getting a Kinect,and need some game suggestions

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Burk1

Postby Burk1 » March 11th, 2013, 8:39 pm

I am about to buy a Kinect sensor on ebay,and need to know 3 games to start with. I want one game for my son. He is about to turn 4,and I wondered about kinectimals?,a FUN exercise game for the whole family, and please consider that mom and dad are just starting to get in shape so nothing to crazy.And lastly,a game that is just pure fun while making the most of the motion controls.The critic has only reviewed a handful,so I would appreciate any input.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » March 11th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Dance Central 1 & 2 offer great uses of motion controls that are very fun, and can dub as a lighthearted exercise game.
For a 4 year old, Kinectimals and Disneyland Adventures will do the job.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » March 12th, 2013, 12:30 am

I asked a friend of mine that has a 4 year old (girl) and she likes Once Upon a Monster, Sesame Street TV, Disneyland Adventures, Gunstringer, and Fruit Ninja. Personally, I would get Fruit Ninja just because it is fun flailing around for everyone but especially kids. As far as adults and kids, I think both Kinect Sports are good, especially the mini-games. Also, while my friend did not mention it specifically, I think Kinectimals is good for for parents and kids. I don't have kids and enjoy it quite a bit. I also like Gunstringer so 2 votes for that. Have fun.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 12th, 2013, 1:17 am

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, yeah it's a bit tricky to get the controls to work right, but when you do it's VERY satisfying, plus the story is highly compelling.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 12th, 2013, 6:28 am

Child of Eden! 

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » March 16th, 2013, 10:06 am

OK. I ordered Dance central 2 per your suggestion. There are a lot of dance games. I also got kinect adventures, Kung fu (looks awesome), and Zumba Rush for my workout. I passed on Disneyland adventures after all the bad reviews,but I'll probably get Disney/Pixar adventure for my little one. I will have to rent Child of eden to see if its my cup of tea.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 16th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I haven't actually been keeping up with the Kinect with how horrible it was a year ago. Has it picked up any steam or is it still pretty bad? I'm sure I'll pick one up once the PS4 and 720 come out since it will then be dirt cheap but it would be kind of nice to know what I was getting into. I just remember working at a Hastings and the Kinect just sat there gathering dust.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » March 16th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Re: Rev
The kinect seems to be focusing on what works best. Dancing,workout games are the most popular by far,with kids games a close third. I have been reading a lot of reviews,and watching lots of videos to find out what games are really worth owning. I am amazed that there is not a really good one on one fighting game. Kung fu: high impact looked really unique. Its a side scrolling brawler,and you can even put your head on the character. The controls seemed responsive and it looked fun. I will probably get star wars too,but not a ton of titles I'm craving. I think my son will love it,and I hope it helps to get me in shape,but I keep my expectations reasonable. I'll let you know once everything arrives.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 19th, 2013, 3:00 pm

I'd recommend the Star Wars game as well.  It's actually not bad and a lot of fun to play.  

Also, don't forget Kinect Adventures.  It may have been the pack-in launch game but our extended family had a lot of fun with it.  Oh, if you're looking to get a work out try the Reflex Ridge levels.  With all the jumping you do, you'll work up quite the sweat.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » March 19th, 2013, 5:04 pm

+1 for Kinect Adventures.  My niece (6 years old) and lady friend were addicted to many of the mini-games in this compiliation.  Kinect Sports: Ultimate Edition is a great value as well.

Return to “Modern Gaming”