Wii U's Overemphasis on 2d gaming

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 15th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Every single 2d Super Mario Brothers platformer starring Mario has been a top 5 system seller, that includes consoles and handhelds. So how can anyone say that a 2d Super Mario platformer starring Mario wouldn't have been popular from 1992-2006? Steer?

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » June 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Jon, your argument was initially that Wii U has too many 2D games and is underpowered. You then completely lost sight of this and moved on to expressing anger that Nintendo didn't release 2D platformers on the N64 and Gamecube, insisting that this is what their longtime fans wanted and 2D platformers were just as cool then as before. Now all you have to say is that a 2D Mario game might have sold quite well, based upon the sales figures of two handheld games over a decade apart. So your point has become so narrow and vapid as to be unworthy of any discussion, and in getting there you have repeatedly contradicted your position at the beginning of the thread. The rest of us accept that 2D gaming was not considered cutting edge at the time, and several genres all but disappeared as a result, temporarily or otherwise. You have shown that you cannot stick to a single line of argument, and will desperately cling on to your wacky theories no matter how ill-informed. If that is giving you some satisfaction then congratulations, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 16th, 2014, 9:14 am

Dog, it's blatantly obvious that neither you nor anyone can come up with any sort of proof of a decline in demand for 2d platformers starring Super Mario from 1992-2006. I'm of the belief that you and/or others have scoured the internet looking for such proof, and haven't found any. Since there is none, everyone but you has stopped arguing with me. I'm totally willing to stop posting in this thread, since I made my point and no one can refute it besides speculation. You're the only one keeping it going. It's a concession that you and others are losing this argument by changing the subject and bringing up the decline in 2d shoot em ups and fighters instead of addressing platformers. Now you're core argument is that I can't stick with one line of argument. Just admit it, there's no proof. Sorry for the bold.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 16th, 2014, 2:53 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]I'm totally willing to stop posting in this thread[/QUOTE]
Right, like you were 20 posts ago.

I don't even know what the argument's about at this point.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 16th, 2014, 3:33 pm

[QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Jon]I'm totally willing to stop posting in this thread[/QUOTE]

I don't even know what the argument's about at this point.[/QUOTE]
He wants 2D games made, then put in a time machine and sent back to 1996, where Nintendo can release them on the Jaguar. D'uh.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 16th, 2014, 3:56 pm

I gave up not because I lost, but because it's a very stupid argument that can be argued from either side until the second coming! Dude, you've already made it clear that you don't like modern- day Nintendo. Give it a rest already!

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 16th, 2014, 5:28 pm

This will be my last post in this thread. Unlike Nintendo, I'm going to give people what they want. It's funny because I know you guys scoured the internet looking for any sort of poll proving me wrong and came up empty. I won this argument in a landslide. I'm so sorry that I'm not "cool", just like 2d platformers weren't "cool" from 1992-2006. Oh wait, that was an assumption. Since Dog thought I was off topic I'll tie this in to the original post. I believe since Nintendo left there longtime fans in the dark for over a decade, that New Super Mario Brothers Wii and especially the Wii U's 2d games should have an asterisk, and I'm very delighted the system is a laughingstock and possibly their last. The only reason they put out these games and had this "2d renaissance" is because if they didn't the Wii U would have been an uprecedented, monumental failure. I'll keep in mind for future reference that one doesn't need proof to argue with me.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » June 16th, 2014, 5:35 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]Dog, it's blatantly obvious that neither you nor anyone can come up with any sort of proof of a decline in demand for 2d platformers starring Super Mario from 1992-2006. I'm of the belief that you and/or others have scoured the internet looking for such proof, and haven't found any. Since there is none, everyone but you has stopped arguing with me. I'm totally willing to stop posting in this thread, since I made my point and no one can refute it besides speculation. You're the only one keeping it going. It's a concession that you and others are losing this argument by changing the subject and bringing up the decline in 2d shoot em ups and fighters instead of addressing platformers. Now you're core argument is that I can't stick with one line of argument. Just admit it, there's no proof. Sorry for the bold.[/QUOTE]

Well, Super Mario 64 did outsell Yoshi's Island, which was released a mere year earlier.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 16th, 2014, 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Jon]I'm totally willing to stop posting in this thread[/QUOTE]

I don't even know what the argument's about at this point.[/QUOTE]
He wants 2D games made, then put in a time machine and sent back to 1996, where Nintendo can release them on the Jaguar. D'uh. [/QUOTE]

Hey, Mario just happens to have a time machine for that.

I was thinking Jons point was that since passe gaming styles may make a comeback someday, we should never abandon any of them. So Nintendo should get to work on Zork U.[/QUOTE]
[smile] Another example of the need for a "like" button on here.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 16th, 2014, 6:19 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]This will be my last post in this thread. Unlike Nintendo, I'm going to give people what they want. It's funny because I know you guys scoured the internet looking for any sort of poll proving me wrong and came up empty. I won this argument in a landslide. I'm so sorry that I'm not "cool", just like 2d platformers weren't "cool" from 1992-2006. Oh wait, that was an assumption. Since Dog thought I was off topic I'll tie this in to the original post. I believe since Nintendo left there longtime fans in the dark for over a decade, that New Super Mario Brothers Wii and especially the Wii U's 2d games should have an asterisk, and I'm very delighted the system is a laughingstock and possibly their last. The only reason they put out these games and had this "2d renaissance" is because if they didn't the Wii U would have been an uprecedented, monumental failure. I'll keep in mind for future reference that one doesn't need proof to argue with me.[/QUOTE]
Parsing argument. Checking logic. Verifying........

Analysis complete: Age estimate -- 12 to 14
Re-wording argument in simplest form: A company didn't make the thing when I wanted the thing, but now it makes the thing and I hate them for making the thing because I don't want the thing anymore.

Oh yeah, you took top prize here. Way to go little buddy!

Return to “Modern Gaming”