Best Halo game?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Best Halo game?

Postby ptdebate1 » April 2nd, 2015, 1:01 pm

As I'm playing through the Master Chief Collection, I thought I'd ask you all which Halo you think is the best. As of now, The Collection includes 1-4 and Spartan Ops--as well as multiplayer--and will add on ODST and Reach at a later date.

Halo 3 is the only campaign I'd never played before, and I'm in the middle of it right now. There's a lot more telegraphing of mission objectives and the story is a lot easier to pay attention to. The sound balance seems to be better as now I can finally hear communications intelligibly over the din of combat.

Halo 2 is the one I played the most when it came out. The redone visuals are very high in quality--especially the amazing-looking cinematics. The game remains exactly the same though.

I'd have to say that 2 is probably still my favorite (perhaps due to nostalgia?). One complaint I have about the series in general is that how little the mechanics and visuals change from one entry to the next. I almost prefer the original visuals in a way because when they spruced up the texture detail, they took away some of the atmosphere. Those abstract, low-res environments and models actually make the Flood seem creepier.

Astrosmasher1

Best Halo game?

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 2nd, 2015, 5:35 pm

Halo Combat Evolved is my fave. It was so original when it came out. It is still a lot of fun now. I think that it is a SF game rather than a COD type of game is wheat I liked.  I liked how it introduced a third set of characters to the mix. Most war games involved two sides and this three sides was revolutionary, well at the time. 

Two was my least favourite.  Though funnily enough I think it works best on MCC as it is the one that needed a remake the most.

HardcoreSadism1

Best Halo game?

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 2nd, 2015, 7:01 pm

Multiplayer: Halo Combat Evolved
Campaign: Halo 2
Content Creation: Halo Reach
Online Co-Op: Halo 3
Best Mood: Halo 3 - ODST (hopefully Halo 5 can live up to the dark, dredging mood of ODST)

a1

Best Halo game?

Postby a1 » April 3rd, 2015, 5:07 pm

Favorite campaign:
Halo (has some clear faults in retrospect but it's the best in my mind, even if not technically so)
Halo 4 (diehards seem to hate on it but I think it was the most solid campaign since the original)
Halo 3 (good final level but not too memorable to me)
Halo 2 (horrible ending and playing ad the Arbiter stunk)
Halo Reach (not bad gameplay but too weird not being the master chief)

Favorite multiplayer:
Halo 2
Halo
Halo Reach
Halo 4
Halo 3

I wasted so many hours of my youth playing Halo split screen and Halo 2 online. Then I wasted quite a few hours of adult life playing 3 and up. Haha.

Rev1

Best Halo game?

Postby Rev1 » April 3rd, 2015, 6:33 pm

I haven't played all the Halo games but I have found memories of the first Halo. My dad and I used to play it a lot when I was in high school. The campaign was a lot of fun to play together. Hell, I think I played through the campaign mode like 10 times with different people. My favorite part was shooting the captain on the 10th stage, having the room seal up, and seeing who could survive longest... I swear we shot that guy like 40 times.

Atarifever1

Best Halo game?

Postby Atarifever1 » April 3rd, 2015, 10:14 pm

ODST is my favourite single player campaign.  It's the one time my "I don't want to be the main guy" game got made.  I get sick of games making me the one-and-true hero of the universe for all time, and the perspective in that game is a little more "guy(s) in a larger conflict"." I also like that you feel a little less over-powered than Master Chief, so it feels like the scary ugly space monsters you fight are really scary ugly space monsters, which they would be for the 99.99999999999% of people who are not Spartans.

They're all incredible in multiplayer couch co-op.  The best mode in anything ever made is Firefight in Halo games.  

Return to “Modern Gaming”