Transferring PS3 save files

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Nothing is simple when it comes to modern gaming.

I finally got my "new" PS3 which is actually the original Slim model (160 GB).  It's a nice machine, and frankly looks a lot better than my PS4.

Last summer when my original "piano" PS3 died, but friendly resurrected it long enough for me to save my save data off.  Today I copied that save data to my new PS3.  I coped that data onto my new system via flash drive.

The problem is, when I tried to load the old data, I get weird results.  It some cases (Ridge Racer 6) is said there was no save data.  In other 3D Dot Heroes it seemed to think the data was from a different user (although my username has always been VideoGameCritic).

If anybody has any ideas feel free to share.  Otherwise it looks like my saves are not going to be any good under the new system.  Not the end of the world, but it shouldn't be this hard.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » December 10th, 2013, 7:36 am

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but mine was straight forward although I did back mine up to an external HDD not a flash drive ? Might be the difference perhaps ?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2013, 12:08 pm

I suspect one thing complicating the situation is the whole "trophies/achievements" aspect.  
Another negative side effect I had never even thought about.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » December 10th, 2013, 2:50 pm

I know I used to regularly copy saves between the 2 PS3s I have by thumbstick. 

Things may have changed...

Some games enforce copy protection on their save files.
Some games require a subscription to PS Plus to copy/move save files.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 10th, 2013, 3:20 pm

I'm on my third PS3. When the second one died, I had it resurrected so that I'd have time to transfer all my data to my newer system (a 320 gig Slim). The transfer operation involved hooking up the two systems via ethernet, and, while not rocket science, couldn't be described as user friendly. Fortunately, I found a very well done tutorial on Youtube, but this was a still a tedious experience. The only data I couldn't transfer was from Little Big Planet, and I believe there are other documented exceptions like this on the Internet. As for the ressurected system, I knew it wouldn't last long, and gave it to a friend in exchange of a couple of retro games he had in the attic. Predictably, it died after 6 months.. 

In any case, the transfer procedure would ensure you get all of your data, you might want to look into it. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with this issue ever again, I hear Slims can have problems, but it's a rare occurence, and not supposed to be as serious as the Fats. Kinda like humans I suppose, LOL

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 10th, 2013, 6:47 pm

I miss memory cards, they made it so easy...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2013, 7:22 pm

And these are just game saves I'm talking about.

Imagine if I had invested a ton of money into downloadable content and couldn't get that to work.  I think I'd be pretty upset.

Moral of the story: If you download something onto your console, don't expect to be able to access that when your machine goes belly up.  I know you're supposed to be able to, but there are no guarantees in this brave new world of video games.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 11th, 2013, 4:02 am

When you did the system to system transfer, the things that didn't transfer were copy protected (Common particularly for online multiplayer titles). The only way to get those over to new hardware would be cloud saving which you have access to if you have a Playstation Plus subscription. 

So that's why Little Big Planet didn't transfer.

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]

Imagine if I had invested a ton of money into downloadable content and couldn't get that to work.  I think I'd be pretty upset.
[/QUOTE]

If you had an activation left, all you would have to do is redownload it after logging into your PSN account on your new system. If you didn't have an available activation, you just need to deactivate your older systems to free your activations (5 for older DLC purchases, 2 for more recent DLC) and then redownload.

The older hardware doesn't need to work or even be in your possession to deactivate through PSN. You do it remotely and it just happens automatically if the deactivated hardware is ever connected to PSN again in the future.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 11th, 2013, 7:51 am

I did have lots of other saves that were copy protected, some of this stuff pertaining to online multiplayer. Everything went through fine, except for LBP. Of course, cloud saving through PS Plus would have come in handy, but I didn't have an account at the time. Fortunately, I hadn't made much progress in LBP, so this was a small issue. From my experience, I can attest most saves will transfer fine, but there are a few exceptions.

Return to “Modern Gaming”