Xbox One backwards compatiility

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: Xbox One backwards compatiility

Postby Atariboy » June 14th, 2019, 12:46 am

I'm not so sure. I suspect it's dead for good.

I'm not convinced Xbox One backwards compatibility will be difficult to achieve. All the rumors point towards PC style evolution, so it should be able to relatively easily natively play this library, much as the Wii U has perfect Wii compatibility. Plus, Microsoft is a huge corporation. If they're serious about backwards compatibility with pre-XB1 content, why wasn't the team expanding to handle both tasks simultaneously going forward?

Some are suggesting it's discontinued for the Xbox One to focus on doing even greater things with original Xbox/360 content on the Xbox Next (i.e., full backwards compatibility with all discs, along with one's digital library of 360 games). But I suspect that's wishful thinking and people reading too much into Microsoft's announcement that it will be compatible with four generations of Xbox software.

I'd bet money it doesn't go past full XB1 compatibility, with support for the same range of original Xbox and Xbox 360 games as any Xbox One can play today.

David

Postby David » June 14th, 2019, 11:01 am

Atariboy wrote:I'd bet money it doesn't go past full XB1 compatibility, with support for the same range of original Xbox and Xbox 360 games as any Xbox One can play today.

Agreed. I just looked quick - it says they've added 600 titles to their backwards compatibility catalog. How many more significant titles on either Xbox or 360 could there be? I took their announcement to mean that there weren't anymore titles to add from those libraries.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 14th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Original Xbox has tons of great titles left. There's only 40 compatible titles on the Xbox One and only a handful of those are actually hits, with most of it just 2nd tier material. Even for the original Xbox games available digitally now or in the past on the Xbox 360 marketplace (Remember the Xbox Originals line?), only 3 of my 6 downloads I bought work on the XB1.

Xbox 360 they did a much better job with, but even there there's a lot of great games missing such as Sega's Outrun Online Arcade, 1st party releases like Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, etc. I went through my Xbox Live Arcade collection a while back on the 360 for instance and believe that I concluded that my XB1 compatibility rate out of around 120 XBLA games was only 60%.

Return to “Modern Gaming”