Just got a New 3DS XL

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rev1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby Rev1 » February 13th, 2015, 6:39 pm

So like the title says, i just picked up a New 3DS XL today from Nintendo. I hate that title, what happens in 5 years when someone asks me the condition of my New 3DS XL and I say "it's a Used New 3DS XL" they're going to give me odd looks...

Anyway, it's pretty nifty. The new control stick feels stiff. I haven't actually tried using it in a game yet but hopefully it works okay. I guess it's going to depend on how sensitive it is. I also transferred all my data from my old 3DS to this one.

One thing that surprised me was that the handheld used a Micro SD card instead of the normal size one, like my old 3DS. I ended up having to do a transfer of data from my old 3DS to my new one. The process took about 20 minutes, so it wasn't too hard. I chose to do the Internet transfer (you have three options- Internet, Wireless, or taking out the cards from your 3DS's and hooking them up to a PC). Considering I only had saved data and a little bit of DLC from FE Awakening it took longer than I thought. I can't imagine how long it would take someone to do a transfer of data when their 3DS was full of games.

The biggest attraction of the handheld is obviously the new 3D features and there is definitely a noticeable upgrade to the 3D effect. I was able to clearly see the 3D from several different angles and as I moved the 3DS around. I also picked up LoZ: Majora's Mask so I will probably be playing that after the next two days of work... I'm excited to see how it looks.

Oh yeah... It doesn't come with an AC adapter because Nintendo is an idiot. Be sure you buy one if you are interested in A.) selling your old 3DS or B.) are brand new buyer of 3DS's. Jerks...

Now off to sell my 3DS.. Probably going to try and sell it on eBay or something. Thankfully, I still have the box, and everything. I hope I at least get $100 for the stupid thing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the review!  I'm planning on picking up one of those.

About the A/C adapter, does the New 3DS XL work with my old adapter (for original 3DS) or do I need to buy a new one??

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Also where did you get the system?  It's like $500 on Amazon!

Rev1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby Rev1 » February 13th, 2015, 9:48 pm

it's that much? I just picked it up at Nebraska Furniture Mart this morning (it's a furniture/electronic/appliance store in kansas) right when they opened. They still had several on the shelf but that was right as they opened... People must be trying to to make some quick cash... It's available off of their website right now... They'll UPS it to you once one comes in stock... I used to work there. There game prices aren't great but they still have them going for $199.99. The website is nfm.com if you're interested.

I also noticed something about the 3D. It follows your eyes. I hadn't really done much research on it but I noticed when I was showing my partner the 3D effects. As we both stared at the screen it would kind of jumble since it was grabbing too many eyes... I had to get out of the way so he could see the 3D unaffected. It's kind of cool but could be annoying for kids or something who are in a crowded area.

Also, old 3DS ac adapters work fine. I'm using my old one. I heard the NDSi also works as well.

Rev1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby Rev1 » February 13th, 2015, 9:53 pm

also, I checked eBay... Damn... the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask special edition is going for stupid amounts of money right now... I should have pre-ordered one and then sold it... Damn... people are insane to pay those prices... One sold for $1000... Another is at like $5000 although I'm pretty sure that one people aren't being serious on. Most are going for $400-500.

DaHeckIzDat1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » February 13th, 2015, 11:43 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]it's that much? I just picked it up at Nebraska Furniture Mart this morning (it's a furniture/electronic/appliance store in kansas) right when they opened. They still had several on the shelf but that was right as they opened... People must be trying to to make some quick cash... It's available off of their website right now... They'll UPS it to you once one comes in stock... I used to work there. There game prices aren't great but they still have them going for $199.99. The website is nfm.com if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just looked on Best Buy's website, and they have it for $199 too.  I think the $500 ones are  Japanese models people were trying to sell before it released in the US.  I really want to pick one up too, for Xenoblade Chronicles if nothing else, but I've got so many other things I want on other platforms I already own that it will probably be a really long time.

JWK1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby JWK1 » February 14th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I already sold my original (ambassador version) 3DS for $125 a month ago in anticipation of the N3DS. It's pretty good considering I paid $80 for it on Craig's list in 2012. I've looked at some physical stores and online. No one has this thing. I don't understand Nintendo. Why reveal that a product is going to be released on a certain date and then under-stock the item? It's not like the 3DS is a struggling console, either. I don't get why Nintendo seems to be testing the waters with this launch. But hey! At least it's great for resellers, so we should all be thankful, right?!?! This is ridiculous.

NintendoPower1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby NintendoPower1 » February 14th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Thanks for the impressions!

I'm considering picking one up later on, maybe after a few months when there's some inevitable retailer deals for them.

I agree the naming scheme is pretty ridiculous. I keep hearing Nintendo's PR how they're moving in a better direction to have a more unified development and streamlining everything, but it takes a giant flow chart to understand which systems can play what games, and with which controllers or peripherals, and what options the games do or don't have. Also the no adapter thing is a ripoff too, it just makes it even more confusing if you're ready to play with what's actually in the box.

The improvements and polish obviously sound there though. Hopefully it's the start of trying to unify more games under one curtain though where all games are more playable without silly attachments or peripherals.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I have to agree that the name is incredibly stupid, and I can only assume Nintendo survives in spite of their marketing.

That said I stopped at Best Buy and Target today and they said they sold out of the systems an hour after they put them on the shelf.  Guess I'll have to try again next month.

Rev1

Just got a New 3DS XL

Postby Rev1 » February 14th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Well on the plus side there isn't a super need for the New 3DS just yet since no real games require it. Even if you ordered one through a store online the wait wouldn't be bad.

Return to “Modern Gaming”