Tears of the Kingdom using the same map as Breath of the Wild?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Tears of the Kingdom using the same map as Breath of the Wild?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 24th, 2023, 9:37 pm

I admit that I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the upcoming sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, and one detail I just learned really caught me off guard: Nintendo is reusing BotW's map.

BotW was all about exploration and discovery, and it pulled that off better than most games in recent memory. How can Nintendo think that we'll get the same amount of engagement from TotK when we've already explored and discovered everything that BotW had to offer? Yes, there's going to be caves and floating islands in the sequel, but do they really think those two features are going to balance the scale between new and reused assets?

I might be wrong. Maybe Nintendo has come up with a way to reuse the old map and somehow make it feel fresh and new. And I guess it makes sense that, being a direct sequel to BotW, it wouldn't make much sense for Hyrule to suddenly be an entirely new continent. But I definitely think I'm going to wait and see on this one.

Stalvern

Re: Tears of the Kingdom using the same map as Breath of the Wild?

Postby Stalvern » March 24th, 2023, 9:55 pm

They've been working on it since 2017, and they're Nintendo. Whatever they're doing with Hyrule, I trust them to make it worthwhile.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 29th, 2023, 12:44 pm

While I trust them and believe that this will be great, it continues to underwhelm me with what they show off. The 10 minute video yesterday of new abilities and small floating islands that you boringly reach via an elevator ability looked more akin to something I'd of expected to be sold as DLC for the original.

That said, I remain confident that this is going to be excellent. Whatever is there that justifies the $70 price tag and being presented as a full fledged sequel to Breath of the Wild just hasn't been communicated well, I'm sure.

Other than the two average Zelda entries on the DS, I've never been left disappointed (And I've played them all so far except Skyward Sword and two of the spin-offs, Hyrule Warriors & Tri-Force Heroes).
Last edited by Atariboy on March 29th, 2023, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 29th, 2023, 3:06 pm

Nintendo spent the last six years coding the ability to attach all the trash in your inventory and in the world to your weapons.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 30th, 2023, 8:32 am

As long as the basic gameplay loop is there it will be fine. Spend 20 minutes exploring, puzzling, or fighting something, unlock something, spend another 20 minutes exploring, puzzling, or fighting something unlock something, rinse and repeat. It's pretty much the same formula as Mario with each of their mini levels.

The basic gameplay loop works exceedingly well. What worked so great in Breath of the Wild was its ability to easily point you to your next endorphin rush with its towers.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 30th, 2023, 8:39 am

ActRaiser wrote:As long as the basic gameplay loop is there it will be fine. Spend 20 minutes exploring, puzzling, or fighting something, unlock something, spend another 20 minutes exploring, puzzling, or fighting something unlock something, rinse and repeat. It's pretty much the same formula as Mario with each of their mini levels.

The basic gameplay loop works exceedingly well. What worked so great in Breath of the Wild was its ability to easily point you to your next endorphin rush with its towers.

That worked in BotW because Hyrule was a vast, open continent with things to discover behind every hill. Will it still hold that same charm now that we've had more than half a decade to familiarize ourselves with it?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 30th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Forza have been doing it for years with their games using the same tracks over and over. People still love them, not sure why.

Return to “Modern Gaming”