Microtransactions in Xbox One games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 21st, 2013, 1:32 pm

I was reading through reviews of new Xbox One launch titles, and one thing I found remarkable is that many of them support microtransactions - at least in the reviews of Forza 5, Ryse and Crimson Dragon it is noted that in-game microtransactions are possible. It came as I suprise for me - I always thought in-game/in-app purchases were solely suited for free mobile games and I didn't link it to console gaming. I find it a little strange for a full retail title to support such microtransactions, but maybe that's the old-fashioned gamer in me talking? What do you think?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 21st, 2013, 2:57 pm

Personally for me, I'll never support this.  I don't like seeing it and I'm hoping it goes over like fox in a hen house.  

I don't even really like paying for DLC.  In fact, I refuse to buy games at the time of their release if I have a pretty good feeling that an eventual "GAME of the YEAR" or "COMPLETE" edition is going to come down the road.  Then I can pick those up on the cheap and get all the extra content without having to pay a premium for it.  

I'm done supporting this type of stuff.  If I was rich and had money to burn I wouldn't care.  The way the economy is, I think it's terrible that companies try to nickel and dime their fan base with this stuff.  

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 21st, 2013, 3:18 pm

This practice isn't really new, Microtransations have been getting common over the past few years(I believe WOW was the first game to use them), the video game based on the movie "Real Steel" pratically begged you to buy armor parts using real money, as it was painful trying to get through a match otherwise.  Some games like Dead Space 3 and Tomb Raider let you use money in place of in-game currency to buy items. 

I'm OK paying for DLC as long as it's not stuff that's already on the disc.

I can't say i'm a fan of this practice, but at the same time I can understand why companies want to do it, the economy isn't going to stop people from buying a super-powerful item in Diablo III to gain a huge advantage and they know it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2013, 5:56 pm

The DLC concept has been abused enough, but microtransactions takes things to the next level.  They are literally nickeling and diming players for items that belong in the original game.  Do not support this shady business practice!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 21st, 2013, 6:40 pm

Yeah I can't support microtransactions. It is just the next big wave of DLC where companies try to bleed every last bit of money right out of you. Most of the content is stuff that gamers used to get for free when they bought the game (harder difficulty, new clothing, etc).

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]The DLC concept has been abused enough, but microtransactions takes things to the next level.  They are literally nickeling and diming players for items that belong in the original game.  Do not support this shady business practice![/QUOTE]

Wow! You should be enjoying Killer Instinct then [smile]

From Wikia on Killer Instinct Xbox One: Instead of being a free-to-play game, Killer Instinct will follow a specific pricing strategy, such as being able to purchase fighters individually or all together in one pack.
A free demo will also be available on the launch day, featuring Jago as the only playable character.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 22nd, 2013, 9:49 am

Wait, maybe I was wrong about Killer Instinct... the game is playable for free with one character as a demo, others can be unlocked. Hmm, that does sound a better, however I'm still not a fan of acquired not-fully finished/accessible games.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 22nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

The only microtransactions I will support are those in free games, and only there if I feel they don't upset game balance. 

So, in Team Fortress 2 for example, I have never felt uncompetitive because I don't buy weapons, because Valve worked really hard to make the weapons "side-grades" and not upgrades.  They allow for different playstyles, but not better playstyles.  You can tell how much balancing was done, because every weapon you buy has an increase of something and a decrease of something else.  That's right.  They actually feel confident enough in the maturity and intelligence of gamers to sell you something that *gasp* actually lowers some of your stats.  You pay to have better damage protection, but then you can't jump as well.  You pay to have quicker healing abilities, but then you give up the ability to build up invincibility.  It means you can pay to enjoy another way of playing, but it won't be a better way of playing.   And then, to really make it fair, you can earn all the side-grades in the game just by chance anyway.  And this, in a free game.  This is why it is the only game where I have ever paid for these microtransactions.  And I didn't buy guns.  I bought hats and poses, because I don't like the other weapons.  I only paid for anything in order to "tip" them for giving me such a great game.

I've looked into the microtransactions in stuff like Dead Space.  I have no idea why anyone would pay for pieces of a game they paid $60 for.  I don't need to "tip" the developer.  I already paid meal and gratuity at the counter, thanks.  I don't mind paying to add desert I guess (DLC), but at $60 a plate, I expect to eat the meal at least.  It's like Tycho at Penny-arcade said: Valve realized with Team Fortress that they could sell a lot more hats when they gave away the heads for free. 

I don't see why I'd buy a gun in Dead Space when I already paid $60 for the holster to put it in. 

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » November 22nd, 2013, 5:12 pm

@Captain Crunch

Killer Instinct can be played with one free character at a time (they
are going to rotate the character at certain intervals) and then you
can purchase the characters for $5 each. However, you can also just
buy the game with all 8 characters (6 now, with 2 more in development)
for $20, or as a $40 package with all the additional costumes and a
port of the original Killer Instinct game. There's also going to be a story mode,
but that's something else that they are still working on.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » November 22nd, 2013, 8:32 pm

You underestimate the cost of developing these games compared to games of 15 years ago on top of the fact that the rate of inflation has yet to apply to videogames (games were $50-60 in the 90s as they are right now), while other forms of entertainment, such as music, movies, and toys, have increased in price over time.  

Plus, as someone who was a programmer in the game industry, I can say that the developers of these games are vastly underpaid compared to those with the same job title in different fields.  If you want the game industry to keep prices of games down, you can tell them to outsource their work to third world countries, and some studios actually do.

While I can understand the disgust you have with microtransactions and DLC, just keep these points in perspective.

Return to “Modern Gaming”