Irony regarding the 8th Gen Consoles?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Irony regarding the 8th Gen Consoles?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 13th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Don’t you people find it ironic that many of the more high profile/semi-high profile games such as Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes, Alien: Isolation, Destiny, Super Smash Bros. 2014, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Grim Fandango Remastered, Senran Kagura: Estival Versus, Mega Man Legacy Collection, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Titanfall, Guilty Gear Xrd. LittleBigPlanet 3, etc are all games from 8th Gen Consoles/PC if applied, are all being down ported to either the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/3DS/PS Vita if applied to the above mentioned games, while meanwhile many of these less low profile/semi-low profile games such as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Runbow, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist, Super Mario Maker, etc are all 8th Gen/PC in mind exclusive games if applied, that are even less demanding then most of the above mentioned games if applied.

Yes I know that Super Mario Maker is more high profile then some of the other less low profile/semi-low profile games I have mentioned above, but Super Mario Maker is not a 100% legit game, as it is more of a level editor then a legit game.

I mean it would make way more sense for a game like Super Smash Bros. 2014 a 100% legit game, be Wii U exclusive in mind then a level editor game like Super Mario Maker, and the same thing can be said about Rise of the Tomb Raider witch is a main Tomb Raider entry in the series is cross-gen, while Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, a more low profile spinoff game is 8th Gen/PC in mind, it should be the other way around as well, don’t you think?

Tron

Re: Irony regarding the 8th Gen Consoles?

Postby Tron » September 13th, 2015, 9:36 pm

I think it has more to do with being able to sell enough copies on the other systems to make it worth their while.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 13th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Isn't this basically the exact same topic as you posted before?

I don't think anyone really has a concept of what makes an 8th-gen game. Prettier visuals, sure, but fundamental leaps in gameplay? Not yet.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 14th, 2015, 7:29 am

This happens with every next gen release, and is why I don't understand why backwards compatibility isn't mandatory.

We Generaly spend a decade building a library of games, only to be told we can't play them on the next gen. Its a shot to the gut, and it's why I don't upgrade. And I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Developers see this too, and big budget releases are released on past gen so they make their bank roll.

I mean PS2 games were being made through 2013. I hold the PS2 in high regards as it plays PS1 games, and the Wii for playing GameCube games. I put partial responsibility of the massive success of those systems because of that fact.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 15th, 2015, 2:07 am

ptdebate wrote:Isn't this basically the exact same topic as you posted before?

I don't think anyone really has a concept of what makes an 8th-gen game. Prettier visuals, sure, but fundamental leaps in gameplay? Not yet.

If you want a great example of an 8th-gen in mind game look at titles such as Dying Light in witch that game pushes that PC/PS4/Xbox One to its proper limits thanks to the folks at Techland on Facebook: "Dear Gamers,
As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.
Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200,000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.
Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.
To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.
We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015."

See what they just said above, the game is very intense on raw hardware and only the most powerful can run Dying Light right, and a game like the 2015 Mad Max Game is very graphically impressive/close on all 3 PC/PS4/Xbox One:http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/09/mad-max-graphics-comparison-video-shows-xbox-one-ps4-pc-par/ mind you if both Dying Light and Mad Max were both on PS3/Xbox 360 along with PC/PS4/Xbox One, both games would be water down to the weakest link in graphics/scope of the project witch will ruin the 8th-gen technology potential of the PS4/Xbox One, and a game like Yooka-Laylee is not getting down ported to anything lower then the Wii U as the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS, etc do not have enough Gflop power to support Yooka-Laylee scope of the project with big levels/environments only capable on the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U respectively: http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

And the Wii U two most graphically/immersive exclusives,Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta 2 could not run on the PS3/Xbox 360 because of the Wii U slightly more powerful hardware on the GPU that does most of the tech work: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... rio-kart-8 and http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ayonetta-2 so their you have it folks, when you develop for only the most powerful hardware with less limitations, you get more immersive Next Gen in mind games in Graphics/GamePlay.

Games like Destiny/Watch Dogs are both Bullshot games that are not pushing the proper limits because of lowest common denominator catering: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destin ... 64733.html and http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/a ... atch-dogs/

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 16th, 2015, 5:52 am

A little off topic, but my sister in law was visiting the other day, and my son asked her to play Mario (Wii U) with him (which means to either let him turn into a bubble while you finish the level or to play while he watches). Anyway, she LOVED New Super Mario Brothers DS and Wii when those were still "must have" mass market technologies. Like 100 percented them, but she isn't otherwise a gamer and doesn't follow the industry at all. She was addicted immediately, and was like "I forgot how much I love this! Can I get it?" I had to explain that it was only for Wii U, and when she asked why I was like "because high definition?" Which was met with "because why?"

It's funny that she saw no reason for the console upgrade, despite obviously having lost interest in the old system, and having no problem being on iPhone number 6 in less time. I think new consoles are a tougher sell early on than other high tech devices.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 16th, 2015, 8:43 am

Atarifever wrote:A little off topic, but my sister in law was visiting the other day, and my son asked her to play Mario (Wii U) with him (which means to either let him turn into a bubble while you finish the level or to play while he watches). Anyway, she LOVED New Super Mario Brothers DS and Wii when those were still "must have" mass market technologies. Like 100 percented them, but she isn't otherwise a gamer and doesn't follow the industry at all. She was addicted immediately, and was like "I forgot how much I love this! Can I get it?" I had to explain that it was only for Wii U, and when she asked why I was like "because high definition?" Which was met with "because why?"

It's funny that she saw no reason for the console upgrade, despite obviously having lost interest in the old system, and having no problem being on iPhone number 6 in less time. I think new consoles are a tougher sell early on than other high tech devices.

Its true. Like I said above, when we finally do make the switch, we spend a good decade building a library. Then when the new system comes out, most of the games are either ported to past gen systems, or not much better than what a past gen could do giving no reason to upgrade.

GTA V is a perfect example. FPS mode could have been on the PS3 version, and the graphical updates are a shoulder shrug at best.

starcrunch

Postby starcrunch » September 28th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
Atarifever wrote:A little off topic, but my sister in law was visiting the other day, and my son asked her to play Mario (Wii U) with him (which means to either let him turn into a bubble while you finish the level or to play while he watches). Anyway, she LOVED New Super Mario Brothers DS and Wii when those were still "must have" mass market technologies. Like 100 percented them, but she isn't otherwise a gamer and doesn't follow the industry at all. She was addicted immediately, and was like "I forgot how much I love this! Can I get it?" I had to explain that it was only for Wii U, and when she asked why I was like "because high definition?" Which was met with "because why?"

Its true. Like I said above, when we finally do make the switch, we spend a good decade building a library. Then when the new system comes out, most of the games are either ported to past gen systems, or not much better than what a past gen could do giving no reason to upgrade.

GTA V is a perfect example. FPS mode could have been on the PS3 version, and the graphical updates are a shoulder shrug at best.

While that might be a good example (I don't know, because I haven't played it), there are plenty of ports-in-name-only that are abominations. Shadow of Mordor is a fine example of a game that should never have been ported to PS3. And as much as I enjoyed Inquisition, the bugs are more than enough to play it on PS4 instead of PS3 (at one point, my system didn't recognize any of my save files).

Return to “Modern Gaming”