New Playstation Portable?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Playstation Portable?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2023, 5:14 pm

I don't know who has been running Sony's Playstation Portable department over the last 10 years, but I wonder how they still have a job.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/05/ ... ps5-games/

At a glance, this looks nice. But it only plays games running off the PS5 in your house on your local network.

ActRaiser

Re: New Playstation Portable?

Postby ActRaiser » May 25th, 2023, 6:27 pm

Personally, I don't get it. There's clearly a market for it. But, it's not me.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 26th, 2023, 2:16 am

Pointless rubbish. You can easily do this with your phone or tablet and hook them up to an officially licensed controller adapter if you wanted. Hell, even the PS vita could do this and still play games natively on a console level. Only way this can be justified is if the controller is significantly cheaper than a tablet or later find other features and uses to sustain itself. Otherwise, I already have my steamdeck and Nintendo switch to give me my on the go fix.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 26th, 2023, 8:35 am

Leave it to Sony to copy Nintendo 10 years too late, i.e. the Nintendo Wii U. Maybe, in another 10 years they'll copy the Switch.

Billydeethrilliamsss

Postby Billydeethrilliamsss » May 26th, 2023, 10:31 am

Crummylion wrote:Pointless rubbish. You can easily do this with your phone or tablet and hook them up to an officially licensed controller adapter if you wanted. Hell, even the PS vita could do this and still play games natively on a console level. Only way this can be justified is if the controller is significantly cheaper than a tablet or later find other features and uses to sustain itself. Otherwise, I already have my steamdeck and Nintendo switch to give me my on the go fix.

You can also use your steam deck to remote play PS5. Among many other things.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 26th, 2023, 11:03 am

ActRaiser wrote:Leave it to Sony to copy Nintendo 10 years too late, i.e. the Nintendo Wii U. Maybe, in another 10 years they'll copy the Switch.

To be fair, Nintendo didn't really invent the concept of console gaming on the go. The Turbo Express and Sega Nomad did the same thing in the '90s. Hell, Sony was doing something similar with Remote Play. Not to mention the fact that Dreamcast had a controller with a screen waaaaaay before the Wii U.

And then Nintendo themselves had the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, allowing you to play handheld games on console

Voor

Postby Voor » May 26th, 2023, 11:13 pm

Seems like Sony’s response to people who like the handheld-ness of the Switch, but it’s restricted to the functionality of the Wii U.

I guess it appeals to people like me that play switch in handheld mode even when they’re home, and even though I’m one of those, I feel like it’s a small market.

Looks dumb.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 27th, 2023, 7:44 am

For those who liked the Vita for every reason except being a Vita.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 24th, 2023, 9:20 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:For those who liked the Vita for every reason except being a Vita.

The Vita was nice for playing MLB The Show franchise on the go. Playing PS5 over wifi, good luck catching up to any fastball!

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » August 26th, 2023, 11:59 am

It's a couple of months later, and the PlayStation Q - now the PlayStation Portal - only looks worse with every new detail.

We now know that the Portal is gonna cost $199, which by itself is nothing to sneeze at. But the more you go down the rabbit hole, the more this thing becomes a massive ripoff. Just the fact that this thing requires a PS5 that has to be turned on and nearby defeats the purpose of having a handheld. What's the point if I can't play this thing anywhere I go like with the Switch or the Steam Deck? Oh, it has a DualSense attached? Whoop-de-do! Who cares?

But here's where it gets good! This thing can stream games from the PS5, but it cannot stream from PlayStation Now! You know, the service that lets you stream any game you want (like Xbox Game Pass)? Without having to purchase it and have it installed on the PS5? Well, that could have given this thing somewhat of a purpose. Golden opportunity lost!

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

This abomination doesn’t even have Bluetooth! You heard right; a device in 2023 that doesn’t have Bluetooth. It instead uses a headphone jack forcing you to use wired headsets like it was a Walkman. And if you do wanna use wireless earbuds, you would have to acquire Sony's upcoming PlayStation-branded Pulse Explore earbuds which cost - get this - $199, the same price as the Portal! So, that's around $400 you would have to spend for the “full” PlayStation Portal experience!

I love PlayStation, but I must say this thing is garbage! It really does feel like Sony's answer to the Wii U gamepad, ten years too late! Yeah, remember the Wii U? How did that work out for you, Nintendo? If this doesn’t turn out to be Sony’s biggest flop since the Vita, I have lost all faith in mankind! :evil:

If you wanna play the PS5, then play the [expletive] PS5!!!

Return to “Modern Gaming”