Looks like its time for Telltale/Select Indie/Japanese Dev games to give up on PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita now!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Looks like its time for Telltale/Select Indie/Japanese Dev games to give up on PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita now!

Postby Sonicx9 » June 21st, 2016, 6:50 pm

Because Mighty No. 9 was for sure held back by the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS versions lowest common denominator hardware with many bugs/glitches/frame-rate problems and ugly graphics so the game could work with everything under the sun and so on!

I really hope that the failure of Mighty No. 9 will start to make some of the companies such as Telltale, and select Indie/Japanese Dev games to finally give up on the ghost of the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS versions of games so we can finally start to see true Next-Gen games from the above that have not made the full Next-Gen jump just yet.

Lets hope that the PS Vita port of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night can be canceled like the PS3/Xbox 360 version of Dying Light were canceled, as it will help the true Next-Gen Potential of the said game for more powerful systems. And maybe the same thing for Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria if it is not too late! And keep your fingers cross for the upcoming Telltale Batman game to be PC/PS4/Xbox One only at this point.

At this rate the only games that are from PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U that should be down-ported to the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS are as following:
Useless realistic sport/racing games

Indie games that are either 2D sprite based games such as Shovel Knight/Level 22 etc and, or Indie games with low quality 3D graphics such as Goat Simulator/Minecraft stuff etc

Kid games such as the many Toys-to-life games such as Skylanders/Disney Infinity and Lego games

Shovelware from small companies such as Little Orbit

2D sprite based games from non-indie publishers/developers like the BlazBlue series and Anime Fighters such as Nitroplus Blasterz and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition

Retro compilations such Mega Man Legacy Collection

Select Remasters of select 6th Gen games such as Resident Evil Remake/Zero and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Everything else that is High Profile/Semi High Profile games at this point should be Next Gen or die at this point of time.

Heck, even Activision has given up as the next Call of Duty game is 8th Gen/PC only.

Want to know why the recent Doom game/Overwatch are big success, nothing was held back for the said games and were able to deliver their true artistic vision like it was meant to be played.

Thoughts?

Atariboy

Re: Looks like its time for Telltale/Select Indie/Japanese Dev games to give up on PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita now!

Postby Atariboy » June 22nd, 2016, 5:04 am

I very much doubt that last-gen versions held this back technically in any way. Poor programming and design decisions were the problem, not hardware like the Xbox 360. There's nothing taxing going on here that forced them to hold themselves back from realizing their original vision in order to accommodate less capable platforms.

The closest to an argument that may exist here is if someone proposed that they spread themselves too thin by supporting too many platforms. That very well might be legitimate and have played a role in the lackluster quality of this release.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Looks like its time for Telltale/Select Indie/Japanese Dev games to give up on PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita now!

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 22nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

Mighty No. 9 was a scam and I'm glad it's dwindling below 45% on Steam.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 22nd, 2016, 7:16 pm

Even though Mighty No. 9 was a bad game. The only thing positive is it may start to make many of the Japanese Publishers/Developers/Telltale/Select Indie Games to finally give up the ghost for PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita, and only put full Focus on PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, and later the PS4 Neo/Xbox Scorpio/Nintendo NX once they come out in the near future.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 2nd, 2016, 9:11 am

You realize that the appeal of less powerful hardware is that it's not as expensive to develop for? I don't know what fantasy world you're living on, where everybody can afford to unlock the true potential of the PS4, but please come back to us.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 3rd, 2016, 9:16 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:You realize that the appeal of less powerful hardware is that it's not as expensive to develop for? I don't know what fantasy world you're living on, where everybody can afford to unlock the true potential of the PS4, but please come back to us.

You must be living under a rock, because if you have been following this well known YouTuber named ReviewTechUSA. He has been very critical of many publishers/developers still making PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita versions of current gen PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii versions because it holds back creativity/artistic visions, and bigger scopes of projects in terms of what the current main 4 can do in raw power.

If you want proof in the future. I will give you the links if you are not clear about what I am saying?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 4th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Why give up on the handhelds? Just make more exclusive games distinct from the console games.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 4th, 2016, 9:00 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Why give up on the handhelds? Just make more exclusive games distinct from the console games.

I did not mean companies give up on the handhelds for exclusives/select games. What I meant is for companies like Telltale/Select Indie/Japanese Dev games to give up on PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita versions of their PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U multi-platform games that are more major/semi-major that need to take proper advantage of the 4 current most powerful systems on the market to give us true next gen games, that is all I am saying.

Also LoganRuckman, you posted the same thing twice so delete the redundant one.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 5th, 2016, 12:08 am

ReviewTechUSA? C'mon, he's the Fox News of gaming. His fantasies of being held down by the less powerful aren't limited to videogame consoles, that's for certain.

And limitations have always been good for forcing more creativity out of the AAA industry - there wouldn't be Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy, Doom, Resident Evil, and the like, without them. Technical limitations are also the editors that gaming desperately needs as a medium, now that we have so much storage space to play with.

I'm really in no hurry for your utopia to arrive.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 5th, 2016, 8:54 am

Sonicx9 wrote:You must be living under a rock, because if you have been following this well known YouTuber

You complain when no one responds to your topics, and then call them names when they do. What's going to come of that?

Its great to share something thought provoking that you watched or read, but how about being polite. Try "I watched this guy on Youtube, and he made an argument like this []. Do you think that's a solid argument?" I have had discussions with all the people on this thread, and if you treat them politely, you might have a fun conversation.

For the topic, let's think about bringing a game to multiple platforms (porting):

Old Way: a game was developed for a specific platform, like the arcade (Pac-Man) or a console (Super Mario Bros) or computer (Doom). The game might be released on that platform, and be popular enough where there is interest in moving (porting) it to another platform. This takes time, of course. If you don't port it (like Nintendo) , that invites unauthorized ports, clones, or look-a-likes (Neutopia as a Zelda clone). The result is inconsistent quality of the same game on different platforms, possibly hurting the brand of the original game, a subpar port hurting the brand of the platform it appears on, and the game being passed its prime by the time it gets to different platforms. Its a system that can work with just a set of small teams,and with small investment over time by possibly different groups, but it has a lot of drawbacks too.

Modern Way: A game is developed with multiple platforms in mind from the start. This requires a large set of programmers and project managers, and a lot of investment up front, but some larger developers can do that. The game is developed across all the platforms substantially at the same time. This leverages the abilities of the programmers - for instance, the PS4 team may have many skilled former PS3 programmers who can assist. Playtesters use substantially the same controllers to test across platforms looking for the same issues. The advantages are many, including a much larger install base to sell the game to. The disadvantages are if resources are not available to fully playtest and debug all the different platform versions (although debugging could be a synchronized process across all platforms, so the bugs are spread about across all platforms), or your concern that features are omited from the newer platform versions altogether due to older platform limitations. That may happen, since newer platforms are better spec'd, but this generation is not the quantum leap others have been, and it that would seem bad business. Other issues like the various specs of PCs are probably just as limiting as doing older console versions. We also see the 'old way' still in evidence with games like Shovel Knight, released on different platforms over a longer period of time.

I'm a retrogamer mostly, and there is a lot about modern gaming I'm not fully on board with, but this way of modern porting of games seems to be both better business, and have a better result for we the gamers. Its also temporary, as the older consoles just keep getting older, and the newer ones have updated Neo/Scorpio versions on the horizon anyway.

Return to “Modern Gaming”