Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Robotrek

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby Robotrek » January 14th, 2022, 6:51 pm

I think a lot of people are forgetting just how long ago the Wii was popular. It basically died in 2010. That's been over a decade. For 3 years the soccer moms went nuts and grabbed one for their families but the thing ran on fumes for the longest time after. I didn't even realize Nintendo produced them after the Wii U was discontinued. A ton has changed since then and it's getting exhausting hearing the "But the Wii" talk. That market is LONG GONE. Nobody cares about that crap anymore.

noah98

Postby noah98 » January 14th, 2022, 7:40 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:This thing is a complete joke. Glad I got my $100 deposit back.

Me too! Feel sorry for those who are still holding out for one.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 14th, 2022, 8:41 pm

Robotrek wrote:I think a lot of people are forgetting just how long ago the Wii was popular. It basically died in 2010. That's been over a decade. For 3 years the soccer moms went nuts and grabbed one for their families but the thing ran on fumes for the longest time after. I didn't even realize Nintendo produced them after the Wii U was discontinued. A ton has changed since then and it's getting exhausting hearing the "But the Wii" talk. That market is LONG GONE. Nobody cares about that crap anymore.

I disagree, there is a market for the Wii to some degree. Aside from hacking to run randomizers of Wii/Gamecube games, one of the major reasons to break out the Wii would be Wii Sports (Resort). No joke, my parents comment on fond memories of playing Bowling alone, as they cannot lift an actual bowling ball anymore, and the Wii allows them to simulate the game.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 14th, 2022, 8:42 pm

noah98 wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:This thing is a complete joke. Glad I got my $100 deposit back.

Me too! Feel sorry for those who are still holding out for one.

The drama/issues that the Amico and Chameleon have/had are reasons I am hesitant to do kickstarter/crowd funding projects.

That, and I usually hear about projects I would donate to about a month after the campaigns end...

noah98

Postby noah98 » January 15th, 2022, 9:02 am

The Amico was billed as a ready to go pre order console, not crowd funded. But the reality is, that's what it became after they failed to make multiple ship dates. Still no release date, but a promise to announce one in 30 days. If they do announce one, it had better be definitive, and not just a goal. Can't imagine people putting up with another delay. I think it would be better to hold off on any announcements until they are absolutely sure.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 16th, 2022, 2:53 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Robotrek wrote:I think a lot of people are forgetting just how long ago the Wii was popular. It basically died in 2010. That's been over a decade. For 3 years the soccer moms went nuts and grabbed one for their families but the thing ran on fumes for the longest time after. I didn't even realize Nintendo produced them after the Wii U was discontinued. A ton has changed since then and it's getting exhausting hearing the "But the Wii" talk. That market is LONG GONE. Nobody cares about that crap anymore.

I disagree, there is a market for the Wii to some degree. Aside from hacking to run randomizers of Wii/Gamecube games, one of the major reasons to break out the Wii would be Wii Sports (Resort). No joke, my parents comment on fond memories of playing Bowling alone, as they cannot lift an actual bowling ball anymore, and the Wii allows them to simulate the game.

Absolutely. The demand for games that a stranger can pick up and play in 60 seconds will always be around. I think the bigger issue may be that most modern consoles have a ton of this games vis their online stores, and they’re usually cheap and easy to download.

We brought our Wii with Wii Sports on vacation, and people had a blast playing it. If the Amico is around and I somehow bought one, I would grab that for those type situations over any other modern console in a hurry. So no…..not dead.

The Amico may fail, but that whole “turn your phone into a controller” is a pretty sweet ideas. Actually, the system itself has quite a few good ideas, but it itself may not pull it off sadly. But I’m still rooting for it because….why not?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2022, 4:59 pm

Physical media "solution"??

Too bad they decided to make it a problem to begin with! A little late now...

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 25th, 2022, 7:37 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Intellivision_ ... orm_jim_4/

Well, ToeJam and Earl is officially cancelled. Apparently the developers had begun working on a build of Back in the Groove to run on the Amico quite some time ago, but the contracts were never finalized. Apparently there was a ton of miscommunication between Intellivision and the developers.

With Dolphin Quest being confirmed to be multiplatform, and ToeJam and Earl now being cancelled, things are looking bleak for Sega classics being represented on Amico.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 25th, 2022, 8:15 pm

Robotrek wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/Intellivision_Amico/comments/s67p7r/the_status_of_amicos_killer_apps_earthworm_jim_4/

Well, ToeJam and Earl is officially cancelled. Apparently the developers had begun working on a build of Back in the Groove to run on the Amico quite some time ago, but the contracts were never finalized. Apparently there was a ton of miscommunication between Intellivision and the developers.

With Dolphin Quest being confirmed to be multiplatform, and ToeJam and Earl now being cancelled, things are looking bleak for Sega classics being represented on Amico.

That's a shame. Though they have an updated version of Armour Ambush ready to go. :geek: :ugeek:

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 7th, 2022, 9:23 pm

And the dumpster fire continues.

Their cash burn rate must be pretty good. They're doing another round of "investments"

https://www.startengine.com/intellivision

These idiots didn't even bother to look at the images they are using to outline what's considered "complicated" vs "simple".

Their complicated picture shows the Nintendo and Genesis. I was giving these guys a break but this is ridiculous.

Return to “Modern Gaming”