A Year of Final Fantasy on Nintendo Switch

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Jonasbrother

A Year of Final Fantasy on Nintendo Switch

Postby Jonasbrother » April 12th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Hi there,

I have recently had the privilege of obtaining every Final Fantasy 1-X2 physically for Nintendo switch, and back in January I made a resolution to try and play and review all of them by the end of the year. A lofty goal to be sure! Just about 15 years of final fantasy games to work on.

If I end up finishing all of these games before years' end, i'll be picking up final fantasy 12, and maybe even explore some of the spin off games. I'm currently in school for mathematics so we'll see how free time goes.
I've played through final fantasy 1-3 and posted my reviews on the reader reviews section. I'm currently onto FF4, and i'll be progressing chronologically. I'll be playing final fantasy 1-6 on the pixel remaster cartridge, 7-8 on the double pack download-free import cart from asia, FF9 from its singaporean download-free switch release, and x/x2 from its asian download free switch release.

If anyone wants to share any of their favorite moments for the games or things to look forward to (or watch out for!) i'd be glad to hear it. PLEASE mind your spoilers. Thank you!! :)

Zack Burner

Re: A Year of Final Fantasy on Nintendo Switch

Postby Zack Burner » April 13th, 2024, 9:28 am

Ah Final Fantasy, probably my favorite gaming franchise of all-time! I've played 4,6,7, and 8 in my life and I always dig up a reason to revisit them. Their storylines always grab me, I can see myself in a character or two or even three, I can unlock my inner badass, and they all know a thing or three about irony. There's always a twist at some point that throws you for a loop that surprises even me, which I won't reveal here. Here's my take on the 4 I have played:

IV: despite the (somewhat) simplistic graphics, I love the characters, one of which makes a HUGE change at one point though be on the lookout for a few characters who might seem evil but hold a sense of honor or were actually good all along. The only gripe I have is whatever characters you have are always fixed meaning you have one character for a while, only to get replaced with another later, but even so I still love it, I have this game on my Iphone.

VI: Considered one of the best and many will get no argument here and for good reason. The story is much more gripping with some mature themes, and probably has the biggest roster in the franchise, although not every character is a winner plus you have to try your best not to give every character the best spell(s) as then it becomes too easy. What makes me come back to this one is it's a 2 act game meaning you get 2 worlds instead of one the 2nd is because the villain does something beyond barbaric. Speaking of which, the villain is considered one of the most unforgettable because of his actions and his iconic evil laugh which will haunt your sleep.

VII: Arguably my all-time favorite, even if time hasn't been 100% kind to it. The characters are winners I love Cloud and Tifa, the magic system is king, gotta love the deadly Limit Breaks, the storyline still grips me to this day with plenty of emotional moments one of which is iconic (I won't reveal it, but it almost moved me to tears the first time I played it). I could play this game forever, I even managed to obtain a different take on it for my phone called Ever Crisis which is a win-win solution, where if you loved the original, but wanted to get a taste of the remake yet don't want to fork up hundreds of dollars to play it and its extensions you get the best of all worlds.

VIII: I like this one even if it has its flaws, one of them is the magic system which both stinks and rocks at the same time. I can relate to a character or two or even three especially if you played this game in your high school years like I have. The graphics opt for a more "realistic" approach which I like and the overture is like Carmina Burana though much later on there's a song you can actually hear. Love the Guardian Forces even though using them kind of gets old pretty quickly.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 13th, 2024, 6:35 pm

There is also XII Zodiac Age on the Switch. Crisis Core as well.

Yeah the 1-6 remasters in one collection is one of my personal highlights in my collection although I had to get the boxed collectors edition because Square Enix sold out online their regular versions. I do not like these collectors editions since all I care about is the cart and it does not fit in with the rest of the collection.

Aside from that, Final Fantasy VI is my personal favourite in that collection. The rest of the games are a little meh.

Personal favourite is VII, closely followed by X/X-2. Among my favourite games of all time. VI as well.

