Sequel to Zelda: Link to the Past coming to the 3DS

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2013, 10:58 pm

Zelda: Link to the Past is one of the greatest games of all time.  It's 2D overhead graphics are timeless and its design was flawless.  Nintendo has announced that a proper sequel is on the way to the 3DS.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm glad the game is being made, but I wish it was going to be on the Wii U instead.  I'd really prefer to kick back in my easy chair and enjoy the game instead of hunching over a portable.

It seems like few games are released to console unless they are epic in scope and have cutting-edge graphics.  It doesn't have to be that way, and Nintendo should know that better than anyone.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 4th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Yea I agree, with you Critic.  While the announcement is certainly nice, if this was a Wii U release it would be a crazy system seller.  I realize that Nintendo is going to come out with a new 3D Ocarina of Time-esque game for the Wii U but I'm honestly getting tired of that.  The most memorable Zelda games for me are the ones that go off the beaten path of what to normally expect...Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Zelda II.  The ones that garner the most hate are actually some of my favorite Zelda games.  Though A Link to the Past is the series pinnacle for me...and pretty much everyone loves that one.

I don't want to get a 3DS for this sequel though.  Nintendo did it with Mario, why not just give us NEW Legend of Zelda Wii U?  Maybe they're just testing the waters on the 3DS and this style of game will eventually make it to the Wii U.  

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 4th, 2013, 7:06 pm

This will probably be a dumb question but does the 3DS do anything differently than what the Wii U can do from a hardware perspective, excluding 3D?

The Wii U controller contains a screen.  Your TV is the second screen.  Why couldn't they port 3DS and DS games to the Wii U?

I get that games that require constantly looking at both screens quickly at the same time would be a pain in the rear, but as a whole it should work (in theory).

I don't know if any of the 3DS games actually require the 3D slider function to work well enough that if you couldn't see it you wouldn't be able to see "around" an object to find a second object behind it.  If so that's got to be a pretty limited number of instances.

Are there other features that make it impractical to port games to the Wii U?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 4th, 2013, 8:05 pm

I am interested in the game. The 3D screen was supposedly the motivating factor to put it on 3DS (and if you go to eshop and download the trailer it looks pretty good). It is surprising to me that they are keeping the original overworld, but then again it will be interesting to see how they tweak it, as this game logically takes place several years after the SNES one - so that could be kind of fun. Sort of like Orcarina of Time, actually, only on two different games 20 years apart!!!

As far as WiiU - there is a rumour of 3ds and WiiU interaction, which could mean 4 Swords, which is fun in its own right.

Anyway, E3 is just around the corner - the most wonderful time of the year! I would take a direct sequel to Zelda II, myself....

a1

Postby a1 » June 4th, 2013, 10:45 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I don't know if any of the 3DS games actually require the 3D slider function to work well enough that if you couldn't see it you wouldn't be able to see "around" an object to find a second object behind it.  If so that's got to be a pretty limited number of instances.

Are there other features that make it impractical to port games to the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

There isn't a single 3DS game that requires 3d, it's just an enhanced effect. In fact, I have worse vision in my left eye (not bad enough that I feel like wearing glasses) which makes it hard to play in 3d, so I usually have the slider off.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 5th, 2013, 2:03 am

I wish the transformation mechanic wasn't in here. I don't like the 3D graphics that are necessary for the transformation mechanic so that they can shift the perspective away from the overheard perspective when you switch to "Paper Link" nearly as much as the 2D graphics of Link to the Past.

Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube is more the graphics style that I'd like to have seen here. It essentially stayed with 2D Link to the Past style graphics with some added atmospheric effects like fog that took advantage of the GameCube's hardware. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKCa82A8fk

I
'd love to see a traditional 2D Zelda that looks like that. This was a good game, but a level based multiplayer oriented Zelda is no substitute for the real deal.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 6th, 2013, 5:47 pm

http://www.edge-online.com/news/a-link-to-the-past-2-will-have-a-dark-world-and-run-at-60fps/

“This new title will feature lots of things that are new to the series; right at the start of the game, there’s a big surprise that will shock players,” he told us. “We started out with the new play mechanics, such as Link being able to become a painting and walk along the walls, and then figured out from there how to build a story around them. Rather than forcing elements of the original story into this one, we’ve instead focused on bringing back the characters, so you can see what happened to them after the events of the first game.”

An alternative dark world, a key feature of the original game, will also be an important part of the sequel, Aonuma confirmed. “Part of what made A Link To The Past interesting was the way you could move between the Light World and the Dark World and solve puzzles, and we’re planning to bring that back in A Link To The Past 2 for sure,” he told us. “Link’s ability to become a painting will be related to that.”

I am kind of excited about this, partly due to nostalgia. Zelda SNES is not my fave Zelda game, but it will be fun to go back, it did have the kick ass music and sound effects...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 6th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I'm excited about this but I would have to agree that I think it should be a Wii U release. That would be something that none of the competitors would do that wasn't downloadable. The original game has such a following that Nintendo could have used this as a reason to buy a Wii U. They could have really took advantage of the HD and made a great overhead title. Still, I'm glad that this is even going to be released.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 9th, 2013, 8:49 pm

I just read that this game will run at 60 frames per second... even while it's in 3D.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/08/the-legend-of-zelda-3ds-runs-at-60-frames-per-second-in-3d-mode/

A
 Link to the Past is currently my favorite game of all time (though my top 10 favorites seem to be ever changing), so to say I'm hyped for this would be a massive understatement.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 18th, 2013, 7:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPaq1M7qPrY&feature=youtu.be&a

This looks fantastico.

Return to “Modern Gaming”