Star Trek the video game.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 1st, 2013, 9:28 am

With the Star Trek reboot in full swing I was overjoyed last year when I heard they were bringing out a new video game based on ST.  I wondered was this going to be the first ST game not to such since Elite force on the PS2?
I looked and thought it looks a bit like Mass Effect 3 which can only be a good thing as that game rocked.  I was feeling the buzz. Then the game came out.
What was funny was the game came out and everyone said that it was like doggy doo doos. Hey I am a huge ST fan.  Also I was intrigued it featured the gorn from ST the original series.  Okay it has loads of bugs but bugs get fixed in updates! 
Then I started reading the reviews on Amazon.  Loads of people liked the game.  So it was really cheap and I decided to take the plunge.
Why oh why did I buy this monstrosity of a game?  First thing up, they have not fixed any of the bugs.  It is a cover co op shooter and a really poor tomb raider game with a bit of space shooting as well.  It is a jack of all trades and a master of none.
The cover shooter part. 
It tries to be Mass effect and fails miserably as it is a co op game where you partner Spock does nothing to attack the enemies.  Also he keeps getting injured and when this happens if you heal him you die so ending the game.  Also there were times when I was down and Spock ran over to help but when he got to me he ran on the spot but did not help me or kill the enemy.  These parts will have you screaming at the screen or at least that is to say I was screaming at the screen.  Though I can see the funny side of it now.  Spock looks ridiculous running around.  Also he never stays beside you and sometimes is nowhere to be seen.  There are loads of times you need him to help you open a door but you just have to wait for him to come along.
Tomb raider part.
Do you like leaps of faith?  Well I hope so as there are a lot of them in it.  Apart from that it is a fairly average attempt at a tomb raider clone.
Space shooter section.
Now this is where any Star Trek game should shine!  Blast the nasties! Yeah make them pay! Yeah!  Well it was quite good fun and seems to be a panzer dragoon clone.  Then you have to guide a photon torpedo.  I never knew in the 23rd century they would have wire guided PTs.  This section is ludicrous.  Also to make it harder it switches control to south paw.  After 15 attempts I did it.  To be greeted with an fmv of the Enterprise raining photon torpedoes down on the enemy which made no sense at all.
This game is a mismatch of ideas.  None of which have come fully to fruition.  Really they needed to make a lot more of an effort.  Though if you are like me and love Star Trek and want to take the plunge.  I suggest no more that 5 bucks for it.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 1st, 2013, 1:32 pm

I watched Angry Joe's review for it and he said pretty much the same thing, so I had no real urge to pick it up. 

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » October 1st, 2013, 2:14 pm

This game is so bad that J.J. Abrams thinks it may have hurt the
box-office for the last Star Trek movie. He was originally involved
in the making of the game, but left when he realized how bad things
were becoming:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/j-j-abrams-gripes-about-star-trek-video-game-a-big-disappointment-to-me/

I watched the Two Best Friends Play video of it and it looked like it stunk
on ice, although the glitches they were getting out of the game were hilarious.

Not to be picky, but this long and through post should probably be in the
Now Playing section

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 2nd, 2013, 8:51 am

[QUOTE=velcrozombie]This game is so bad that J.J. Abrams thinks it may have hurt the
box-office for the last Star Trek movie. He was originally involved
in the making of the game, but left when he realized how bad things
were becoming:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/j-j-abrams-gripes-about-star-trek-video-game-a-big-disappointment-to-me/

I watched the Two Best Friends Play video of it and it looked like it stunk
on ice, although the glitches they were getting out of the game were hilarious.

Not to be picky, but this long and through post should probably be in the
Now Playing section[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply.  I would have put it in the now playing section but I have given up on it.  Yeah it is that bad.  I am now playing Venetica.
Oh I thought the last Star Trek movie into darkness was pretty lame.  I think the thing that hurt that movie was the poor plot.  It did not follow its own logic.  I cannot say more as there might be some people who have not watched it and I do not want to spoil it for them.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 2nd, 2013, 1:18 pm

Personally I loved Into Darkness as did my mom(who grew up watching the original series), the plot worked just fine for me and I never felt like it wasn't following it's own logic.

I don't think the game did much to hurt the box-office though, as I barely saw any promotion for the game and I don't think people will avoid a film just because has a bad video game adaption, heck I didn't even know it was out until I checked the Angry Joe website and saw the review up.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 3rd, 2013, 9:21 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Personally I loved Into Darkness as did my mom(who grew up watching the original series), the plot worked just fine for me and I never felt like it wasn't following it's own logic.

[/QUOTE]
SPOILER ALERT
Okay as a puzzler try this question. At a certain part of the movie. The Enterprise engines are no longer working.  They need to go another ship to one of the members of the crew who may have been kidnapped or been a stowaway.  So they are orbiting the moon or they are very close to it.  So logic dictates that the nearest gravity body is the moon.  Also they are 240 000 km from earth.  So how do they get caught in the gravitational field of earth?  How come the Apollo moon missions were able to orbit the moon in the 20th Century but in the 23rd Century ships are not? 
Kirk can speak to Scotty 500 light years away. 
I watched the original series as it was aired all those years ago.  Recently I re watched it in its HD form.

Spoilers over.

Also in the the antagonists are the gorn but they have been restyled.  Now they look like the dinosoids from Turok.  I do hope that Turok appears at some point to save the day.  Though that seems to be a furlong hope.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 3rd, 2013, 1:23 pm

Astrosmasher-Well science was never my best subject so to be quite honest I almost never notice stuff like that in movies, I can see why it would bother others, but i'm not one of them.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 3rd, 2013, 4:30 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Astrosmasher-Well science was never my best subject so to be quite honest I almost never notice stuff like that in movies, I can see why it would bother others, but i'm not one of them.

[/QUOTE]
K glad you enjoyed it. 

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » October 3rd, 2013, 10:43 pm

I Love Star Trek One & the Next Generation. I always assumed the games were all subpar.  

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 4th, 2013, 2:37 am

Irenicus-Have you checked out either of the Genesis Star Trek games?  I remember them being pretty good.

Return to “Modern Gaming”