Jonasbrother

Postby Jonasbrother » April 13th, 2024, 9:56 pm

DrLitch wrote:There is also XII Zodiac Age on the Switch. Crisis Core as well.

Yeah the 1-6 remasters in one collection is one of my personal highlights in my collection although I had to get the boxed collectors edition because Square Enix sold out online their regular versions. I do not like these collectors editions since all I care about is the cart and it does not fit in with the rest of the collection.

Aside from that, Final Fantasy VI is my personal favourite in that collection. The rest of the games are a little meh.

Personal favourite is VII, closely followed by X/X-2. Among my favourite games of all time. VI as well.

Final fantasy 3 was so good bro are you allergic to a good time omg . how dare lol !!!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 14th, 2024, 10:41 am

DrLitch wrote:Yeah the 1-6 remasters in one collection is one of my personal highlights in my collection although I had to get the boxed collectors edition because Square Enix sold out online their regular versions.

It looks like the regular Switch cartridge is on Amazon for $99.

Is that the expected retail price or is that the sold out price with markup? I'm out of the loop on these things but wouldn't mind picking these up for the Switch in physical form.

Jonasbrother

Postby Jonasbrother » April 14th, 2024, 1:52 pm

ActRaiser wrote:It looks like the regular Switch cartridge is on Amazon for $99.

Is that the expected retail price or is that the sold out price with markup? I'm out of the loop on these things but wouldn't mind picking these up for the Switch in physical form.

It’s the going rate, but it does go on sale for about $20 cheaper sometimes. There’s honestly 200+ hours of content on there so I really can’t complain too much about the price. I’ve already gotten more value / hours played than I have some lesser priced AAA experiences

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 14th, 2024, 10:52 pm

Jonasbrother wrote:Final fantasy 3 was so good bro are you allergic to a good time omg . how dare lol !!!

;)

ActRaiser wrote:It looks like the regular Switch cartridge is on Amazon for $99.

If memory serves me right the regular version sold at $79. A bit of a rip off given these games are mad old. I paid around $200 bucks for the collectors edition because I thought they were a one off print, Square Enix indicated as much. Looks like they reprinted them anyway, and now selling for $99. Good grief.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 15th, 2024, 8:46 am

DrLitch wrote:
Jonasbrother wrote:Final fantasy 3 was so good bro are you allergic to a good time omg . how dare lol !!!

;)

If memory serves me right the regular version sold at $79. A bit of a rip off given these games are mad old. I paid around $200 bucks for the collectors edition because I thought they were a one off print, Square Enix indicated as much. Looks like they reprinted them anyway, and now selling for $99. Good grief.

Thanks guys. After doing a bit of searching it looks like Play-Asia is selling them for $79 and free shipping for $99 so I may pick up a couple of games to cover the shipping costs.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 15th, 2024, 9:08 am

ActRaiser wrote:Thanks guys. After doing a bit of searching it looks like Play-Asia is selling them for $79 and free shipping for $99 so I may pick up a couple of games to cover the shipping costs.

Play Asia is one of my favorite places to shop for Switch or PS4 games. Just be sure to read carefully whether English or not. Asian/Japanese titles I prefer buying in general because I prefer the artwork. This company in Canada also carry Play Asia stuff and they do not charge for shipping, worth a look: https://videogamesplus.ca/products/fina ... ort-switch

Van Halbgott

Postby Van Halbgott » May 15th, 2024, 10:54 am

With all do respect to the franchise, I used to play Final Fantasy VII before the story decided to get wierd to me.

Aerith: I think you should dress like a girl.

Me: …What?

That’s how wierd the series got in my opinion, and now my character is doing something crazy and gathering materials to dress like a girl in order to follow Tifa Lockheart.

That part didn’t really work for me, so I put it down.

Usually, when a work does something I don’t like or does it multiple times I just put the work down and move on to something else. It happens with most particular mediums that I’ve tried to enjoy beforehand, and that’s just me.

I’m just wierder than the game itself, I guess.

Return to “Modern Gaming”