Steam Machines?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Steam Machines?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 8th, 2015, 8:32 am

I saw one of those new Steam consoles in Walmart a few weeks ago. Basically, it lets you download games from Steam directly onto the machine, and then lets you play them on your TV like a normal console. I looked up a few reviews for it (can't remember what it was called, though), and they seemed pretty lackluster. I think I'll save my money for now, but when/if these machines find their groove, is it something you think you'll buy?

SpiceWare

Re: Steam Machines?

Postby SpiceWare » June 8th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Some of them are going to have 4K support, which could be interesting as I'm thinking about getting a 4K set later this year. My HDTV is from 2001, which predates HDMI by a couple years so I had to find an HDMI -> Component Video converter for my Mac mini DVR setup.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 8th, 2015, 12:45 pm

SpiceWare wrote:Some of them are going to have 4K support, which could be interesting as I'm thinking about getting a 4K set later this year. My HDTV is from 2001, which predates HDMI by a couple years so I had to find an HDMI -> Component Video converter for my Mac mini DVR setup.

Nice Evangelion posters! :D

I have an HDTV from 2007 with the same issues. For some reason, the Xbox One I have hooked up to it doesn't seem to have any built-in viewable area adjustment setting like the PS4 does. So I'm pretty much stuck with a cropped image from that console.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » June 8th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Heh, I thought I was the only one with old ass HDTV's. I actually use an HD-CRT in my bedroom. It looks great. No HDMI support sadly.

As for the Steam Machines, they're overpriced, and lacking in hardware, and the fact they don't use physical games means you might as well take SteamOS (or any other Linux distribution, because screw the horrible Windows systems) and put it on a PC yourself!

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 8th, 2015, 6:09 pm

I think Steam Boxes are going to be the axe in games consoles.

Now, here me out.

Gaming PC's already focus on dominant Keyboard + Mouse layouts, smaller box Ultra Settings consoles can have special controllers exclusive to them with special features such as universal remote. They would also take up less space and could have the fundamentals upgraded without needing to run a BIOS test outside of what the console already has set up.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 8th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Yeah, I don't see the point of these... If I have a physical console I'd want physical games to go along with it. Why not just put it on my computer at that point? Besides, the actual hardware looks like it wouldn't last long.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 8th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Disagreed on Windows being horrible, but agreed on not being particularly interested in these machines, you can build a better PC for less money then these things cost.

If I want a game on Steam, i'll just buy it from the service, but I see no point in buying a console for Steam games.

NX17

Postby NX17 » June 8th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Rev wrote:Yeah, I don't see the point of these... If I have a physical console I'd want physical games to go along with it. Why not just put it on my computer at that point? Besides, the actual hardware looks like it wouldn't last long.

Good point. The actual market for them is odd. If you're an enthusiast, then you're fine building your own machine for the same amount of money and more power. If you're not, then you're limited on selection anyway because it won't play most PC releases because those will need Windows and you may as well get a console. It's going to be a very niche market. Maybe as an emulation machine combo it could have some value, but I don't know how it would handle emulators on SteamOS.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 8th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I keep hearing about how PC games run and look better than console games. I'd be willing to try one out just to see if that's true, since I don't have a high end computer. I wouldn't buy one unless I was so impressed that I could see value in owning it. But even then, I think I'd rather have a PS4.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 8th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Not to sound elitist but you can actually make a game released this year look half a decade ahead of its time. Just look at ICEnhancer mods for GTA V. That is pure gold to tell you the truth.

Return to “Modern Gaming”