New Xbox: Xbox One

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » May 21st, 2013, 6:37 pm

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/00065779-xbox-one-ce-qu-il-faut-savoir.htm

According to JeuxVideo.com, the largest videogame website in France. The New Xbox will be called Xbox One. 

Most of the article describe the event in which the system was presented, but in the technical side they talked about the following stuff

First, the system want to do like the PS4, by aiming social feature and multimedia feature with the gaming experience. Secondly, it is said in the article that Xbox and Xbox 360 WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE PHYSICALLY (they dont specify if there will be downloadable Xbox or X360 games). Third, its say that internet connection is recommended but not requried to use the system. 

The most important thing (at least to me as a collector) is if we can play used game or not. According to the article, the games will require to be installed in the HDD. The problem, however, is that if you want to install a game from the same disc on another system, Microsoft will charge you a fee (not specified yet). Except that, the article said Microsoft will have a ''plan'' for the used market (which is not explained unfortunatly) 

La Xbox One in détails

• - 8 Heart Core Processor
  • - 8 Go RAM
  • - HD 500 Go
  • - Blu-ray CD
  • - 2 ports HDMI
  • - 2 ports USB 3.0
  • - Connexion wifi
  • - Controller with integrated Batteries
  • - Kinect with 1080ip support
Im kind of scared of what ''plan'' they want to do to the used market. What are your thoughts?

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2013/00065781-xbox-one-kinect-est-obligatoire.htm

E
DIT: Looks like Kinect will be REQUIRED TO BE PLUGGED ON THE SYSTEM to just power on and use the Xbox One, even if what you want to do has nothing to do with Kinect!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 21st, 2013, 7:29 pm

I think the Kinect always being plugged in is a non-starter.  It's used for voice activation and motion control throughout the dashboard.  I'm fine with that.

I was pretty underwhelmed.  When you think back to everything else that was in development and research it seems like they're baby stepping it with a ho-hum center of your living room console.  I get that that's interesting and all but I was hoping for something more.  Long term it helps MS, but no one is going to buy it to have it change the channel to HBO.

The console looks like it would be installed by Comcast.  From a design perspective, I'm not impressed.  But if they can avoid it bricking and be an "always on" console I'll live with an ugly rectangle.

With no real announcement on the gaming front other than Remedy I'm taking a look and see approach for E3.

The biggest surprise was the name.  No one guessed the name right.  I will say they kept that under lock and key incredibly well.

The only thing that will make it sell like butter will be U2 singing One pimping One.  

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » May 21st, 2013, 7:35 pm

Brave new world indeed.  As Segatarious already noted at http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-is-called-xbox-one-509069410 you can read all about it. Restrictions toward rentals, used games, no backwards compatibility, etc.  For collectors its pretty much the end of the line, with no backwards compatibility, and it likely then that games you 'buy' will be yours for the life of the servers only, in other words, you rent them. 

We'll see how it really shapes up as details become clear, Gamestop comes into the discussion, and if, finally, a company has produced the holy grail - the video game console that is the nerve center of your entertainment world.   We've been there before...but this is Microsoft and this looks like a strong business model for their developers to applaud.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2013, 8:26 pm

I think Microsoft has miscalculated badly.  If these Slashdot comments are any indication, there will be a major backlash.

I would beware of articles from CNN, Wired, and the major news sites.  They tend to buy into whatever BS the marketers feed them.

Microsoft has had a nice run, but I think they are about take a fall.  Frankly I see no compelling reason to purchase this hideous beast.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » May 21st, 2013, 8:38 pm

I guess the hackers community will manage to find a way to play those game and be able to share it with friend just like they did with PC games

a1

Postby a1 » May 21st, 2013, 9:52 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I think Microsoft has miscalculated badly.  If these Slashdot comments are any indication, there will be a major backlash.

I would beware of articles from CNN, Wired, and the major news sites.  They tend to buy into whatever BS the marketers feed them.

Microsoft has had a nice run, but I think they are about take a fall.  Frankly I see no compelling reason to purchase this hideous beast.

[/QUOTE]

I personally will not be buying the console until/unless Microsoft backtracks on requiring an online connection and not allowing used game purchases. I hope fellow gamers will do the same.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 21st, 2013, 10:05 pm

I don't think Microsoft are going to take a "fall", I can't see them doing any worse then Sony at least, the fact that we don't even know what the PS4 looks like yet is troubling on their front. 

I think Microsoft will end up backtracking on the online connection and no used games issue, if they don't, then I wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop and other brick and mortar stores will outright refuse to sell the system, which would put a pretty big dent in their sales.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » May 21st, 2013, 10:32 pm

Guess the WiiU has an opening to make a comeback...

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 21st, 2013, 11:53 pm

Hopefully continued PS3/Xbox 360 support and the Wii U will keep me satisfied for future console gaming. I'm not buying a console and building a game library if they're going to go poof the second they go out of style. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”