PS5 Controller Discomfort?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

PS5 Controller Discomfort?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2022, 8:50 pm

So I've been playing quite a bit of God of War: Ragnarok lately, and I noticed something about the controller.

First, let me say I've been impressed with the feel and heft of the PS5 controller. It's pretty heavy and molds well to my hands. The buttons feel good, although I have a little trouble "finding" that PS logo by touch. Previously I thought the Xbox One controller was best.

Lately however, I've noticed PAIN in my hands after using the PS5 controller for an hour or two. I don't know if it's due to the game (lots of button pounding in God of War) but controller fatigue seems to be a thing. I'll have to keep an eye on this. I haven't heard anybody else complain so maybe it's just me?

Tron

Re: PS5 Controller Discomfort?

Postby Tron » November 22nd, 2022, 8:33 pm

Arthritis & aging suck. My left thumb snaps all the time now from my years of gaming. Woe is me. What a cruel world!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » November 24th, 2022, 3:07 pm

I've not experienced this with the PS5 controller. I find it very comfortable in the hands. This last week I've put a lot of time into 'Sifu' which asks for repetition and it's been ok. Perhaps after a day of playing GOW play an Xbox or Nintendo title and see if the pain continues with those controllers. If so maybe there is a different issue.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 26th, 2022, 2:58 am

For me personally, the most uncomfortable controller I've ever used is the one for the Gamecube. I can't play for more than a half-hour or so without feeling some serious discomfort in my wrists and thumb joints.

But like The Critic's PS5 controller observation, I've never heard anyone else complain about the Gamecube controller. In fact, some people I've talked to consider it the best controller they've ever used!

Like Tron, I'm older and have arthritis. I spent many years as a baker, where I would spend hours each shift kneading bread dough by hand. It's really limited many things I can do later in life, and all of my gaming and computer use is pretty limited these days as a result. Limits how long I can hold a pencil or paintbrush, too.

All that aside, part of me can't believe Sony hasn't overhauled the PlayStation controller since the DualShock days. I get that the layout and appearance is part of their overall brand, but I've never understood the lesser-used D-pad being closest to the thumb and most comfortable to reach. Instead, the left joystick is at an awkward, lower angle, and further away, which really wears on me after even a short time playing.

Microsoft and Nintendo at least put the left joystick somewhere comfortable. Why won't Sony do the same? Just because people are used to something doesn't mean it's actually good, or shouldn't be redesigned.

Then again, like the Gamecube, many gamers like the awkward design of the PlayStation pad just fine. But I'll tell you this much - their controller design, alone, is why I never consider buying a new Sony console.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 26th, 2022, 8:45 am

I think controllers with offset analog sticks are more comfortable. I think Sony should finally ditch the old design, even if it is iconic.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 26th, 2022, 9:14 am

Matchstick wrote:I spent many years as a baker, where I would spend hours each shift kneading bread dough by hand.

This made me smile. I love to cook, and got into baking about 3 years ago; my family and I have bought bread products maybe 5 times max since then.

Also, I found this article stating that some have been having Carpal Tunnel type symptoms from the PS5 DualSense controller, but not sure if this is what the VGC uses.

https://rareloot.medium.com/is-the-ps5- ... 68acb096d8

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 26th, 2022, 9:04 pm

How many updates does this stupid controller need? It's bad enough that we have to sit through system and game updates, now the controller too? What's next, HDMI cord updates?

Return to “Modern Gaming”