Pop Up Ads in Games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Pop Up Ads in Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2023, 11:26 am

For a long time I've been warning of the slippery slope for on-line gaming. I think one of my worst fears has been realized. In the latest Assassin's Creed game players are seeing pop-ups on the map screen! Can you imagine purchasing the game and being subjected to this?

https://it.slashdot.org/story/23/11/24/ ... sins-creed

Of course Ubisoft (who has a really bad reputation in the industry) is blaming it on a "technical error". Yeah right! I bet they were trying to see if they could get away with it, but when called out they came up with this lame excuse.

Quick_Man

Re: Pop Up Ads in Games

Postby Quick_Man » November 24th, 2023, 12:23 pm

That's the most Ubisoft thing ever lol.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 4th, 2023, 11:08 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Of course Ubisoft (who has a really bad reputation in the industry) is blaming it on a "technical error". Yeah right! I bet they were trying to see if they could get away with it, but when called out they came up with this lame excuse.

They know they aren't fooling anyone. They also know they can just go ahead and do it in 5 years anyway. The only thing that could possibly stop them is if gamers decide they won't consume the latest product, which ain't happening.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 5th, 2023, 11:57 am

Wow. I just saw a video of this. The idea in general is ludicrous, but I thought it was just going to be a small window in one of the bottom corners. It takes up the whole FREAKING screen. Corporate greed is everywhere now and it seems to be hit about the worst in the video game industry. I looked to add a new wallpaper for my PC as it was getting tired of looking at the old one. Many of them want to charge $5 for a download of a picture. Just unreal these days. :x

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 5th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Pretty soon game companies will expect you to pay full price for games and then $20 a month for the premium option to disable ads.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » December 5th, 2023, 2:44 pm

mbd36 wrote:Pretty soon game companies will expect you to pay full price for games and then $20 a month for the premium option to disable ads.

I mean, we're already seeing the increasing mobilification/Facebookification of full price games with garbage like Mortal Kombat 1's stupid idea of paying $12 for a Halloween Fatality. Now, I love Fatalities, sure, but they are, in essence, ten second cutscenes. And they want 12 bucks for one of those ten second cutscenes that you can literally just search on YouTube.

I've never been one of those doomerists who whines about everything about the future of gaming and how gaming was soooo much better pre-online. DLC content like new characters in fighting games, new songs in rhythm games, additional story/campaigns in various genres, character skins and costumes? Sure, I'm into that. I paid a few bucks here and there for some costumes in fighting games, I've bought more Rock Band DLC than I care to admit because they were, after all, like a dollar a song and five dollars for a whole pack of costumes. I saw fun in these small little extras at extremely low cost.

Nowadays though stuff is getting more like mobile/Facebook games and everything has been significantly uppriced. Fighting games now don't just have a few DLC characters, practically half the roster at the end of a game's life will be DLC that will basically cost what the game did at full price to unlock. Don't want to buy them? That's cool! Tekken 7 has like 15 DLC characters and the only two I bought were Geese because I like the source material he's from and Armor King because he's a classic and his redesign is phenomenal. But it's a damn slippery slope. Fighting one of those characters online is like an instant loss, too, because Tekken is a fighting game that so heavily relies on you knowing the character you're facing as much as the one you're playing. So you're heavily punished if you want to get good at the game and compete online but don't want to drop 60 bucks or so on DLC you don't want to play as.

Street Fighter V did this thing where it WOULD actually show ads while loading into matches. I didn't mind it too much because it took no additional time to load, and, hey, they were for the Capcom Pro Tour. I figured it was harmless to go "hey, you're playing our game? Why not try your hand at competing in it in our tournaments?" Now we've just drove off the cliff with that relative justification with what Ubisoft's pulling, in my opinion. It really is possible that we see the ultimate mobile game/Facebook game move of having ads and "daily energy" in games with microtransactions(are they even really micro anymore?) to turn them off and refill your energy to continue playing the game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 6th, 2023, 1:10 am

Quick_Man wrote:microtransactions(are they even really micro anymore?)

They never were. "Microtransactions" is a word that was invented in the '90s for a never-realized idea to replace ads with voluntary payments to visit sites. They would have been "microtransactions" because they would have been extremely small, a fraction of a cent, roughly the revenue from a banner ad impression. The word got revived when games started charging for cosmetics and other trivial features because it sounded nicer than "transactions" or "in-game purchases", not because it actually meant anything in this context.

Really, the Internet would have been a thousand times better if the dream of microtransactions had come true, but that ship has sailed and sunk and been overgrown with coral.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 7th, 2023, 2:14 am

I remember Papa John's and Snickers ads in Madden 11, and they were quite intrusive. I don't mind ads in games, especially sports games, as long as they're integrated like they are in real life. I wouldn't mind seeing a Budweiser sign at Wrigley, or that Torco Oil sign across Sheffield Avenue they used to have. But pop-ups? How obnoxious!

Return to “Modern Gaming”