PS4 vs WiiU

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 15th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Okay, I've recently come into a significant bit of money, and I'm considering rewarding myself by buying a new game console.  The two I want most are a PS4 and a WiiU.  I also thought about a New 3DS, but I actually prefer console gaming to portable, so... Both consoles have some great games that I really want to play, whether they're out now or releasing in the future.  PS4 has Final Fantasy XV and Type 0, No Man's Sky, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Mistborn: Birthright (which I know nothing about, but it's based off a series of books by my favorite author and I'm a friggin' fanboy).  WiiU has Super Smash Bros., Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD, Xenoblade X, and not to mention the entire Wii library should I want to go back to it.  It's a tough decision.  WiiU definitely has the PS4 beat, pricewise, but what about quality of the system and games?  In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of both consoles, and which do you think I should get?

ptdebate1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby ptdebate1 » March 15th, 2015, 5:22 pm

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]Okay, I've recently come into a significant bit of money, and I'm considering rewarding myself by buying a new game console.  The two I want most are a PS4 and a WiiU.  I also thought about a New 3DS, but I actually prefer console gaming to portable, so... Both consoles have some great games that I really want to play, whether they're out now or releasing in the future.  PS4 has Final Fantasy XV and Type 0, No Man's Sky, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Mistborn: Birthright (which I know nothing about, but it's based off a series of books by my favorite author and I'm a friggin' fanboy).  WiiU has Super Smash Bros., Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD, Xenoblade X, and not to mention the entire Wii library should I want to go back to it.  It's a tough decision.  WiiU definitely has the PS4 beat, pricewise, but what about quality of the system and games?  In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of both consoles, and which do you think I should get?[/QUOTE]

Knowing the kinds of games you like Adam, I'd say the PS4 unequivocally. You won't want to miss out on FF Type-0, FFXV, KH3, and the like. As for more stuff that's just around the corner, Dreamfall Chapters, Bloodborne and upcoming Indies like Hotline Miami 2 look great and you have the added assurance that the platform will be supported for a very long time. As much as I love the Wii U, its low sales put the long-term prospects of the platform in jeopardy.

DaHeckIzDat1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 15th, 2015, 5:50 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]Okay, I've recently come into a significant bit of money, and I'm considering rewarding myself by buying a new game console.  The two I want most are a PS4 and a WiiU.  I also thought about a New 3DS, but I actually prefer console gaming to portable, so... Both consoles have some great games that I really want to play, whether they're out now or releasing in the future.  PS4 has Final Fantasy XV and Type 0, No Man's Sky, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Mistborn: Birthright (which I know nothing about, but it's based off a series of books by my favorite author and I'm a friggin' fanboy).  WiiU has Super Smash Bros., Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD, Xenoblade X, and not to mention the entire Wii library should I want to go back to it.  It's a tough decision.  WiiU definitely has the PS4 beat, pricewise, but what about quality of the system and games?  In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of both consoles, and which do you think I should get?[/QUOTE] Knowing the kinds of games you like Adam, I'd say the PS4 unequivocally. You won't want to miss out on FF Type-0, FFXV, KH3, and the like. As for more stuff that's just around the corner, Dreamfall Chapters, Bloodborne and upcoming Indies like Hotline Miami 2 look great and you have the added assurance that the platform will be supported for a very long time. As much as I love the Wii U, its low sales put the long-term prospects of the platform in jeopardy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm drooling over FFXV like no other game that's come out in recent memory.  It has Final Fantasy graphics, and those have been used to define what a system's games are capable of even years after they come out.  It looks like it has the typical amazing Final Fantasy story.  And, possibly best of all, is the action combat that looks like it's taken right out of Kingdom Hearts.  I don't know hardly anything about Type 0, but... it's Final Fantasy, so I'm interested in it.  I don't really know what else is on the system, apart from the obvious ones like Bloodborne, but there's probably way more than enough to keep me busy for a long time.

ActRaiser1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 15th, 2015, 6:31 pm

PS4
Pros
  • PS4 has a good 7-8 years left on it.
  • The games coming out for it are really across all genres.
  • If you like adventure or point and click the PS4 seems to be the go to system this generation.
  • Indis like it.
  • Remote play works well.  If you have a Vita then it's a plus.
  • Cross-buy is awesome.  Buy one game and it will play/work on your Vita and/or PS3.
  • Playstation Plus is awesome.  If you already have a Playstation Plus account and click the "buy" buttons for the PS4 games in the web store you'll have a huge library of games already waiting for you to play.
  • The controller feels great.  There's no flex.  The sticks are spread out further

Cons
  • No "must have" games that aren't available on the Xbox One, excluding Grim Fandango.

