Buying a Switch - what accessories/games are needed? And which model?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DialSforSam

Re: Buying a Switch - what accessories/games are needed? And which model?

Postby DialSforSam » November 20th, 2023, 9:06 pm

If you're into RPGs, go for the Xenoblade series, although they are sorta long open-world games. Trials of Mana is pretty good too, especially if you're into multiple playthroughs. Astral Chain ain't too bad either.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 23rd, 2023, 11:06 am

You should get a Pro Controller for more serious gaming. Also, an additional pair of joycons wouldn't hurt if you want to play multiplayer (those are pretty expensive). Also recommended is an additional microSD memory card. Because if you start to download more stuff the memory will be full pretty quickly.

For games, my favorite is Streets of Rage 4, especially with the Mr. X Nightmare DLC.
For your kids I recommend Kirby and the Forgotten Land. All the children of my friends love that game. And it's great for parents as well!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 23rd, 2023, 11:08 am

Good advice about getting a second pair of Joycons. Two pair is all you need in order to play with four players!

And they come in some fun colors.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 25th, 2023, 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone. The Switch items for “my daughters” on Christmas continue to grow with everyone’s help. (Fortunately my wife also took care of Christmas shopping for their real gifts before I decided to get a Switch “for the family”..)

So far I got the Pro controller, and an extra 3rd party controller that was on sale for $10. I got a 512gb memory card. I think my wife is grabbing me the Mario Party bundle, which includes an extra set of Joycons. I guess I need to get Online too- does anyone have the extra online package that includes retro Nintendo games? How is it?

For games, I got some for the kids, and for me so far I’ve picked up Mario Odyssey, New Pokemon Snap, and Super Smash Bros. I am prepared to be disappointed by Mario Odyssey, just like I’ve been disappointed by every 3D Mario game ever made. But I always come crawling back, hoping that 3D Mario will finally live up to the hype, only to be disappointed time after time. I’m looking forward to it anyway!

Voor

Postby Voor » November 26th, 2023, 10:24 pm

Switch only is like $20 a year I think and gives you access to NES and SNES titles. There’s the “expanded version” which costs more, and also includes N64 and GBA games, and also the Mario kart DLC tracks. You have to have switch online if you want to play Nintendo games, like Smash, online.

Odyssey is fantastic. Downsides is that it’s easy, upsides is that the control is great, levels are fun, and there’s a challenge should you decide to collect certain items. The skill ceiling can also get higher if you feel like getting into the more advanced movement tech. My daughter and I had a blast with it, passing the controller back and forth—me doing the harder stuff.

Mario Party superstars may be the best one ever. Tip: turn the text and computer stuff to “high”. Game is much more enjoyable the faster you can get through that.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2023, 12:38 am

Voor wrote:Odyssey is fantastic.

That’s what I’m hoping! I was able to play Breath of the Wild on Wii U to scratch that itch, but Odyssey has escaped me the past 7 years without owning a Switch.

I think most of the 3D Mario games have been very good - with the exception of the abomination known as Super Mario Sunshine - but they still never lived up to the “best game ever” hype for me. Which was what I heard in reviews for games like Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 before playing them.

Breath of the Wild helped restore some of my faith in Zelda games though, so I’m hoping Odyssey has the same effect for Mario.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 27th, 2023, 2:33 am

lol, I wouldn’t worry about hype and all that. Sure, some people might say it’s top 10 or whatever, some people would say it’s just “pretty good”, and some people may not like it at all. Just play it for yourself and see if you’re having a good time with it.

I personally found BOTW to be a disappointment, but 90% of that is due to me sucking at 3D puzzles. But since you liked it, maybe check out Tears of the Kingdom. The whole gimmick of that game sounds like a nightmare to me, but some folks fell in love with it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2023, 9:49 am

Voor wrote:I personally found BOTW to be a disappointment, but 90% of that is due to me sucking at 3D puzzles. But since you liked it, maybe check out Tears of the Kingdom. The whole gimmick of that game sounds like a nightmare to me, but some folks fell in love with it.

In fairness, I only played about 10-15 hours of BOTW before switching to Horizon Zero Dawn. HZD felt very similar in concept, but a better game in execution. 100+ hours later, I was still happy with my switch to HZD. But for my 10+ hours of BOTW, I was way more impressed than the past few Zeldas and it felt like A territory. But then again, maybe I just prevented it from wearing out its welcome by quitting early.

And I hear ya about just going with the flow on Odyssey, rather than comparing it to hype. But the thing is, gaming time is so slim these days that I have to very selective about what I play. There’s so many A games that I can’t even get to. But when “best game ever” is tossed around for Mario Galaxy, I play it. And then I feel like it’s a B, but I stick with it til the bitter end just in case. When Galaxy 2 comes along, they say “no, what were we thinking before- this is actually the best game ever”. Ok, rinse and repeat- it’s just another B that I pour 25 hours into. We can’t spend time on B’s, but I keep chasing this A+ that everyone says I should be feeling. Suddenly you start resenting Mario not because of the games themselves, but because of some idiot at IGN that can’t objectively review a Nintendo game. Next thing you know you’re on a retro gaming forum posting some giant paragraph ranting about Mario like a crazy person…

Tron

Postby Tron » November 28th, 2023, 11:48 pm

Great timing for this topic for me too. I don’t have a Switch, but when I saw Advance Wars 1 & 2 on sale at Wal Mart i bought it. I figured it might be one of those Nintendo type titles that don’t depreciate much. The only other Switch games I’m probably going to get are the Fire Emblem ones & Brigandine. Maybe a couple more, but not the typical Mario stuff.

My daughters loved Animal Crossing on the 3DS more than the Switch version. They both loved Star Dew Valley, but I think that’s digital only. Don’t forget Minecraft. Even if they have it on 3 other systems. Just don’t forget My Little Pony. That’s the only game you’ll ever really need anyways, hahaha.

Return to “Modern Gaming”