Did UbiSoft screw PC gamers over?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 19th, 2014, 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I think this is the problem with PC gaming in a Microcosm, need to swap graphics cards, need to download patches/mods, half arsed ports, etc. consoles just plug and play and are already optimised for your console. Sure PC's can be more powerful but who wants that hassle when a new game is released.[/QUOTE]

It can be a fun hobby in itself if you like that sort of thing. The low cost of games is a very big plus when it comes to PC gaming. Hardware is getting really cheap too. You can build a machine 2 times as powerful as the x1 for the same price. Gamestop did one a while back.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 20th, 2014, 8:57 am

[QUOTE=Sut]I think this is the problem with PC gaming in a Microcosm, need to swap graphics cards, need to download patches/mods, half arsed ports, etc. consoles just plug and play and are already optimised for your console.
Sure PC's can be more powerful but who wants that hassle when a new game is released.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, this is a pretty poor example of that. If I understand it correctly here is what happened, if we use a console example for the sake of the console crowd:

EA makes a console game to work on the Wii U, 360, and PS4. They add additional content to the game while making it, and put it on the disc. For unknown reasons, they release a patch on day 1 that unlocks the additional content, but only for the PS4 version. Someone digs around and finds the additional content is already on the 360 and Wii U disc, but EA refuses to unlock it. Someone hacks it to unlock what is ALREADY there, and it works fine.

This is nothing to do with PC vs. Console. This is a company holding already produced content hostage for no reason whatsoever, when that stuff is already in the game! This looks like pretty scummy stuff to me.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 20th, 2014, 10:59 am

I take your point there Atarifever, however there is still the graphics card issue it's not like AMD cards aren't popular so why should a major title like this have these issues ?
I was just making the point consoles generally have a more 'out of the box' & 'plug and play' experience.

However in regards to the opening posts comments regarding why the improved settings are hidden. I'm not sure, being trusting I would say Ubisoft wanted a common PC level type experience (Like World of Warcraft does) or being cynical I would suggest Ubisoft wanted the console editions to look just as sweet as the PC versions as they are more likely to make more profit from console sales, it makes marketing sense for the new generation of consoles to have the looks and that's where Ubisoft will primarily want to drive the sales.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 20th, 2014, 11:44 am

Oh yeah, the graphics card thing is why I only do indie games and older games on PC. My "rig" is an old Dell laptop bought on sale at Walmart a few years ago. [smile]

I think anyone passing on PC gaming generally though is missing out. There's just a pile of stuff, bigger than any console ever, that plays on whatever PC you have. I'm not saying everyone should become primarily a PC gamer, but every gamer needs to dabble in it or they're missing out. There are entire indie companies making nothing other than that genre you love, in that style you love, with those mechanics you loved, that they stopped making games for on consoles whatever years ago.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 20th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Apparently the Sony exclusive missions were only "timed exclusives", meaning they will likely find their way onto Microsoft consoles as well as the PC in the future.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 21st, 2014, 3:57 am

Turns out rather than address the problems the release has, UbiSoft just released a patch to lock out this unofficial patch! Seriously? There was a fast workaround, but their statement didn't make sense.

Return to “Modern Gaming”