Wii U
Pros:
  • Lots of good, AAA games already available. If you like Mario, Mario Kart, or Smash Bros you're covered.
  • Remote play works really, really well.
  • Bundles today give you great games
  • Indis like it

Cons:
  • Cost wise, you may find the price difference to be a wash depending on what's important to you.  32 GB fills up quickly.  I recently bought a 1 TB drive for extra space.  As a whole when one includes the drive it costs the same as a PS4.
  • Short battery life for the controller.  You'll get about 5 hours of game time.  As a result, you'll want to take breaks and dock it to let it recharge.  Normally, this isn't a problem for me unless the wife is out of town for the weekend and I can seriously sink some time into a game.  Then, you're cut short which is annoying
  • Locks up - My Wii U has locked up on me more than the Xbox One or my PS4.  Lock ups occur in both disk and download games.  As a result, it's across the board and random.  However, it tends to happen if I leave the console on and let the controller charge while I do something else.  I can come back for a bit and play and then it will freeze up completely.  There's plenty of air around it so over heating shouldn't be the culprit.
  • IMHO, there's a Zelda game at the end of the life of a Nintendo console generation.  I would almost expect this is the last major year for the Wii U with 2016 being the launch date in the spring for other Wii U games (Xenoblade X) with a 2016 "new" console/handheld coming in the fall.  I think the Wii U bows out after 4 years and moves on to something else.

JWK1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby JWK1 » March 15th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Hey DaHeckIzDat.

Choosing between consoles is always a fun problem to have. I may have missed it if you mentioned it in another thread, but do you have an XBox One? I think that give me the answer to your question. There's not enough time yet to differentiate between the PS4 and XBox One; they share virtually the same library. The two consoles only have one retail exclusive each that are universally praised-- Sunset Overdrive and Infamous: Second Son. Keep in mind that Bloodborne is about a week away, so that's going to change.

I was faced with the same dilemma. I don't have a One, so I went with the PS4. Even though it was hard to ignore wind waker HD, Super Mario 3d and the incredible looking Xenoblade X, third party devs just prefer the Ps4. Even when compared to the XBox. From where I stand, Far Cry 4, Dragon age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Remasters of some of the best 7th gen games and dozens of digital exclusives tipped the scales in the PS4's favor over anything the Wii U. My opinion, of course. Just 2 nights ago, I had three friends over and we played Towerfall Ascension for about 4 hours. Despite what many say-- even on this site-- the PS4's library is quite great and it's about to get a whole lot better in 2015. Boo for having to wait for 2016 for Uncharted 4, though.

It sounds like you're a JRPG fan and I think that would seal the deal for the PS4. Besides the ones pt mentioned, Disgaea 5 and a new Ys game are coming soon. If you didn't grab FFX HD on Vita or PS3 it's coming to the PS4 in the next couple of months. If you like WRPGs, Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 4 are coming, and Bioware has all but confirmed a Mass Effect trilogy remake. To me, one Xenoblade game for the entire generation isn't enough to make the Wii U compare. Most first and third party RPGs get put on the Nintendo handhelds.

I still think the Wii U is a system worth owning but I think the future is obviously far brighter for the PS4. I'll get a Wii U within the next year or so, but my PS4 will still get the lion's share of my play time. Just my $0.02.

Astrosmasher1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 16th, 2015, 8:49 am

I have an xbox1 and I really like it.  Though I do play my 360 a lot as well.  I always wanted Nintendo to come out with a great games console as I thought the wii was pants in the graphics dept.
So I would probably look at the wii U as I have a ps4 type system in the one.

If I did not have a 1 I would probably go for the PS4.  Then think about a wii u.  It does have a lot of aaa titles but they are still nintendo generational titles.  Plus a of yet no Metroid.

Vexer1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Vexer1 » March 16th, 2015, 7:18 pm

I'm going to be coming into some money soon myself and i'm planning on getting an Xbox One, PS4 looks alright, but the Xbox's exclusives and it's controller look more appealing to me overall.

DaHeckIzDat1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » March 16th, 2015, 8:27 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]If you like WRPGs, Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 4 are coming, and Bioware has all but confirmed a Mass Effect trilogy remake.[/QUOTE]

I've heard a lot of people going nuts for the new Witcher game.  Is that a game I'd have to play the first two to properly enjoy, storywise?

Astrosmasher1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 16th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Vexer the 1 is sweet.  I like it a lot.  I had the chance of getting a ps4 and was like no I prefer the one. 

Rev1

PS4 vs WiiU

Postby Rev1 » March 17th, 2015, 5:15 pm

This is kind of a hard topic. I know that it isn't always realistic to own more than one console from a generation so the real answer to your question would have to be based on how much do you enjoy Nintendo titles and is that enough to satisfy you for now? Over the last 3 generations Nintendo consoles have pretty much been solely supported by Nintendo, with very few 3rd party support. If that is enough for you there are a bunch of AAA titles on the Wii U right now, but if you want more variety and really want a taste of what this generation has to offer than I''d suggest you go with the PS4 or Xbox One. Nintendo has pretty much done its own thing the last couple of decades and the difference between what Nintendo's consoles offer and the competitors are so vastly different that I'd suggest both if you really want all this generation has to offer. If you can't do that, and Nintendo only titles aren't enough for you, then go with the PS4.

Return to “Modern Gaming”