New Strider game?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Strider game?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 23rd, 2014, 1:49 pm

I read about a new Strider game in Game Informer, but when I looked on Amazon I could not find it.  Apparently this is a download only title.  Game Informer could have mentioned that.  Has anybody tried this game?  Looks like the reviews are mixed. 

ActRaiser1

New Strider game?

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 23rd, 2014, 3:39 pm

Yeah, I've got it on the Xbox One.  It's good.  It's like a Castlevania/Metroid game with ever expanding layouts based on acquiring new weapons and items.  According Oltobaz it's available on disk form on the PS3 (in Japan).  

Oltobaz1

New Strider game?

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 23rd, 2014, 6:33 pm

Yeah, it's really great, I was lucky enough to be in Japan when it came out, it was so cheap, too. While the game is also available on PS4 as a download, the disc version is only available on PS3. As long as you're into arcade gaming, and I know you are, I don't anticipate any issue. On another note, I thought I'd tell you about another quality Japanese PS3 exclusive, 'Ketsui'. A manic arcade shooter from Cave with plenty of sprites, destruction, mayhem... Need I say more? Decors are a little dull though, which is unusual for a Cave title. A little bit pricier than Strider perhaps, but totally worth getting. Look into it!

ajsmart1

New Strider game?

Postby ajsmart1 » March 23rd, 2014, 8:57 pm

Are all the stages in the same dark industrial setting?  I played the demo and it seemed pretty slick, but I'm hoping it has more varied settings as you progress.  Like how the original starts in a city, then ice mountains, and a jungle, etc.

ajsmart1

New Strider game?

Postby ajsmart1 » March 23rd, 2014, 9:06 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]On another note, I thought I'd tell you about another quality Japanese PS3 exclusive, 'Ketsui'. A manic arcade shooter from Cave with plenty of sprites, destruction, mayhem... Need I say more? Decors are a little dull though, which is unusual for a Cave title. A little bit pricier than Strider perhaps, but totally worth getting. Look into it![/QUOTE]

I've been on a huge shoot 'em up kick lately.  I just added Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari to my collection.  Nice to see the PS3 finally get a Cave title.  How Bizarre the 360 became the console to own for these!

Oltobaz1

New Strider game?

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 24th, 2014, 2:14 am

That's so true, I don't understand why the 360 got so many shmups, and the PS3 so few. Thought I'd mention I've acquired a New Astro City candy cab a few months ago, Cave shooters play and look so great on this! 

ajsmart1

New Strider game?

Postby ajsmart1 » March 24th, 2014, 9:39 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]That's so true, I don't understand why the 360 got so many shmups, and the PS3 so few. Thought I'd mention I've acquired a New Astro City candy cab a few months ago, Cave shooters play and look so great on this! [/QUOTE]

well I'm jealous.  I don't even have a proper arcade stick [frown].  A dedicated cab is on my bucket list. one day.  one day [wink]

Oltobaz1

New Strider game?

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 24th, 2014, 3:18 pm

As a kid, I never envisioned it would someday be possible to own an arcade machine, this one being one of my favorites. It looks like a transformer, and controls like a spaceship. I really hope you'll get your own cab one of these days, totally worth it. As for me, I'm about to get a G Balance in a few months for HD arcade gaming. I kinda wanted a Taito Vewlix, but the G Balance is an even better choice!! 

Oltobaz1

New Strider game?

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 27th, 2014, 5:28 am

In regards to Ketsui, it's only available in Japan, but the game is also available on 360 - I thought it was a shmup PS3 exclusive for once, but, no.

Return to “Modern Gaming”