Fortnite

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Tron

Fortnite

Postby Tron » February 3rd, 2023, 10:20 pm

Fortnite!!!!!

I finally played this as I’m visiting with my Buttercup at her sister’s hizouse.

Gotta say dis game is good. Been enjoying it a lot. I only play offline in my humble abode, but out here in the rest o’ the real world I gets a taste of online play.

The online waiting, loading & connecting to the internet sux, but the actual gameplay is sweet as high fructose corn syrup. I’ve won a couple matches, but lost far far more, but I still keep coming back fo moe. I’ve done better solo, but in team matches it’s fun cooperating with the kids. Gotta revive yo teammate, cause they let you know yo.

One thing that surprised me though is that ALMOST every person I’ve played with has spent real dollars just to have a unique “skin” for their character. Sure it’s neat I guess, but I thought there would be more cheapskates that wouldn’t pay for visual distinction.

I gotta say this game deserves its hype. I love it. I won’t try & bring it home with me, but I can totally see the appeal.

Tron

Re: Fortnite

Postby Tron » February 23rd, 2023, 4:33 am

Congrats to all for being a part of the only video game forum on the internet that has a post about fortnite & not one single person has any interest to reply!

You guys are awesome.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 23rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

Tron wrote:Congrats to all for being a part of the only video game forum on the internet that has a post about fortnite & not one single person has any interest to reply!

You guys are awesome.

Tron that might mean no one likes Fortnite. I looked at it and it was not really my thing. Thought I think you can play it on the VCS on PC mode. I would be intrigued if you could play it on Amico but then again, Amico is never going to be... so...

I am playing Atomic Heart on Xbox.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 24th, 2023, 1:39 am

Tron, it's not so much that no one likes Fortnite.. it's that you are 5 years late to the party!!!

If you want to read through our discussion in 2018, it's all right here: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=16822

And a couple related Battle Royale discussions:
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 9&p=165074
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 9&p=166230

I'll say this -- Fortnite is worth all the hype. I haven't played it in years; I eventually needed to move on. They've probably changed a lot since 2018. But as of 2018, it was the best online shooter I've ever played, and definitely in the Top 20, maybe Top 10, favorite video games I've ever played. If anyone wants to claim Fortnite is the most influential / most important / best game / etc. etc. of the last generation, I think you can make a genuine case for all of those. It had to be the biggest gaming phenomenon of that generation, even if it mostly stole the formula from PlayersUnknown Battlegrounds which was a phenomenom in its own right. I got very addicted to both those games in 2018/2019.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2023, 10:03 am

Yeah my friends use to have a joke that I should put a countdown to 2035 on my site. By then Fortnite will be 20 years old, and thereby classic, so I will be forced to finally review it!

scotland

Postby scotland » February 24th, 2023, 10:21 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah my friends use to have a joke that I should put a countdown to 2035 on my site. By then Fortnite will be 20 years old, and thereby classic, so I will be forced to finally review it!

I imagine your 2035 review of Fortnite will be a lot like your review of Goldeneye - also reviewed about 20 years after its release.

Tron

Postby Tron » February 25th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Retro STrife ————-

You are totally right. I’m too late for the party. That tends to be true for me in almost all walks of life. It may sound bizarro, but I tend to have a delayed reaction to the rest of the world around me.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 25th, 2023, 7:55 pm

I played it when it first came out and had fun with it, but it got old eventually. I tried jumping back in about a year ago, but immediately shut it off when everyone else was playing as Darth Vader, Spider-Man, and Goku, and I was the only one still in the default skin. It was like showing up naked to a fancy dress party.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 14th, 2023, 4:53 am

I’ve been playing Fortnite all day & it totally SUCKS!

Bots have taken over & they are way over powered. I like to play squads, but no matter what we always get wasted by a squad of bots.

Usually they are all generic skins, but sometimes a team of bots will have one bot with a unique skin.

I went back to playing some solo matches against actual human opponents & what a world of difference it makes.

Here’s some observations about the bots:

1. They never retreat or run away. When they are fighting you they don’t stop until death. Human players will often try to hide or escape when their health is low. The bots do not.

2. They stick together & fight together. It’s hard finding a good squad of players that will actually stick together. Usually guys run off in different directions. The bots work together exceptionally well. They’ll flank ya & while you’re shooting at one another one will be off screen shooting at you.

3 Their aim is incredible. Once they hit you you’re dead. Even with full shields & health by the time you take damage from the first shot you’re dead with the second & maybe third shot, though it doesn’t even seem like it takes more than two shots to kill you. Human players will often miss a few shots. This gives you time to get in your shots or run away & recover your health. The bots once they hit you once it’s pretty much over.

4. They always see you. I’ve had squad mates get nailed while I’m a bit always hiding behind a wall. There is no hiding from them. They can see you through the wall & will circle around it to shoot you in the back.

I can kill a bot or two, but the 3rd or 4th ones always get me. I get matched up with real players & some of them are pretty good, but we’re never a match for the bots.

I really hope they stop using the bots. I’d rather have to wait longer to find a game.

This game has really changed in the past few months. Before almost everyone had a unique skin. Now it’s flipped where 60-75% of the players are bots with generic skins. Not sure if it matters, but this has all been on the PS4. When I played on the Xbox One & Switch it was much better with less bots & more real players

Return to “Modern Gaming”