Nintendo NX - What Are Your Thoughts?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Hardcore Sadism

Nintendo NX - What Are Your Thoughts?

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 23rd, 2015, 1:40 am

Okay, so technically there's still a bit of shaky ground on whether or not this is a full fledged Wii-U successor.

Does the idea of what sounds like a higher-end TV Dongle/Stick/Box/Convertible seem appealing to you? I can see the potential, but I really need to see where it goes.

Rev

Re: Nintendo NX - What Are Your Thoughts?

Postby Rev » May 23rd, 2015, 10:18 am

This is such shaky news that I'm now really concerned for Nintendo. The Wii U is still in its infancy and now Nintendo is going to split up the market some more. What Nintendo needs to do is develop a better marketing campaign for the Wii U, get 3rd party support, and release games more consistently for the console. This screams Sega's Sega CD and 32X. I know this isn't an add-on to the Wii U but still... Dividing up the market for their console and souring the relationship of the company's Nintendo fans by making a new console so soon is a risky gamble. This could pay off huge for Nintendo, if it is successful, but it is more likely to sink the company if this is anything less than spectacular. I really don't want NIntendo going the way of Sega but this announcement makes me really worried for the company.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 23rd, 2015, 11:57 am

Yeah I had the same concerns myself, it really seems like Nintendo is putting the cart before the horse here.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 23rd, 2015, 3:19 pm

Rev wrote:This is such shaky news that I'm now really concerned for Nintendo. The Wii U is still in its infancy and now Nintendo is going to split up the market some more. What Nintendo needs to do is develop a better marketing campaign for the Wii U, get 3rd party support, and release games more consistently for the console. This screams Sega's Sega CD and 32X. I know this isn't an add-on to the Wii U but still... Dividing up the market for their console and souring the relationship of the company's Nintendo fans by making a new console so soon is a risky gamble. This could pay off huge for Nintendo, if it is successful, but it is more likely to sink the company if this is anything less than spectacular. I really don't want NIntendo going the way of Sega but this announcement makes me really worried for the company.

With all due respect, I don't think the NX is coming out any time soon. I'd say late 2016 at the earliest, most likely 2017 or later. This wasn't even leaked by Nintendo, and they most likely didn't want it leaked. Also, keep in mind that console developers usually start development on consoles pretty much right after the release of their current consoles, or sometimes even during development of the current console. The fact that E3 isn't going to have any info on the Wii U pretty much ensures that it will be a while before it's released.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 23rd, 2015, 3:31 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:
Rev wrote:This is such shaky news that I'm now really concerned for Nintendo. The Wii U is still in its infancy and now Nintendo is going to split up the market some more. What Nintendo needs to do is develop a better marketing campaign for the Wii U, get 3rd party support, and release games more consistently for the console. This screams Sega's Sega CD and 32X. I know this isn't an add-on to the Wii U but still... Dividing up the market for their console and souring the relationship of the company's Nintendo fans by making a new console so soon is a risky gamble. This could pay off huge for Nintendo, if it is successful, but it is more likely to sink the company if this is anything less than spectacular. I really don't want NIntendo going the way of Sega but this announcement makes me really worried for the company.

With all due respect, I don't think the NX is coming out any time soon. I'd say late 2016 at the earliest, most likely 2017 or later. This wasn't even leaked by Nintendo, and they most likely didn't want it leaked. Also, keep in mind that console developers usually start development on consoles pretty much right after the release of their current consoles, or sometimes even during development of the current console. The fact that E3 isn't going to have any info on the Wii U pretty much ensures that it will be a while before it's released.

That's totally fine, I'm not offended or anything, lol. I really hope the console isn't coming out anytime soon but you never know. It's way too soon to tell but even if the console came out in 2017, that still a lot sooner than it's competition who will probably be going with this generation until 2019 or so. Historically, consoles that have come out way sooner than their competition have failed (ie- Sega Dreamcast, Jaguar, etc) because no one is ready to upgrade or they are wanting to wait to see what the competition has in store. I'm just afraid this is Nintendo trying to make a last ditch effort to get back to the top when there are plenty of other ways that they could be successful with their current console. If a company is already planning their next console this early than they are holding back and this is a time when Nintendo should be shoving all their resources to get people to buy their console.

GamingTheSystems

Postby GamingTheSystems » May 23rd, 2015, 5:24 pm

It would be awesome if it rolled out soon and had better graphical capabilities than the PS4. This would attract third party developers.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 24th, 2015, 12:33 pm

NX stands for what?

