PS4 vs WiiU

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Atarifever1 » March 22nd, 2015, 8:49 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Cons:
  • Cost wise, you may find the price difference to be a wash depending on what's important to you.  32 GB fills up quickly.  I recently bought a 1 TB drive for extra space.  As a whole when one includes the drive it costs the same as a PS4.
  • Short battery life for the controller.  You'll get about 5 hours of game time.  As a result, you'll want to take breaks and dock it to let it recharge.  Normally, this isn't a problem for me unless the wife is out of town for the weekend and I can seriously sink some time into a game.  Then, you're cut short which is annoying
  • Locks up - My Wii U has locked up on me more than the Xbox One or my PS4.  Lock ups occur in both disk and download games.  As a result, it's across the board and random.  However, it tends to happen if I leave the console on and let the controller charge while I do something else.  I can come back for a bit and play and then it will freeze up completely.  There's plenty of air around it so over heating shouldn't be the culprit.
  • IMHO, there's a Zelda game at the end of the life of a Nintendo console generation.  I would almost expect this is the last major year for the Wii U with 2016 being the launch date in the spring for other Wii U games (Xenoblade X) with a 2016 "new" console/handheld coming in the fall.  I think the Wii U bows out after 4 years and moves on to something else.
[/QUOTE]
That con list is a bit idiosyncratic.  My Wii U doesn't lock up, $100 is a ton of money to me and a lot of other people and HDD size is kind of "first-world problems" to me, 5 hours of game time is a luxury many of us here will never see (however, I think you are overestimating battery life there) and I very much doubt the Nintendo swan song game for Wii U is in 2016.  

All they have to do to claim an acceptable 5 year life cycle is make it one more year, and all they have to do to do that is move two or three things on the slate now forward one year.  When was the last core game from Nintendo for the Wii in North America?  2012.  Xenoblade Chronicles.  6 years.  The last Gamecube game? Twilight Princess.  2006.  Five years.  The last N64?  Paper Mario.  2001.  5 years.  Despite the Gamecube not being a huge seller, despite the N64 and Wii being dead in those respective years, Nintendo always does a swan song no sooner than 5 calendar years.  They abandon systems quickly, but never that quickly.  If you buy a Wii U now, the last first party exclusive to want will be 2017, with the "best" game coming either this year or next.  With the indie market on there, the last interesting game to get excited about will probably be a year or two after that (as deficient as the service was, Retrocity Rampage came to Wiiware in 2013, unfortunately for its developer, even though the system launched in 2006).  

ActRaiser1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 22nd, 2015, 11:51 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Cons:
  • Cost wise, you may find the price difference to be a wash depending on what's important to you.  32 GB fills up quickly.  I recently bought a 1 TB drive for extra space.  As a whole when one includes the drive it costs the same as a PS4.
  • Short battery life for the controller.  You'll get about 5 hours of game time.  As a result, you'll want to take breaks and dock it to let it recharge.  Normally, this isn't a problem for me unless the wife is out of town for the weekend and I can seriously sink some time into a game.  Then, you're cut short which is annoying
  • Locks up - My Wii U has locked up on me more than the Xbox One or my PS4.  Lock ups occur in both disk and download games.  As a result, it's across the board and random.  However, it tends to happen if I leave the console on and let the controller charge while I do something else.  I can come back for a bit and play and then it will freeze up completely.  There's plenty of air around it so over heating shouldn't be the culprit.
  • IMHO, there's a Zelda game at the end of the life of a Nintendo console generation.  I would almost expect this is the last major year for the Wii U with 2016 being the launch date in the spring for other Wii U games (Xenoblade X) with a 2016 "new" console/handheld coming in the fall.  I think the Wii U bows out after 4 years and moves on to something else.
[/QUOTE]
That con list is a bit idiosyncratic.  My Wii U doesn't lock up, $100 is a ton of money to me and a lot of other people and HDD size is kind of "first-world problems" to me, 5 hours of game time is a luxury many of us here will never see (however, I think you are overestimating battery life there) and I very much doubt the Nintendo swan song game for Wii U is in 2016.  

