC is often removed content and not bonus content?

I also sometimes wonder if there's also a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out) stopping any potential backlash. If enough people are buying the game, all your friends, everyone at school, all the gamers you watch on YouTube and Twitch, it's gonna be much tougher to demand more and take a stand.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 13th, 2021, 11:16 am

Well, I was playing it PC via games pass. I was playing it. I got to the open world and well slow down was so noticeable that I could not play it.
The MP plays fine. Or at least it did on Steam.

I am yet to try it on xbox 1

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 30th, 2022, 6:31 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Well, I was playing it PC via games pass. I was playing it. I got to the open world and well slow down was so noticeable that I could not play it.
The MP plays fine. Or at least it did on Steam.

I am yet to try it on xbox 1

It plays like a dream on xbox 1. Such a great game in parts. Other bits have me going what the fk? Sometimes too many cut scenes or end of wave bosses but at the end of the day it is so much better than the average Halo 5 it is worth a go.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 30th, 2022, 9:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Then it occurred to me why modern games are so prone to bugs. It's the internet. With pre-internet consoles, the development environment was fixed. You could test every edge case.

Thoughts?

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Li ... d_glitches

The more complicated games get, the more things can go wrong.

Right now, AAA games are entire cities and worlds where gamers are encouraged to pull off anything they can imagine with the toys given them. Every single game is an example of feature bloat. As a result, more than a few never get released in a playable state at all.

Unfortunately, development money isn't an infinite resource. (Hell, just modeling, textures, and lighting is murder on the budget. Shenmue was an early warning sign...)

Sometimes, you have to just release and make it up with patches, or a lot of jobs are lost.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 3rd, 2022, 7:52 pm

I love Halo. Adore the ideas behind it. Halo 5 was not great but it did feel like Halo. Halo is a corridor shooter. It might be a fairly big corridor but it is still essentially a corridor shooter. The game starts well and is as good as Halo 3. Then you step out into the open world. This is where the problems begin. As with a lot of games that try to use RPG as a template they forget to put the substance in the game. So you have a huge empty world. Though this could still be fun, as the graphics must be superb!? Again a real letdown once you get out there. I remember so many times in Halo 1 just sitting looking at these amazing alien worlds on the ring. All Halo games have had a wow factor, but this one seems like more of the same.

Every Elite has an energy sword so you cannot melee them. Stock gameplay for the series is melee. The Banished are out in force in this one. They are not much fun. There are challenges for warlords to kill but they are very hard for the most part. No co-op. In this game, there is not even a couch co-op. No level select. Yep, they are coming in the future. Though I am not sure I will be around for them to be honest. If you like games with End of Wave bosses you are going to love this game. I on the other hand find them tedious. Hence not, me, liking Dark Souls much.

For most Halo games I beat them within a week. 5 months later and I am still going I do not like this game. MP is okay. I am near the end but I have not finished it.

C plus is generous.

Return to “Modern Gaming”