Tekken 8 horror story.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BlasteroidAli

Tekken 8 horror story.

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 8th, 2024, 3:29 am

UK's gaming bible, the Metro newspaper, has another scary story. This time from everyone's fave brawler. Though not for much longer as the youth of today do not want to play fight club type games.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/03/tekken-boss-says-young-people-afraid-losing-play-fighting-games-20582615/?ico=just-in_article_must-read

I feel they maybe Tekken the P with this story. This is what I wanted to say about the Metro. While it is fun to read on the tube in the way to work, it is hardly a source of sound info.

More PS5 news here. https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/news/ps5/

DrLitch

Re: Tekken 8 horror story.

Postby DrLitch » April 8th, 2024, 9:23 am

In British slang, Fighting games are not much Kop. You have played Tekken 8 already, years ago. Minor iterations on the formula, seen one, seen them all.

BlasteroidAli wrote:I feel they maybe Tekken the P with this story.

Bordering towards a dad joke :D. I appreciate it though ;)

BlasteroidAli wrote:it is hardly a source of sound info.

Pinch of salt, I would not read that bunk.

BlasteroidAli wrote:While it is fun to read on the tube in the way to work

Well in that case that makes sense. District Line, 30 mins to next stop, got to do what you got to do. When I lived there, there was a paper called the Sun that I occasionally read in transit - page 3 was an eye opener :lol: I lived in England for a few years, I like to move around, or rather, my job likes to move me around.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » April 8th, 2024, 9:29 am

They're actually right though. As time moves on more and more people do not want to be told "you lose" in a video game. Fighting games are one of the harshest genres out there so it's no surprise it can turn off new, young and casual audiences. There's no set of five other teammates to blame when you lose and there's no experience meter to reward participation when you lose a match. Hell, when you lose a close match, not only do you not gain anything for playing, you will actively be punished by losing rank points, essentially removing some of the progress you have made. You are going to get your ass beat over and over and over again no matter how good you are because the experience is 100% intrinsic. You can't just go grind weaker enemies to make your character better like some kind of RPG - you yourself will have to get better.

That's what I love about the genre so much, the lack of anything to work on but your own skills, it's also why I love rhythm games. I can't stand games where the gameplay is totally extrinsic, where all you have to do to get by something difficult is just go make your numbers higher so you can smack the problem harder until it falls down.

Harada mentions adding team battles in this article, which is funny, considering they got RID of them in Tekken 7 after having them in EVERY SINGLE TEKKEN GAME except the very original! Tekken 2 had them in, what, 1995? 1996? Honestly, Tekken 8 has enough pains in the ass right now in terms of design (say hello to everybody's favourite move - releasing a game to huge fanfare and THEN slapping in microtransactions a month or two later!) without them needing to worry that the Call of Duty kids can't handle getting demoted in rank after a bad session.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2024, 5:00 pm

Interesting about the kids today not wanting to lose. They are definitely soft. When I was a kid we competed pretty hard. We would talk smack talk all the time with no concern for being PC. It was so over the top it became kind of a joke. You got used to the derogatory language. It was part of the game.

Today if I talk trash against a younger player they are taken aback. They aren't used to being criticized and don't realize it's all in good fun. They are a lot more polite but sometimes they are too soft and sensitive to people's feelings. F that!

Playing online has its own separate issues. For a casual Mortal Kombat or Madden player like myself, who wants to go online and get smacked down by some guy living in his parents garage who dedicates every waking moment to the game?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 8th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » April 8th, 2024, 8:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Interesting about the kids today not wanting to lose. They are definitely soft. When I was a kid we competed pretty hard. We would talk smack talk all the time with no concern for being PC. It was so over the top it became kind of a joke. You got used to the derogatory language. It was part of the game.

Today if I talk trash against a younger player they are taken aback. They aren't used to being criticized and don't realize it's all in good fun. They are a lot more polite but sometimes they are too soft and sensitive to people's feelings. F that!

