Nintendo cut's to sales projection for 3DS and Wii U.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 21st, 2014, 1:13 pm

Steer-So you're saying your "standards" are better then others? [confused]

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » January 21st, 2014, 4:26 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Steer-So you're saying your "standards" are better then others? [confused]

[/QUOTE]

No.

I am saying - Let us not praise videogames for high marks in stories when they can not even come close to reaching even an average quality of story for any other medium. No other medium pays any attention to videogames at all, it is truly the bottom of the barrel.

I am oh so tired of games being hyped for their story, and the story is always the same.

To me, it says - we have no where else to go, so lets throw money at something we do not do well and make it the selling point of our game.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 21st, 2014, 6:18 pm

Steer- Wow, your post is completely illogical. So you're saying it's an absolute FACT that video game's CANNOT have better stories then any other medium?  That is by the most asinine thing you've ever said on this forum. 

Games like the Mass Effect series have a FAR better story then most Hollywood films or any other medium, if you ask me most books and films story quality is average compared to the stories of some games, so I WILL continue to praise video games like Fallout 3 to the high heavens for their stories, you don't agree that's fine, but don't pretend like your opinion is the only one that's correct.

Saying nonsense like "the story is always the same" is exactly why people on here don't take you seriously.  It is NOT always the same.

I'm oh so tired of you speaking opinions like they're cold hard facts.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 21st, 2014, 6:56 pm

Sega I would love you to play the original Bioshock, great original story and setting plus the tale unfurls through audio diaries not the cut scenes you do not like. It can be done but I do understand your point a lot of games use a common/used story arc. But there are examples out there.

I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy 1-5 on my iphone, would it be so bad if Nintendo did a similar thing with its early Zelda games ? RPG/Adventure games work well on the platform as they don't require 'twitch' response. If Nintendo updates the original 8-bit and 16-bit Zelda's like Square have done with Final Fantasy they would make a fortune, I think they could get away with charging £5 for each game and reach a massive audience in the process.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 21st, 2014, 7:42 pm

@darkrage6

C'mon, man. I know you want to defend the storytelling potential of video
games, but I don't know why you have to argue with Segatarious like this.
I don't agree with him on his stance (although I can understand and respect
his point-of-view), but you're making the mistake of taking his word as if he's
trying to declare some universal truth. Sometimes he writes in such a way that
it seems like he's speaking for everyone, but he's also said repeatedly that it's
only his opinion. Just let it go.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother typing this, but I get so, so tired of seeing this
same argument over and over.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 21st, 2014, 8:58 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

if you ask me most books and films story quality is average compared to the stories of some games

[/QUOTE]

I agree with much of what you said, but come on now. Most books stories are average compared to some games? I'm not even sure how that could mean anything. Most books compared to SOME games? Yeah, Goosebumps isn't that great compared to Mass Effect. Compared to a small handful of the best game stories, maybe some average books compare about even. Now, let's compare most games to SOME books. Macbeth. Books for the win. Over every game ever made. About one minute in. Don't believe me? Do yourself a favour and go re-read Macbeth (a good copy with notes on the opposite pages is a good idea).

When it comes to story telling there are books then there is everything else. Everything else < books. By far.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 21st, 2014, 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=darkrage6]

if you ask me most books and films story quality is average compared to the stories of some games

[/QUOTE] I agree with much of what you said, but come on now. Most books stories are average compared to some games? I'm not even sure how that could mean anything. Most books compared to SOME games? Yeah, Goosebumps isn't that great compared to Mass Effect. Compared to a small handful of the best game stories, maybe some average books compare about even. Now, let's compare most games to SOME books. Macbeth. Books for the win. Over every game ever made. About one minute in. Don't believe me? Do yourself a favour and go re-read Macbeth (a good copy with notes on the opposite pages is a good idea). When it comes to story telling there are books then there is everything else. Everything else < books. By far. [/QUOTE]

Agreed for the most part.  But Macbeth is a play, and seeing it in that intended medium tells the story in a way that was intended -- the play wasn't meant to be read primarily.  A live drama has certain strengths over straight literature, as well as certain weaknesses.  The individual who intends to write a play vs. literature exploits those strengths and avoids those weaknesses.

What games have in the storytelling department is interaction, choice, and the ability to branch a story to different paths.  This is something on which few books and even fewer plays have ever been able to capitalize.  Sure there are some "choose your own path" books, and a few plays that let audience votes determine the outcome, but video games have the best ability between the three of presenting variable outcomes.  And because these outcomes are still all restricted to the desire of the artist(s) presenting them in this medium, they can all present the same basic set of values without actually resembling each other.

I don't think we've fully tapped that potential yet.  But there have been games that have shown where the medium can (and I believe eventually will) go, a direction that books and dramas both aren't really equipped to exploit.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 21st, 2014, 11:27 pm

I meant the stories of some games made all the novels that I myself have read seem average, though to be fair I generally don't read that many novels, I mostly read nonfiction books like autobiographies and the like, i've never read Macbeth and I don't have any desire to do so whatsoever, classic literature just isn't really my thing.

Steer may say it's only his opinion, but he worded his post in a passive-aggresive and condescending way that basically said "my opinion is the only one that matters", or at least that's the impression I got.

Mozart- Thank you for understanding my point, i'm not saying movies and books can't have great stories, but with the level of interactivity present in some games like Mass Effect where YOU decide the outcome gives the story a bigger impact then any other form of medium has.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » January 22nd, 2014, 1:12 am

I know darkrage6, don't you hate that. *cough* Xbox one thoughts has to rush to the rescue of brand defense *cough*

Return to “Modern Gaming”