The easy answer is New Experience.

So, what would constitute a new experience on today's consoles and high end gaming? They've already done motion gaming, portable 3D, what's left?

VR is all the rage with several companies dropping new products next year. Sony will offer their own. Will Nintendo? That's the only thing I can think of but that places them in the high end where they've stated they can't compete. They need to be profitable on every device they sell these days.

So, what about the other direction...instead of going VR where it's a solely single experience - what about trying to find devices that connect everyone in the room together?

Anyone remember the Dreamcast's VMU? Each controller had its own visual memory unit you'd plug in. Well, give everyone in the the room a mini device that connects to each other via a hive like mesh. The games are more sharable/linkable experiences with less of a single player component and more of a party game system. The controllers could be as simple as one of those Buzz systems. Maybe, Nintendo comes out with something that sits on a tabletop ala simple hologram and they go the board game route.

But who knows?

I still think they could go the high-end route while being less profitable. Support a VR unit at one time, support 2 Wii U controllers, etc. The throughput is sufficient if you can support a 1080p VR signal onto two screens. That's more than enough to drive 2 Wii U controllers and a third 1080p TV signal. The system would then be backward compatible with the Wii U. They avoid the quagmire of using the Wii U name entirely while providing a system more powerful than both the PS4 and Xbox One.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 24th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I actually would like a VMU-style device, but I'd imagine it in reverse. With the console being a 'media tablet' with physical controls and the brains being a box you plug into the TV but weighs virtually nothing.

NX17

Postby NX17 » June 7th, 2015, 4:30 pm

I think all the rhetoric and responses about the future come down to one thing with Nintendo. They need to put their full force behind one, and only one, platform. Nintendo has more than enough manpower to survive on it's own if need be and if they put 100% of their resources into one platform, then that platform will sell more, which will generate real third party support.

I think it's going to be one of either two things. Nintendo is either going to create a handheld that can act on it's own as a handheld, but comes with a dock that allows you to connect it to the TV to be a console, possibly with some added benefit. Or they will keep the lines separate still, but make the architecture almost exactly identical with the same type of medium, and playing on the console version versus playing the handheld version world be akin to playing a game on the PC with high or normal settings.

Think of all the duplicate franchises Nintendo has had to put manpower behind, if they would have just had one development cycle for BOTH handheld and architecture how much more efficient it would be. One Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, one New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, etc. It would free their development teams to work on new projects, bring back older franchises quicker, or quickly create sequels. Nintendo is essentially working at 50% capacity on any given platform because it has another platform it's spending time trying to support.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 11th, 2015, 9:47 am

I really haven't been reading much on this....so take all my ramblings and thoughts with grains o salt.

It would make complete sense if the NX was the Wii U successor. The Wii U has been a failure in terms of sales. I think it actually has the best library of games available, but I'm clearly in the minority. Gamers have abandoned it, 3rd party publishers have abandoned it....Nintendo needs to do something to make themselves relevant in foreign markets. They obviously will not come out and say it is the successor to the Wii U because that will destroy sales. They still have big games coming out for that system and it would be foolish to announce it's death prematurely.

In my eyes, the days of Nintendo releasing something like a Super SNES with it's level of games and third party popularity is over. The vidoegame industry has changed far too much and popular ideologies no longer fit what Nintendo does. Gaming has grown darker, more mature, more Hollywood. Nintendo makes games. Games that aren't afraid to be games. As other developers push the boundaries of realism and story they continue to have budgets that would make Michael Bay blush...Nintendo is only focused on making fun games. They run counter to everything else the industry seems to be in a rush to get to.

I think Nintendo is really going to have to get creative with the NX. Not just in how the console connects with gamers n families...but with what they offer in terms of games. I personally think Nintendo should try to purchase/merge another popular Japanese based company like CAPCOM or SEGA. Think about how awesome it would be if Nintendo got it's hands on something like Mega Man or Sonic. Maybe they should try and just scoop up Castlevania and Mega Man's creators. Or maybe they should purchase Platinum Games. They have the capital to make some strong moves. I think if some of the Japanese gaming scene combined it would become more relevant again.

I think Nintendo can make a splash like the Wii again. People need to stop expecting them to come out with something to directly compete with Microsoft and Sony. It ain't gonna happen. That shipped sailed with the Gamecube. They're going to keep pushing on with their "Blue Ocean" strategies and try to create new markets. I expect them to learn from the mis-fires of the Wii U and whatever the NX turns out to be...it should be more successful.

Return to “Modern Gaming”