Switch 2 this year?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Switch 2 this year?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2024, 8:34 am

I've been hearing intermittent reports that Nintendo may be releasing the Switch 2 THIS YEAR! I find this astonishing for several reasons.

First, it's hard to believe the original Switch has been out for SEVEN YEARS now. It still seems new, but in decades past, it would have been succeeded by a newer system long ago.

Next, I wonder what gets improved? In the past we had huge leaps in graphics and sound. Now it's hard to tell between games from this and the previous generation (see: PS4 and PS5 games).

I do think there's some low-hanging fruit. The new Switch could support a higher resolution, especially on the portable screen. They could improve the joycons, which people don't tend to be wild about.

But these are very minor, incremental changes. Thoughts?

Quick_Man

Re: Switch 2 this year?

Postby Quick_Man » February 24th, 2024, 8:56 am

Iron out the performance issues on the more taxing side of video games. I don't care if I have to play in the lowest resolution on God's green Earth, please just make a system where the majority of games can handle a solid 60 frames per second. Make a console that is also easier for third-parties to port games to instead of going "well, us here at NINTENDO can handle it, so figure it out yourselves..." and then blaming those third parties when the ports are dramatically undercooked (hello, Mortal Kombat 11). And figure out some more stable online solutions for the system that will HOPEFULLY have more fighting games to play than just Smash Bros. If something like Tekken or Street Fighter 6 gets a Switch 2 port, this is mandatory.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 24th, 2024, 6:24 pm

The latest scuttlebutt is it will slip to 2025 spring due to wanting more launch games available. Who knows what's true other than the Switch is old even by Nintendo standards. Hopefully, it launches with OLED.

Metroid has been in dev hell for over 5 years at this point. My guess is it becomes a launch game with Mario Kart.

The other easy one would be a port of the Wii U Twilight Princess game. It's that or they announce it for a Switch fall release to tied them over.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2024, 6:50 pm

According to this article, Nintendo also wants to bulk up on their inventory to counteract all the scalpers that made the PS5 launch such a debacle.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-2-20 ... 1851286439

Seems like a good strategy. Now everybody should be able to get one at normal retail price.

Also, I hear Switch 2 will still accept physical media! For how many years have we been told that physical media was over??

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 27th, 2024, 12:26 am

Already? I can't even keep up anymore.

Return to “Modern Gaming”