New Xbox: Xbox One

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am

I won't buy a console if it "ever" requires internet service. For me there isn't much difference between "always-on" & a "one-time activation process". Either way it looks like DRM to me and no actual ownership of my purchase.

Forget about Xbox One. I hope the PS4 doesn't require "registration of games" or internet service. If so then I guess I'll go out and get the WiiU sooner than later.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:39 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=videogamecritic]I think Microsoft has miscalculated badly.  If these Slashdot comments are any indication, there will be a major backlash.

I would beware of articles from CNN, Wired, and the major news sites.  They tend to buy into whatever BS the marketers feed them.

Microsoft has had a nice run, but I think they are about take a fall.  Frankly I see no compelling reason to purchase this hideous beast.

[/QUOTE]

I personally will not be buying the console until/unless Microsoft backtracks on requiring an online connection and not allowing used game purchases. I hope fellow gamers will do the same.[/QUOTE]

amen

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:45 am

Yeah screw this, I'm gonna probably find the next Halo on Playstation 4 anyhow.... Who'd go along with an order of operations like

STEP 1: Buy used game
STEP 2: Key? 
STEP 3: Different System
STEP 4: Repeat step two and three repeatedly until results

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » May 22nd, 2013, 2:54 am

On the gaming side, Microsoft is seemingly attempting to make a console version of Steam; in honesty, you can see the build-up to this with the last years of the 360's life. Games like Motocross Madness coming out over Live, whereas once it would have been a physical copy.

Steam was reviled at first, but has ultimately become accepted and popular.

As for used games; certainly it will be a huge blow for collectors (I am a collector myself and I wager most posters on this forum are). But ignoring that, I think many people are ignoring the 'trade' part. It will be interesting if you, say, purchase a game for £40.00 and can trade it back later for say £30.00. Then used games cost £30-40 to unlock.

If Nintendo took a risk last gen with the Wii, MS are the ones taking the risk this time. We shall see how MS do. I don’t think MS communicated things very well at the reveal; there are still far far too many unanswered questions at the moment to gauge things.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » May 22nd, 2013, 5:56 am

What I do not like about those new console presentations (the Xbox One as well as the PS4) is that games don't seem to be the main focus anymore. It's all about 'social sharing', 'connecting' and other stuff I don't care about... a game console should all be about GAMES, or is it just me? Also the lack of original new titles (I'm tired of another FIFA, Assassin's Creed, CoD) is concerning.

Sony's and Microsoft's presentations made me appreciate the Wii U a little more. The lack of good and original titles for Nintendo's console is concerning too, but a least Nintendo tries something a little differently.

How do you guys feel about it? (And can someone also tell me why the third Xbox is called Xbox ONE?)

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 22nd, 2013, 6:45 am

Xbox One??? I think that might be an even more confusing name than the Wii U, considering that it will be the 3rd Xbox! What was wrong with calling it the Xbox 720?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 22nd, 2013, 7:54 am

This new system will need to be online at least once every 24 hours, even if you just want to play offline. Activation codes will be implemented to combat the used games market, and it seems even sharing a game with a friend will be made more difficult this way, as, from what I understand, games will be linked to user profiles, all kinds of codes, all kinds of issues. Where's the entertainment in that? As for the name, it doesn't even make sense. I'm sure there will be some terrific looking games of course, then again, the PS4 will also deliver. As long as Sony doesn't take the same stupid steps it seems Microsoft just did, they got a shot at being number 1 again. Plenty of opportunities for Sony and Nintendo next gen! As for the XBox 1, count me out.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 22nd, 2013, 8:30 am

I can't help thinking back to when I was a schoolboy and I would lend and be lent games with my friends.
Microsoft are going to kill that as well with this move.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 22nd, 2013, 8:43 am

The only positive out of all of this stuff is that all games can be installed and played directly from the hard drive without requiring the disk in the drive.

I got to admit that's incredibly appealing to be able to quickly swap between multiple games at a moment's notice.  I do that on the Wii U with NSMBU, Sega's All Stars Racing Transformed, and Super Metroid.  The downside being I don't have physical copies of the games.

I don't feel bad about Gamestop at all but this used game approach of charging full price is going to kill Gamefly.  

Looks like the PS4 may be my next system.  Unless, of course, they come out with Crimson Skies 2.  But I'm not holding my breath.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 22nd, 2013, 9:07 am

So...if you don't have a broadband internet connection, you won't even be able to use this thing?  There are a hell of a lot of people who live in areas without cable/high-speed internet.  Microsoft doesn't want to sell them Xboxes?  There has to be more to this...

It's kind of a perverse notion, but what if they made the folks without broadband phone-in a code and receive an unlock code (over the phone) that they had to enter to play their game?  That would be hilarious and horrible.

Unless Sony is secretly planning something similar, the PS4 is sounding better and better.

Return to “Modern Gaming”