Wii U's Overemphasis on 2d gaming

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 10th, 2014, 5:43 pm

From all indications, it seems like the Wii U's 2d games are fantastic. But isn't it alarming that most of the good games are in 2d and that yet again the system is vastly underpowered compared to Sony and Microsoft when it comes to 3d prowess. To me it seems like anyone could be making these 2d games, and these games deserve an asterisk.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 10th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I don't know what you are talking about... 2D games... Maybe on the Virtual Console but on the Wii U's current main lineup there is Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Nintendoland, and more... Yes there is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze,  Super Mario Bros Wii u, and a few games announced but the console has pumping out solid title after solid title. Honestly, I don't see how it is alarming that Nintendo is catering to both audiences. In fact, I think it speaks volumes about the types of games Nintendo is content on making and their awareness of their audience's tastes. Very few (if any other) company pumps out so many consistently stellar titles as Nintendo.

It honestly seems that you are just looking to either A.) pick topics where everyone is arguing with you (troll the board) or B.) you honestly believe all the outlandish things that you seem to type up.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 10th, 2014, 6:21 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]From all indications, it seems like the Wii U's 2d games are fantastic. But isn't it alarming that most of the good games are in 2d and that yet again the system is vastly underpowered compared to Sony and Microsoft when it comes to 3d prowess. To me it seems like anyone could be making these 2d games, and these games deserve an asterisk.[/QUOTE]

Which ones do you have in mind? I assume you're not talking about virtual console...

In my opinion, all of the must-own Wii U games so far have been 3D. As much as I would love to see more great 2D games (such as an HD classic-style Metroid game), such is the nature of things.

"3D prowess" doesn't really matter as much as you might think, though. The beautiful Super Mario 3D World never so much as stutters, running at 60FPS all the way through. Same with Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (admittedly a 2D game, but with excellent 3D graphics). And again with Mario Kart 8.

For AAA multiplatform titles like Battlefield or Assassin's Creed, PC is the wisest choice anyway. Online services aren't paywalled and there's no limit to the prettiness. Xbox One and PS4 aren't bad, mind you. But they aren't going to start offering anything substantially different from or better than a PC until the exclusives start hitting in full force come 2015.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 10th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I think it's funny that from the N64 to the Wii I really wanted Nintendo to come out with an excellent 2d platformer, showcasing all of the new 2d technology. Did they? NO! They waited until this decade, leaving their longtime fans in the cold. So Rev's point about Nintendo giving the fans what they want is moot.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 10th, 2014, 8:46 pm

I have noticed an alarming trend in Stephen King making horror novels. His spy thrillers are not nearly as prevalent. And he writes no romance novels at all. What's his problem?

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 10th, 2014, 10:24 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]I think it's funny that from the N64 to the Wii I really wanted Nintendo to come out with an excellent 2d platformer, showcasing all of the new 2d technology. Did they? NO! They waited until this decade, leaving their longtime fans in the cold. So Rev's point about Nintendo giving the fans what they want is moot.[/QUOTE]

They tried, with "Yoshi's Story" ... which was kind of a turd.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 10th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Jon, what do you care? No offense, but you don't strike me as much of a Nintendo fan anyway.

To answer your question, was Sega making 2D Sonic games during the Saturn/Dreamcast era? Was Sony chasing after 2D platformers? No, they weren't, and why? Well, everybody in the industry presumed that they were dead. Why would Nintendo go back to the 2D Mario well, in the late 90's, when Mario 64 was such a critical darling, as well as a financial success?

Why did Nintendo wait until 2006 to make New Super Mario Brothers? Probably for the same reason Capcom waited until 2009 to make Mega Man 9. There was an actual market for them!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 10th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Actually, last generation (the Wii) had several excellent 2D games released from nintendo. Kirby's Epic Yarn, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are probably the biggest three titles. The generation before (NGC) didn't have much and the N64 didn't have too much either, but it didn't suddenly become cool again to have 2D platformers until the last generation. Very few 2D platformers were released during the two generations before for any console, not just Nintendo. Still, Nintendo did experiment with 2D looking games with some of their series such as Paper Mario.

In the 5th and 6th generations of consoles, 3D technology was all the rage. Most companies (including Nintendo) were flushing out the strengths of 3D games because that is what the general market wanted. Did everyone? No. But the games that were selling were 3D games. It wasn't until indie games started proving that there was still a market for 2D games that companies started making them again. If 2D games were selling strong (and if that is what the public really wanted) the Sega Saturn would have done much better, a console known for its strengths in the 2D department.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » June 11th, 2014, 2:32 am

In my opinion, this generation and last, Nintendo has been providing the best of both worlds. Since I don't own a Wii U (and believe me, I freaking want one, especially after this year's E3), I'll be using the Wii as an example. We have been given amazing 3D games, including the innovative Wii Sports, the groundbreaking Super Mario Galaxy, and the incredible adventure that is The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess. On the other hand, for those who maybe aren't too into 3D games and for retro gamers, Nintendo has been amazing as well. The multiplayer chaotic fun of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the challenging Donkey Kong Country Returns, and the unique Platformer/RPG hybrid, Super Paper Mario (my favorite Mario game on the system). In particular, Nintendo has been a huge part of what I refer to as the 2D Platformer Renaissance, and I couldn't be happier. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 11th, 2014, 5:18 am

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Jon, what do you care? No offense, but you don't strike me as much of a Nintendo fan anyway.

[/QUOTE]
You're just saying that because he transparently and obviously hates them in all his posts, smashed his pro controller to pieces, and threw a perfectly good Wii in the garbage. Clearly he is the target audience for the Wii U.

Return to “Modern Gaming”