Playing online has its own separate issues. For a casual Mortal Kombat or Madden player like myself, who wants to go online and get smacked down by some guy living in his parents garage who dedicates every waking moment to the game?

Fighting games still have probably the best trash talk in gaming, just search YouTube for any number of "[insert fighting game here] popoffs". From my experience the only people who whine about how they can't trash talk anymore are those you'd find in old Call of Duty lobbies just wanting to say slurs over and over again. People are fine with keeping it in the game, but a lot of people don't do that, and so a lot of people don't want it around at all. What's interesting anyway is that there quite clearly is a rise of young palyers in the scenes of games like Street Fighter 6, King of Fighters 15 and Mortal Kombat 1. Tekken seems to be the only major fighting game around where a lot of the tip-top guys are still people who were tip-top guys 10 to 15 years ago. So kids clearly can play.

I've before seen an image (which I shan't post for obvious reasons) of an arcade in I believe China or Hong Kong where the floors and some of the cabinets were covered in blood. Why? Well, two people were playing a King of Fighters game, someone won with a raw Super, and his opponent didn't like that very much. So he decided to stab him. Fighting game salt is... strong. Powerful. Potent.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » April 9th, 2024, 10:05 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Today if I talk trash against a younger player they are taken aback.

I call BS on that. BS has been called, sir.

If anything players of every age are even more prone to trash talk because of the anonymity screen that comes with being on the internet. Face to face play had its own filter. You either took it so over the top that the other person could only laugh, or you held back because you were in punching reach of the person you were trashing.

Playing online? None of that applies.

quick_man wrote:I've before seen an image (which I shan't post for obvious reasons) of an arcade in I believe China or Hong Kong where the floors and some of the cabinets were covered in blood. Why? Well, two people were playing a King of Fighters game, someone won with a raw Super, and his opponent didn't like that very much. So he decided to stab him. Fighting game salt is... strong. Powerful. Potent.

Reminds me of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Manga issue where Yugi kept beating someone in a fighting game, so they beat him up.in real life.

Life imitates art, or vice versa?

Voor

Postby Voor » April 11th, 2024, 3:42 am

I play rocket league a lot, always online, and it’s true….when you play 1s, it feels much more personal when you lose. Nobody else to blame, you just got beat, son.

Critic is showing his old man mentality a bit, because I’ve played against kids 1/3 my age that will talk trash with the best of them. It doesn’t bother me as long as it doesn’t turn into racial slurs.

Regarding the critics claim that he doesn’t want to play against basement dwellers…..any game with a decent matchmaking system will take care of that issue.

But there is always a progression where you play, take a lot of “Ls” at first, and gradually get better. And nearly everyone at some point thinks “is it worth it to keep playing?”

DeGave

Postby DeGave » April 16th, 2024, 7:09 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Interesting about the kids today not wanting to lose. They are definitely soft. When I was a kid we competed pretty hard. We would talk smack talk all the time with no concern for being PC. It was so over the top it became kind of a joke. You got used to the derogatory language. It was part of the game.

I guess it depends on the group you play. My son and his friends trash talk exactly as hard as anything I ever heard on the playground as a kid or online as a teenager. But him and his friends all play lots of organized sports, and are pretty good at them, so they're used to trash talking during face to face competition too.

As for kids not wanting to play hard games, that doesn't seem correct to me. I cannot interest my son in any single player games. He only ever wants to play competitive games, and to do everything possible to gain any edge. I think maybe the format of fighting games just doesn't appeal much anymore. It's so dependent on weird, esoteric button combinations just to DO the thing you want to do, that the mechanics get in the way of the strategy. RPGs were a top genre (like FF7) when that was the best way tooo tell a cinematic story. Now that other genres can tell a story and have more rewarding mechanics, RPGs are niche. Similarly, when then best way to play competitively was to sand next to your opponent and button combo, fighting games were on top. Now, there are better ways to play competitively.

Return to “Modern Gaming”