Hotline Miami 2 - Release Date Announced and Trailer

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » February 25th, 2015, 5:31 pm

While it's been a long time coming - the game was originally supposed to come out in October of last
year - a release date has finally been announced for Hotline Miami 2. The game hits PS3, PS4 and Vita (along with versions for PC, Mac and Linux) on March 10th for the price of $15, with preorders rewarded with a 10% discount ($13.49).

Ordinarily I don't talk too much about games before they are released, but I can't resist in this case: the original Hotline Miami is one the best games I've ever played, and it's old-school difficulty, lack of hand-holding and fast-paced, arcade-style design are qualities that a lot of people on this forum seem to want more of in their games. The insanely catchy 80s-style techno soundtrack, the pastel-shaded, woozy visual design and the bizarre story added to the solid mechanics to make it a game that I still talk about and play regularly. The only caveat: the game is VIOLENT - ridiculously so. Even taking into account that the pixelated graphics make the blood and gore more abstract, I realize that this is going to be a turn-off for some people. If you're able to stomach the carnage, it's a heck of a ride that rewards repeat play-throughs, and the sequel seems to be following closely in the original's footsteps.

Here's a trailer for the sequel (which has actually been out for a while) and a live-action trailer for the original game (which makes the influence from the movie Drive all the more explicit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqr0yUuSiTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9SUPgyZRY

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » February 26th, 2015, 4:02 pm

I'm looking forward to this one, too.  I played the original on both PS3 and Vita and absolutely loved it.  I would watch reviews of it when it was a PC exclusive with extreme jealousy and plunked down the money day 1 when it released on PSN.  I'm playing a bunch of games now, so I don't know if I'll get this Day 1, but I'll get it no doubt.  Be sure to post some thoughts when you start playing it for the rest of us, huh?  [smile]

Also to echo what you said, the pixelated graphics really do make the violence even more stark. A writer at IGN said that HM2 is the most violent game he's ever played. It will be a turn off for many, no doubt. You should be aware of it and research it a bit before purchasing.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » February 26th, 2015, 11:22 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]Also to echo what you said, the pixelated graphics really do make the violence even more stark. A writer at IGN said that HM2 is the most violent game he's ever played. It will be a turn off for many, no doubt. You should be aware of it and research it a bit before purchasing. [/QUOTE]

Honest to God, I feel genuinely weird putting up the trailer for the new game for that exact reason. I sent it to a cousin in an email a few months ago and I prefaced it by saying something like "I feel like a psychotic for even forwarding you this". If these games weren't so well made I probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with them.

Return to “Modern Gaming”