Zelda Wii U - reason to believe?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » January 3rd, 2014, 8:31 pm

Could this be a new landmark title?

Nintendo is on a role with their key franchises, and Zelda 3DS hints that they may have learned some lessons with their ponderously slow starts and consuming narratives that have plagued  contempary Zelda.

Zelda 3DS is simply a clinic of game design, the linear structure of transitional Zelda is blown open in favor of - find dungeon, beat dungeon. Weapons ceased to be treasures, and instead became tools - get the right tool, on your own time, for the right job, and get to work. A great side quest - THE great Zelda side quest, find Squeeks and bring them back to mama for weapon upgrades - whichever one you choose. Easy to find, hard to find, must explore world completely to find them all. But the reward pays off a little at a time as well, you can prioritize.  Dungeons have 2 big treasures - the boss key and an optional armor or sword upgrade piece - play as completely as you like. Every dungeon had its own personality and set of rules - fantastic variety.

The boss of this game series, that one guy, has said all conventions and assumptions are off with Zelda Wii U. Theey will do what they want. Assume nothing, they are not afraid to remake the series again. Will this game reform 3D Zelda in the same manner the 3DS game reformed top down Zelda - or will we see another trans formative step, ala Ocarina of Time?

Also, Wii U games look great, form Mario 3D World to Pikmin 3. It is new, classic Nintendo, and I am pshyched to see this game.

Your thougts?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 4th, 2014, 6:50 am

I said in another topic that I think making a game in the perspective of OoT (HD on Wii U of course), of about the size of the world of OoT (a world without useless filler), and with the structure and pacing of A Link Between Worlds, would be making a perfect Zelda.
For anyone still unaware of the greatness of A Link Between Worlds, on the IGN Playstation (Playstation!) podcast they were discussing how great it was and how they might vote it game of the year. On the Playstation podcast!

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » January 4th, 2014, 11:19 am

I played the game and it is very good. Lets not get carried away with the accolades, well too late for that. Combat is terrible and boring. It's too easy. The final dungeon is just a rehash of the prior dungeons. Didn't I already kill these bosses? thats original! Fun game yes, first Zelda game I ever completed. But it certainly is not without faults. Of course, this is just my opinion.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 4th, 2014, 9:31 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I said in another topic that I think making a game in the perspective of OoT (HD on Wii U of course), of about the size of the world of OoT (a world without useless filler), and with the structure and pacing of A Link Between Worlds, would be making a perfect Zelda. For anyone still unaware of the greatness of A Link Between Worlds, on the IGN Playstation (Playstation!) podcast they were discussing how great it was and how they might vote it game of the year. On the Playstation podcast! [/QUOTE]

Heh cool.  Zelda:LBW definitely deserves GOTY.  It's well worthy of it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”