All they have to do to claim an acceptable 5 year life cycle is make it one more year, and all they have to do to do that is move two or three things on the slate now forward one year.  When was the last core game from Nintendo for the Wii in North America?  2012.  Xenoblade Chronicles.  6 years.  The last Gamecube game? Twilight Princess.  2006.  Five years.  The last N64?  Paper Mario.  2001.  5 years.  Despite the Gamecube not being a huge seller, despite the N64 and Wii being dead in those respective years, Nintendo always does a swan song no sooner than 5 calendar years.  They abandon systems quickly, but never that quickly.  If you buy a Wii U now, the last first party exclusive to want will be 2017, with the "best" game coming either this year or next.  With the indie market on there, the last interesting game to get excited about will probably be a year or two after that (as deficient as the service was, Retrocity Rampage came to Wiiware in 2013, unfortunately for its developer, even though the system launched in 2006).  [/QUOTE]

Of course, it' idiosyncratic.  It's my list.  [tongue]

That's awesome your Wii U doesn't give you issues.  There's someone else on the forums that has issues as well but I can't remember who it is.  Thankfully, it seems to be something that's not wide spread.  

Um, I'm pretty sure playing any type of video game is a first world problem.  [wink]  Yeah, you're right, the battery life is probably far less than that.  I think that's why I get into the habit of stopping about every hour or two and letting it recharge while I do something else.

Keep in mind my post was originally posted before Nintendo announced the NX system.  It confirms my theory that the Wii U has a shortened life cycle.  Similarly, there is only so much capacity with development staff to support a new console launch and to bring out AAA games on the Wii U.  If the NX launches in 2016 either you'll see a rush to get games done for the Wii U or ports of the Wii U games to the NX system.  And that's fine.

My point was that if you're only buying one console for this generation, you may want to think twice about it.  I still think the Wii U has great games with lots of fun to be had but longevity wise, the PS4 will be hard to beat.

If one is going to get both eventually, the Wii U is a solid choice now and a PS4 is a good choice down the road when more exclusives come out for it.

Atarifever1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Atarifever1 » March 22nd, 2015, 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Of course, it' idiosyncratic.  It's my list.  [tongue]

Um, I'm pretty sure playing any type of video game is a first world problem.  [wink] 

[/QUOTE]
Two excellent points.  Touche.  [smile]  

As for the NX being announced, you realize Nintendo first talked about the Revolution in summer 2004.  It launched for the holiday season two years later.  They talked about Revolution/Wii so early because their current console was having sales issues.  It is currently March 2015.  Their current console is having sales issues.  Expect the new system for holiday 2017.  Pretty much exactly when it should come out given Nintendo's entire console history to date.  Between 5-6 years between consoles, every time.  

As well, if people are right about it being a combined handheld/portable (I don't think they are right, but whatever), then all the more reason it will be 2017.  The New 3DS helps the 3DS stick it out the last little while, and the Wii U gets the five years it takes to not burn consumers like Sega did.  Otherwise, they rush through New 3DS  and the Wii U before cutting off one of their own arms entirely.  If they were that close, they wouldn't drop a new 3DS only to replace their console and new 3DS upgrade almost immediately.  If the 3DS only had to last until next year, New 3DS wouldn't exist.  Either new 3DS helps them reach the combined console/handheld, or they're launching a new handheld and console in 2017.  No way are they dropping one or both in 2016.  That's too much burning heading into a new system.    

ActRaiser1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 22nd, 2015, 5:01 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]
As for the NX being announced, you realize Nintendo first talked about the Revolution in summer 2004.  It launched for the holiday season two years later.  They talked about Revolution/Wii so early because their current console was having sales issues.  It is currently March 2015.  Their current console is having sales issues.  Expect the new system for holiday 2017.  Pretty much exactly when it should come out given Nintendo's entire console history to date.  Between 5-6 years between consoles, every time.  

As well, if people are right about it being a combined handheld/portable (I don't think they are right, but whatever), then all the more reason it will be 2017.  The New 3DS helps the 3DS stick it out the last little while, and the Wii U gets the five years it takes to not burn consumers like Sega did.  Otherwise, they rush through New 3DS  and the Wii U before cutting off one of their own arms entirely.  If they were that close, they wouldn't drop a new 3DS only to replace their console and new 3DS upgrade almost immediately.  If the 3DS only had to last until next year, New 3DS wouldn't exist.  Either new 3DS helps them reach the combined console/handheld, or they're launching a new handheld and console in 2017.  No way are they dropping one or both in 2016.  That's too much burning heading into a new system.    [/QUOTE]

The difference is that Nintendo likes to update their handhelds frequently.  If the NX has anything to do with portables or being portable than it clearly falls into the realm of portable hardware updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles

If you look at the DSi update, the 3DS came out 1 year later when going from the XL to the regular sized 3DS.  As a result, it's entirely possible for Nintendo to launch a new console 18 months later based on the New 3DS launch time frames.

