Xbox 360 Marketplace Sales

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
brendand

Xbox 360 Marketplace Sales

Postby brendand » June 19th, 2024, 1:32 am

Some excellent games for good cheap download prices
Before the closure of the marketplace next month.

https://www.trueachievements.com/news/n ... ale-wave-2

150+ titles on sale some are AAA games

I have downloaded around 35 titles myself

Unfortunately some of these games are lost forever next month

brendand

Re: Xbox 360 Marketplace Sales

Postby brendand » June 19th, 2024, 1:32 am

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 19th, 2024, 1:35 am

brendand wrote:Unfortunately some of these games are lost forever next month

Emulation and piracy will make sure they're not thankfully

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 19th, 2024, 12:24 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Emulation and piracy will make sure they're not thankfully

Depends on games. ROM sites been targeted for deletion. Big ROM sites like Vimm's Lair took down a bunch of ROM's that were not just the Nintendo stuff. I recommend download now, from any site that has them, while you can. It is inevitable the takedown will happen with search engines strong armed into revealing no hits. With Cloud and online subscriptions, many of the classics are going to find a new home and form, for a fee of course, with longevity dependent on the platform and when the servers are retired. Will be a big boon for retro resellers as prices creep up. Not so much for regular joes passionate about the retro classics but not into the competitive and expensive retro collecting scene.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 5th, 2024, 2:07 am

Sad to see another digital marketplace go down- and preservation getting harder and harder for the future crop of retro gamers. With these sales happening, I plan to log on and buy some of these games before it closes on July 29th. Mostly I plan to focus on games that will be lost forever - if they’re available on disc or if they can still be bought on a newer Xbox, then I’d probably pass for now.

This appears to be a thorough list of everything disappearing forever: https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/ ... id=1491161

-Any essential games that anyone recommends that won’t be available any other way once the store closes?

brendand

Postby brendand » July 5th, 2024, 2:30 am

thankyou that is fairly extensive i would also get REZ HD sure it is on a compliation xbox 360 game called Qubed but that keeps getting more expensive and as far as i know it was only released in US.
so out there may also be regional stuff that has physicals overseas but not locally some of those are worth grabbing also.

DX_Receiver

Postby DX_Receiver » July 5th, 2024, 2:59 pm

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from acquiring games the legal way here, but if you are concerned about playing XBLA games moving forward, you should look into acquiring a modded 360. I can imagine RGH systems increasing in value over the next several years as nostalgia for the 360 begins picking up.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 6th, 2024, 8:45 am

Can anyone make any specific recommendations on what is the 'best of the best' from this list of Xbox 360 titles on sale? I'm happy to throw a few bucks at a couple of them, but I don't really recognize any by titles and that Xbox marketplace is absolutely woeful about just showing you a quick video for any specific game you might be interested in.

GStratos

Postby GStratos » July 8th, 2024, 2:46 am

I second the C64's critic request, I also would like to know of any last-chance grabs, especially when it comes to racing games if possible. I already got Joy Ride Turbo and Hydro Thunder Hurricane, not sure if there's anything else.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 8th, 2024, 3:43 am

C64_Critic wrote:Can anyone make any specific recommendations on what is the 'best of the best' from this list of Xbox 360 titles on sale?

Here’s another helpful article. It’s a little older, from December, but it claims that these 47 games are the ones disappearing forever (i.e., no other way to get them) when the shop closes:

https://www.gamesradar.com/here-are-the ... huts-down/

I definitely recommend Aegis Wing- it’s good and it’s free. It’s a side scrolling shmup. It was a cool concept when it came out- a group of interns at Microsoft made it, so Microsoft released it for free in 2007.

The rest I haven’t played, and no big-name games are on here. But I checked all of them and here’s 16 that may be worth a look:

1. The Dishwasher was a respectable 2D beat em up in the early days of Xbox Live.
2. Fusion: Genesis is an interesting genre mashup (shooter/action/etc.) set in space and worth a look based on the reviews.
3. Hybrid is a 3rd person shooter with decent reviews.
4 & 5. Check out Schizoid and Wreckateer too- both look pretty cool in screenshots and got solid reviews.

6 & 7. Downloadable games for Kinect are all disappearing. I’ve never used my Kinect, but Haunt looks cool enough to download just in case. Fruit Ninja is on there too.

8, 9, & 10. Not many licensed games on the list, except two South Park games. Gotham City Impostors is another licensed game. Impostors is a multiplayer-only shooter, so I wonder if it is even playable these days.

11 - 15. I see a few names that might interest retro gamers, like Battlezone, Bubble Bobble Neo, Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure, Wing Commander Arena, and the remake of Double Dragon II (which is supposedly horrendous).

16. And there’s Minesweeper Flags- a modern take on the Windows classic, which I need to download despite the mediocre review scores.

Lastly, from brendand’s list in the original post, a couple other digital-only games to consider include Burnout Crash and Bionic Commando: Rearmed.

Return to “Modern Gaming”