The Mario Kart 8 Friends List Thread!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 11th, 2014, 5:35 pm

LOL, I hadn't seen the Luigi death stare. Damn... He's done with playing second fiddle to Mario. Everyone better watch out.

As for the tournament. I've got a lot of extra work this week so I'm not going to be able to play. Hopefully we do another one.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 11th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Well, that didn't go so well...for me!

Guess I need to step it up and learn some of the tracks better.

That was fun though. Thanks to all who participated.

- Mark

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 11th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Good Games.

That was a lot of fun.  Thanks for setting it up.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 12th, 2014, 5:45 am

That was real annoying. I was first person there, but somehow that ended up with me missing almost every race (because I logged in first maybe). I logged out and checked after awhile and it said everyone was in the game (despite it saying for 15 minutes it was waiting for everyone else to join). Then in the end I only got a couple races with ptdebate, which is like me entering a chess tournament with Deep Blue. [smile]

Ah well, maybe next time. The interface does need some work though. Joining random games works a lot better than this (as it let's you spectate while you wait, which let's you know who is on, how long to wait, and that you aren't waiting for nothing).

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 12th, 2014, 9:55 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]That was real annoying. I was first person there, but somehow that ended up with me missing almost every race (because I logged in first maybe). I logged out and checked after awhile and it said everyone was in the game (despite it saying for 15 minutes it was waiting for everyone else to join). Then in the end I only got a couple races with ptdebate, which is like me entering a chess tournament with Deep Blue. [smile] Ah well, maybe next time. The interface does need some work though. Joining random games works a lot better than this (as it let's you spectate while you wait, which let's you know who is on, how long to wait, and that you aren't waiting for nothing). [/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Me, Mark and Actraiser were raced about 4 times before the tourney started, and the 8 'official' tracks after that. Then more people joined, and PT was in about 1/2 way through. I think you showed up about the 6th race in?

Then the tourney ended, and only Act Raiser showed back up afterwards, so we played one game and quit.....

I was thinking if we get everyone in at the start 12 races would be pretty nice number, 1/2 hour + of game play. We could do teams again too, but we better pre pick them....probably simpler to go no teams.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 12th, 2014, 12:27 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]We could do teams again too, but we better pre pick them....probably simpler to go no teams.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't really know what the team thing was about, that the team totals would be added up...  Didn't matter, it was still fun.

Is there any other way to communicate with each other besides the pre-defined text snippets?  Seems like an organized group would have more communication options than the random regional/worldwide match-ups.  I guess there's messaging from your friends list or Miiverse, though I don't know if you can do that when in the game.

Still figuring-out this online thing... [smile]

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 12th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Has anyone tried a headset with Mario Kart?

Best Buy had Wii U specific ones on sale for $5 last Friday.  I might pick one up.  For that price even if they don't work for the game it's not that big a deal.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 12th, 2014, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Has anyone tried a headset with Mario Kart?

Best Buy had Wii U specific ones on sale for $5 last Friday.  I might pick one up.  For that price even if they don't work for the game it's not that big a deal.[/QUOTE]

I was wearing the the $5 headphones in question last night, playing off of the gamepad because the rest of the family were watching something on the big screen.

They work fine, fairly comfortable, and block-out a fair bit of outside sounds.  For a fiver, they're not bad.  The microphone...I have no idea if it works.  Haven't tried any sort of voice or video chat on the Wii U that would use it.  I also didn't see any sort of voice chat option during the match last night, must not be part of Mario Kart.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 12th, 2014, 3:23 pm

I found this.

http://nintendonews.com/2014/04/mario-kart-8-voice-chat-details/

According to this link, you don't need a headset when you're in the lobby.  The game will use the mike on the controller.  In the game I guess that's when the headset is required.

Although, it's probably better if you guys didn't hear my frustration at getting shelled right before the finish line...

All in good fun.  [smile]

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 12th, 2014, 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I found this.

http://nintendonews.com/2014/04/mario-kart-8-voice-chat-details/

According to this link, you don't need a headset when you're in the lobby.  The game will use the mike on the controller.  In the game I guess that's when the headset is required.

Although, it's probably better if you guys didn't hear my frustration at getting shelled right before the finish line...

All in good fun.  [smile][/QUOTE]
You can voice chat only in the lobby (with or without a headset) and never, ever during a race no matter what your setup.

Return to “Modern Gaming”