The 3d Blues

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
jon

The 3d Blues

Postby jon » July 25th, 2022, 8:22 pm

I'm trying here, and I'm serious. Not for a blues band but for any sort of fun 3d games.

I just always ask the question. Was 3d even worth it? I mean, it's such a hassle. Getting lost or not being able to figure your mission objective in a 3d game is excruciating like a migraine headache. And why all of a sudden did 2d disappear? I mean, it seems like video games took a detour in 1995 and it's to a place that gives me allergies and migraines.

And like I said, I'm trying to find something interesting, and I sure am not interested in Sony. They're the ones who ignited this "3d revolution". At least Microsoft had always made games and seemed like they cared. Sony it just seems was a profit grab. That's why I've always respected Microsoft.

And I keep getting to the same conclusion. I need some sort of car game where I can drive in a car around a city peacefully or something like that. Was there anything like that on the Xbox or 360?

Stalvern

Re: The 3d Blues

Postby Stalvern » July 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm

The 360 has Test Drive Unlimited, a game in which you peacefully drive around the entire Hawaiian island of Oahu (more sparsely populated than in real life but mostly accurate in its geography and roads) and race people if you want. Vacation joyride game that you might like a lot. If you do like it, there are plenty of other open-world racing games for that system to get into, but Test Drive Unlimited is definitely the one most in line with your post.

I should also mention Spider-Man 2 for the original Xbox. No car, but lots of wandering around a city wherever you feel like going, and the web-swinging mechanic is very fun.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 26th, 2022, 11:08 am

Outrun 2006 is a fantastic driving game with a chilled atmosphere and nice scenery.

jon wrote:Was 3d even worth it?

Hardware R&D, Nvidia, AMD, Intel. Boards partners, Peripherals. Software giants. Quite an ecosystem going on. Answer = highly probable yes.

jon wrote:I sure am not interested in Sony. They're the ones who ignited this "3d revolution".

DOS? Arcades?

jon wrote:And why all of a sudden did 2d disappear?

It never disappeared perhaps you were not paying attention. 2D is arguably stronger today than it ever has been.

jon

Postby jon » July 26th, 2022, 11:10 am

Stalvern wrote:The 360 has Test Drive Unlimited, a game in which you peacefully drive around the entire Hawaiian island of Oahu (more sparsely populated than in real life but mostly accurate in its geography and roads) and race people if you want. Vacation joyride game that you might like a lot. If you do like it, there are plenty of other open-world racing games for that system to get into, but Test Drive Unlimited is definitely the one most in line with your post.

I should also mention Spider-Man 2 for the original Xbox. No car, but lots of wandering around a city wherever you feel like going, and the web-swinging mechanic is very fun.

Message received! I’ve been really close to finding a reason to get a 360. I’ll check this game out.

Edit: I think it looks cool on YouTube. But a little worried because the VGC apparently doesn’t like it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 26th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Well, like I said, it has plenty of company on the system. Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Forza Horizon are the big ones, along with Midnight Club: Los Angeles (which the Critic's review singles out as having a fun city to just drive around in), Burnout Paradise (which probably isn't for you, but I'd be remiss to leave it out), and Driver: San Francisco (which lets you possess the driver of any other car you see on the road!) – and this is just one very specific subgenre of racing games. There are many, many reasons beyond this to get a 360.

jon

Postby jon » July 26th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Cool thanks. I’ll definitely check those out. I kind of view the 360’s success as in a way like how the Genesis was popular. Sony basically was the big bad wolf like Nintendo had been before. And there comes Sega out of nowhere to at one point selling close to neck and neck with the SNES. That’s one of the biggest miracles in video games.

Then you have Microsoft who gives the seemingly untouchable Sony some serious competition. Granted the horrendous Wii I guess won that generation, but I think it speaks to the quality of the 360. And like I said, Microsoft was already making games before Sony did.

jon

Postby jon » July 26th, 2022, 9:13 pm

The one in Hawaii looks great. I’m going to try to find out more about this game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 27th, 2022, 9:44 pm

jon wrote:The one in Hawaii looks great. I’m going to try to find out more about this game.

This is a pretty good review if you're interested in opinions besides the VGC's.

jon

Postby jon » July 29th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Stalvern wrote:
jon wrote:The one in Hawaii looks great. I’m going to try to find out more about this game.

This is a pretty good review if you're interested in opinions besides the VGC's.

Thanks! I’m going through it. I’m really trying now. I just want 3d games that don’t have any challenge and just driving around a city seems like it. In fact I’d always been interested in going to Hawaii. Well I think I just got a good deal lol. Yea it looks great. I’d never do anything past the 360’s generation. That just seems like such a hassle with online and absurdly complicated games.

jon

Postby jon » August 23rd, 2022, 8:02 am

One thing that irritates me about modern gaming is that as graphics get better, games keep getting more complicated. I feel like the PS4 was the first console generation where you could see really far ahead. There wasn’t any blurriness or anything.

So that would be perfect for some 3d mid 90’s type games that struggled with that stuff. This 360 review the guy talks about draw distance compared to PS4. Although in the video it doesn’t bother me. It’s like, now that the graphics are finally perfect, can’t we go back to making games like in the 5th gen that would’ve been epic with a great draw distance. And the answer, just like all my video game questions since late 1995 is no. I’m trying to get involved with modern gaming, to branch out and have something to play on the side besides the Neo Geo.

Return to “Modern Gaming”