Similarly, Microsoft phased out the original Xbox after 4 years.  They did it due to hardware pricing and went on to incredible success with the 360.  There's no reason to think that Nintendo won't make a similar jump.  

Regardless, I hope you're right.  I'd enjoy a few more years of Wii U support.

PinMike86661

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby PinMike86661 » March 22nd, 2015, 5:05 pm

It depends on what you are looking for; if you want a console filled with quality PC games (retail and indie) without having to build a gaming PC and good exclusives like Infamous 2 and the upcoming Bloodborne, then PS4 is your calling, or if you want a console with some quality PC games (mainly indie) with some quality 1st party games, but not much in the way of 3rd party games, then Wii U is worth it. Also, if you have a PlayStation Plus subscription, you can redeem your free PS4 software purchases via the PlayStation Store website, thus having free games right out of the box. If you have a decently built gaming PC, you will most likely find the PS4 and Xbox One libraries redundant, while the Wii U has some great games not availble on either console.

Atarifever1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Atarifever1 » March 22nd, 2015, 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Similarly, Microsoft phased out the original Xbox after 4 years.  They did it due to hardware pricing and went on to incredible success with the 360.  There's no reason to think that Nintendo won't make a similar jump.  [/QUOTE]

That is actually a point against your time frame.  When has "Microsoft did it" meant anything other than "so Nintendo definitely won't."  How about that Nintendo shared account system?  That Nintendo Hard Drive?  That Nintendo pay for use online network?  If I had to guess what makes it LEAST likely Nintendo will do something it would be that it is a thing Microsoft did.  [smile]  

Seriously though, if Nintendo were ever going to go with a four year cycle, it would have been the Gamecube.  Fairly unpopular system.  Sega was dead already.  Sega had already done a 3-4 year cycle on the Saturn, and two years of support on the DC before it died the same generation the Gamecube was in.  Microsoft had already done 4 years on the Xbox that generation as well.   The least costly time for them to do that, image-wise, would have been then, and they did not.  I doubt it will be different this time.  They haven't even done another price drop yet; and let's face it, the Wii U has to hit $199 some day before it's done.   

DaHeckIzDat1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 22nd, 2015, 8:23 pm

Thanks for your input, guys!  I think I'm going to go with the PS4 because... seriously, I'm drooling over Final Fantasy XV.

ptdebate1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby ptdebate1 » March 23rd, 2015, 8:55 pm

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]Thanks for your input, guys!  I think I'm going to go with the PS4 because... seriously, I'm drooling over Final Fantasy XV.[/QUOTE]

I think you made the right choice. The PS4 has a long, long life ahead of it and the free games every month are a huge plus.

Gilly1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Gilly1 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:14 pm

FYI, if you by chance have an extra(or not being used) PS3 or 360, gamestop if giving you $175 towards your PS4 if you trade in. The credit must be used towards a PS4.
By the way, I too am loving my Xbone. I like the power(even it's it's just slightly less then a PS4) and most importantly their exclusives and multiplayer. I also fell in love with the ability to turn off my console, only to have the game or app I was last using be ready to play instantly when I boot back up.
Nevertheless, I'm considering trading in my spare 250gb none slim xbox 360 to get a PS4 with Last of Us remastered for $225. Maybe pick up MLB the Show 15 which comes out soon.
Weird since I typically hate that store. Deal ends Sunday April 5th.

DaHeckIzDat1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 24th, 2015, 10:33 am

[QUOTE=Gilly]FYI, if you by chance have an extra(or not being used) PS3 or 360, gamestop if giving you $175 towards your PS4 if you trade in. The credit must be used towards a PS4.
By the way, I too am loving my Xbone. I like the power(even it's it's just slightly less then a PS4) and most importantly their exclusives and multiplayer. I also fell in love with the ability to turn off my console, only to have the game or app I was last using be ready to play instantly when I boot back up.
Nevertheless, I'm considering trading in my spare 250gb none slim xbox 360 to get a PS4 with Last of Us remastered for $225. Maybe pick up MLB the Show 15 which comes out soon.
Weird since I typically hate that store. Deal ends Sunday April 5th.[/QUOTE]

As tempting as that sounds, there are still a ton of ps3 games I want to play. Not ready to sell that one yet!

Return to “Modern Gaming”