Halo Collection requires 20 GB day one update?!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 26th, 2014, 10:29 am

On the bright side at least these patches and installations will save wear and tear on disk drives.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 26th, 2014, 12:31 pm

I'm defending this collection because it's a rare practice in the industry to provide a full content package in a remaster, this is literally an example of remastering done right. You aren't losing anything with this collection that were already available in their initial standalone releases, you also get content that was initially forgotten or erased due to time constraints. I do sympathize with those who have limited internet, but the huge achievements list is tailored for a massive Campaign metagame. So if Multiplayer isn't your thing you still have a lot of goals to reach. 343i had spent a lot of time trying to make this mega bundle concept work.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 26th, 2014, 1:56 pm

I've been watching the map videos over on IGN for the 6 remastered Halo 2 maps.  The lead designer on the original Halo 2 maps works over at and/or runs Certain Affinity.  They're the guys doing the remakes.  

It's awesome, these guys know how to build maps.  343 may blow on game play when you look back at Halo 4.  But I'll give Certain Affinity my money any day.

These guys get the risk vs reward on map layouts and fundamentals.  Halo 4 game play centered around the millennial approach of everyone gets a trophy mentality.  

I guess my point is now I'm super stoked for the game as multiplayer with over a 100 maps will be awesome.  As for the concerns about downloading a lot of content, back in the day, you had to do the same thing when new map packs were released.  It would be preferable to have everything available on the disk, but with the quality I saw, I'm fine waiting a bit while it downloads.

One last piece, being able to play Halo 1 maps online will be awesome.  Back on the original Xbox there was a work around where you could make it think you were connecting over a LAN but the lag was terrible.  This will be awesome.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 26th, 2014, 6:42 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]On the bright side at least these patches and installations will save wear and tear on disk drives.[/QUOTE]

Problem is that they're instead wearing out an internal, non user replaceable, hard drive. If I was an Xbox One owner today, the first thing I'd do is add a nice external hard drive and move everything that I could over to it to reduce the workload on the system's built-in moving parts. 

It's why I wish Wii U with its external hard drive support would implement Xbox 360 style optional game installations, allowing me if I so desire to add an external HDD just to eliminate most of the workload off its disc drive (The internal 32 gigs is plenty of storage space for my needs where DLC, saves, and so on are concerned). 

Return to “Modern Gaming”