Amazon fire TV launches

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Astrosmasher1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm

Not just an android box but also a games system.  Yeah three cheers for yet another Android console.  http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/amazon-firetv-is-a-streaming-set-top-box-and-game-console

This is so thrilling...

Wallyworld1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 2nd, 2014, 6:19 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Not just an android box but also a games system.  Yeah three cheers for yet another Android console.  http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/amazon-firetv-is-a-streaming-set-top-box-and-game-console

This is so thrilling...[/QUOTE]

Have the other Android consoles seen much success?? Why would Amazon toss there hat into the ring with those bunch of losers?

Segatarious1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Segatarious1 » April 2nd, 2014, 6:44 pm

Looks like a winner to me. I think the only thing that can slow it down is if these streaming services out run their bandwith and get cost prohibitive. The controller looks half crappy, but that is to be expected from these amateurs.

I think this is the future. Nintendo should figure this out, and in a hurry.

Astrosmasher1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 2nd, 2014, 7:25 pm

I think it is going to be a big seller.  The multi media applications are all the normal ones but here is the big one.  You can have Neflix or Prime.  It is not attached just to amazon. Plus it is on a hundred bucks same price as Ouya. 
The games are going to be the million sellers which have not appeared Nintendo.  You know Minecraft which has currently sold 33 million copies.  The walking dead series from Tell tale which are simply superb but probably have little replayability.

Where it has a problem is that it is only has 2 gig of onboard ram.  Hey wait a minute wait a minute the mighty Wii U only has two gig on board ram.  The onboard ram for the ps4 is 8 gig.  As does the mighty Xbone. 

scotland171

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby scotland171 » April 2nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

This is pretty dismissive from the retro gaming crowd.  We have threads on greatest RPGs, which only need 8 bit graphics in 480i for us to wax philosophic about them, but oh no, the paltry specs of some quad core HD gaming machine are just too far beneath us.      

Fine, you don't like the mobile games you have tried.  Okay, play the games you like, and you can certainly say those games don't float your boat.  We game for different reasons, so I get that.  Still, recognize that just as some gamers want RPGs and other FPSs, some gamers like mobile games.  Android evolves, and the processing power of mobile evolves, the games on those Android platforms will diversify.  Hey, maybe as consoles converge to more Call of Duty type of games, maybe the diversity on mobile platforms will be greater. In other words, its where innovation will occur.  Heaven forbid we have any of that innovation happening in gaming. 

It will be another emulation platform, and maybe unlike Ouya they say they are going for an open ecosystem, which might be open access to the Google Playstore.  Maybe the controller will not be great, but isn't it premature (or immature) to dismiss even that out of hand.  What else don't you like, that the controller is black, or that that Amazon seems to be branding the name 'fire' for its tech line.

Why would this do better than, say Ouya?  Its a Roku box for Netflix and Youtube, so no matter how it does in games, it will do this. Its well advertised - go to Amazon, see the ad. That's powerful advertising. Its going to have a smooth gateway to the Amazon Marketplace, and Amazon will find ways to monetize that easy access.  It will have Amazon Prime streaming content, which the Apple TV does not have.  It will have voice search and predictive recommendations - maybe garbage, but sound innovative, don't they? Oh, that's right, you don't like innovation, you just want same old same old.  Here is some same old then, Amazon pricing this thing at $100, about what an Apple TV costs.  For that $100 the games are just gravy - its primarily Amazon's version of Apple TV.  Even so, some of those games have good IPs, like Walking Dead and Minecraft.  Its being pitched for parents - not gamers, not the young and tech savvy but as a plug and play streaming device for mom and dad and their wallets.  This may even be grandma and grandpa's only online device for them, and their wallets.  Amazon can sell Android apps through the Amazon marketplace, which will include useful customer reviews and recommendations and maybe a better user interface than Google.  

Game on what you like, but Amazon plays a long game for big money.  We'll see how this plays to the masses, and their wallets.    

HardcoreSadism1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 2nd, 2014, 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Looks like a winner to me. I think the only thing that can slow it down is if these streaming services out run their bandwith and get cost prohibitive. The controller looks half crappy, but that is to be expected from these amateurs.
[/QUOTE]

What quota spurred you to call them "amateurs"?

I like the controllers- they take a note from Xbox One and use it effectively.

Segatarious1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Segatarious1 » April 2nd, 2014, 9:38 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism][QUOTE=Segatarious]Looks like a winner to me. I think the only thing that can slow it down is if these streaming services out run their bandwith and get cost prohibitive. The controller looks half crappy, but that is to be expected from these amateurs.
[/QUOTE]

What quota spurred you to call them "amateurs"?

I like the controllers- they take a note from Xbox One and use it effectively.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has no experience making controllers and it is a hard thing  to do well.

Every time you see 'one of these' you expect it to have a half baked looking controller.

It might play fine, it just looks a little cheap, imho.

ZetaX1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby ZetaX1 » April 2nd, 2014, 10:13 pm

I can see it appealing to the Roku/Apple TV crowd, the Ouya crowd, and (because of the Amazon name) folks who might not have known much about those other devices.

It'll be interesting to see how this works-out for them.

LS6501

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby LS6501 » April 2nd, 2014, 10:20 pm

I can see this doing alright, though I don't think Microsoft or Sony have much to fear for a while.  
It looks to me like an Ouya-type device but with Amazon's infrastructure and marketing behind it.
I could see buying one, but I think $140 for system with controller is a a bit much.

Wallyworld1

Amazon fire TV launches

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 2nd, 2014, 11:57 pm

[QUOTE=LS650]I can see this doing alright, though I don't think Microsoft or Sony have much to fear for a while.  
It looks to me like an Ouya-type device but with Amazon's infrastructure and marketing behind it.
I could see buying one, but I think $140 for system with controller is a a bit much.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget you will also want an Amazon Prime membership to get the most out of this thing which has a $99 price tag per/year.

So for $240 you get a decent little game machine. But my problem with that is I bought my Wii U brand new with New Super Mario World and Luigi game for $255. Wii U is a much better gaming machine with much better games. Sorry (not really) if I'm not overly impressed with this set top box.

Return to “Modern Gaming”